What vehicle are you towing with?

The ecoboost is building boost at 1800 rpm? Must be a tiny turbo.
Twin turbo and reaches max torque at just under 2000 rpm.

Steve

One also has to look at other factors.  Vehicle tow packages usually always have a higher diff gear ratio which helps tremendously with towing heavy loads.   Also, just plain old horsepower can be misleading.   Example, I had a 2012 GMC Acadia with larger V6 engine and over 300 HP with tow pkg and it struggled towing the pontoon/trailer to the point it was embarrassing to go up an incline.  It rarely ever got into the highest gear unless going down hill.  That is the main reason I traded for the GMC Yukon Denali with 6.2 L V8 engine and over 400 HP and tow pkg.  The difference is night and day between the two vehicles when towing the pontoon/trailer. 

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with the V8, the Ford Ecoboost six cylinder in a f150 has more towing capacity, more torque, etc. than their own small block V8. The capacities are better than almost every small block V8 by any auto manufacturer. That little 6 is a beast! And with the Max Tow package that little 6 gives you your 11,000 pound tow capacity you're looking for.

Steve
My bad. Apologies. I stand very corrected. The new Fords with Ecoboost are true tow vehicles I agree.

I'm personally a believer in the V8, but that doesn't make Ecoboost any less a great option. I just forgot about it when I was posting.

I have 2 pickups I tow with, 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins and a 2010 Dodge 1500 5.7 Hemi, Both are 4X4 auto transmissions and both are quad cabs both have ranch hand front bumpers.

Hp really has little to do with towing, torque is much more important and at what rpm the torque is achieved.

Towing capacity can be miss leading too. How much tongue (and in 5th wheels pin weight)? It's pretty easy to exceed load capacity depending on tow vehicle, what you're towing and how your tow vehicle is loaded.

Look at the yellow capacity sticker in the driver door jam. My truck allows 1465 load capacity & 9800 tow capacity, I'm only pulling 4000lbs. Now put 25 gallons of fuel in my truck, my wife and my large rear end and we are now at 1000. Add loaded coolers, clothes, pet, and the tongue weight and you see where this can go. It may be the load capacity that is the problem

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... I'm in a quandary. My truck has 98k and my extended warranty is up in Jan. I'm looking at a new F150 ecoboost, 5.3 gm,or I have the option for a 2009 yukon denali w/ 6.2. (66k mi) from in-laws who have had it since birth. Coming from a 6.0 I am struggling with the f150 v6 and even going down to a 5.3. I think I'll miss my truck if I step into a yukon. Thoughts? Price is not the issue. Power is. When towing I usually tow 300 miles at a pop. I guess I could pull a Smitty and go with the yukon, if I miss my truck in 3 days I'll just trade. Never mind ...I knew if I talked it through with you guys you'd give me a lighted path to follow. Thanks Smitty!!!!

I've towed our boat once so far with no issues at all. Didn't even feel it back there. Not sure if your truck is going to be a daily driver as well but my Z71 gets great economy for my commute. My route consists of 45 miles each way of farm land but I'm happy with the big truck.

5A6B87F1-ED1F-4F05-85E2-B9C0A2769E12_zps2002uqqv.jpg

The new gm 5.3 (355hp) has 3 more horsepower than my 2009 6.0L suburban.  Interesting is that on E85 it makes 380hp.  One advantage of the new ford pickup is the lighter weight of the trucks with the large amount of aluminium body panels.  

Don't you want some weight though in your tow vehicle? Seems like a long, heavy boat being towed by a light truck could spell disaster. Traction might become an issue as well at the ramp. I ran e85 in a company car I had and the gas milage was terrible. I'd be curious to see what the cost/distance relationship would be though.

One advantage of the new ford pickup is the lighter weight of the trucks with the large amount of aluminium body panels.  
Till you need bodywork done !!  :blink:

Due to the nature of alum. dust and metal, special handling must be instituted. I read an article that stated an average of $50-100,000 for body shops to update to work on alum paneled stuff.

This is just one of the articles ..... http://www.autoinc.org/get-ready-aluminum-shop-repair-ready/

lakeliving do you have any hills, 

Not flat but not hilly. Slight rolling with some flat areas.

Don't you want some weight though in your tow vehicle? Seems like a long, heavy boat being towed by a light truck could spell disaster. Traction might become an issue as well at the ramp. I ran e85 in a company car I had and the gas milage was terrible. I'd be curious to see what the cost/distance relationship would be though.
Ford took out about 700lbs if I rememeber right.  There is a formula for the additional MPG gain per hundred pounds.  The truck will still be heavy enough for towing.  

The E85 in our town was 20% cheaper.  My superintendent has a flex fuel Dodge and loses 10-15% so it works for him.  There are less BTUs in E85, causes the lesser fuel mileage but the extra volume of fuel runs the engine cooler so they can program in more timing which is where the extra HP comes from.  I used to run 100% methanol in the drag car and used twice as much fuel per pass than when running gasoline.  

I was just looking at the 2015 Chevy pickups, 1 hour ago, and the Highway mileage was 24. You are doing very well at 28.  

Looking at the Fords soon. 

That is with the cruise set to 57mph on back roads. It would for sure be reduced at 70+mph highway speeds. I might have to start running E85 if it would have 380hp. But then my 28mpg's will drop to around 7 from accelerating like an A hole. It already gets to it when passing.

I really miss the torque in my old school pickup with a 350 in it :(  GM keeps getting smaller unless you spend over 50k  most local dealers around Nashville have a lot full of 4.3Lpick ups  its getting crazy!

I'm on my rampage again.

Lol!! You guys are talking "miles per gallon", while our toys eat "gallons per mile" .... :)

Ok... I'm in a quandary. My truck has 98k and my extended warranty is up in Jan. I'm looking at a new F150 ecoboost, 5.3 gm,or I have the option for a 2009 yukon denali w/ 6.2. (66k mi) from in-laws who have had it since birth. Coming from a 6.0 I am struggling with the f150 v6 and even going down to a 5.3. I think I'll miss my truck if I step into a yukon. Thoughts? Price is not the issue. Power is. When towing I usually tow 300 miles at a pop. I guess I could pull a Smitty and go with the yukon, if I miss my truck in 3 days I'll just trade. Never mind ...I knew if I talked it through with you guys you'd give me a lighted path to follow. Thanks Smitty!!!!
Wait for the 2015 f150 going to change towing as we know. A 1/2 ton truck rated to tow 13,000 lbs with a 3000lb payload!! It's like buying a 250 or 350! And to date looks like 28mpg.....

Steve

2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Xtra Cab with the tow package. It is alot like having a parachute behind me at 55+ but on the back roads and at the ramp it is perfect.

2006 GMC Serria Denali 6.0 I put air bags on the back to level the ride. Zero, issues so far pulling 300 plus miles on Interstate travel. I do have electric brakes which is nice.
Changed to a 2014 Silverado 5.3. Wondering if I need air bags...

Back