What makes a GREAT boat captain?

kaydano

Reaction score
I consider myself a GOOD boat captain. I know my boat. I know our lake. I make everyone's safety my top concern. But I'd like everyone I take out on our boat to have such a great time, that at the end of the trip, they want to buy their own boat.

So, what are some of the things you guys do for your guests that makes the experience awesome for them?

Let them drive the boat.

I ALWAYS make my guests ask, "Permission to come aboard, Captain?"

My goal is to make it a memorable and safe trip. Down here especially it’s fun taking people out (especially northerners like myself) and showing them the vast sea life. It’s fun watching their reaction when we see dolphins, sting rays, manatees etc. I always let passengers know where the life jackets are and I’m never afraid to cut an outing short due to incoming weather. While at times it’s not the most popular call to make on the water I’m the captain. Like Semp said it’s always good to let someone get behind the wheel and experience the controls.

I like to ensure they have a good time. Certain people like to swim or float others like to beach on an island or sandbar. I always point out wildlife and impressive camps along the way and most everyone on my boat likes to pub crawl

Well I think I'm pretty good Captain also. But ! the Boat is either going "to fast" or "to slow" the music is "to loud" or "not loud enough" the weather is "to chilly" or "to hot" and by the way "can we go to that side of the lake" But through it all they keep coming back for me to be "The Captain "

We always provide beach towels and plenty of water and Gatorade for our guests. We let them choose what to do while on the water (tube, swim, slow of fast cruising), and the pick the music.

We always provide beach towels and plenty of water and Gatorade for our guests. We let them choose what to do while on the water (tube, swim, slow of fast cruising), and the pick the music.

LOL. This Captain (me) approaches it quite differently!

51RGauoMA8L._SY450_.jpg

Friends that we take on the boat are treated to some good food/drink and cruising around to check out some of the beautiful homes on our lake. We also give them the option to tube, ski, wakeboard, stand up paddle board or just hang out and float in a No Wake cove.

LOL. This Captain (me) approaches it quite differently!

View attachment 26324
I like that,...and that is the approach I'd most likely use. Safety would be the utmost concern for me as a captain. I know that when I had my little 14 ft. utility-v aluminum fishing boat,...if it was TOO windy,....I DID NOT go out. If storms were predicted,...same deal! When you're on/in my boat,you obey my rules,and things are done MY way!

Back