Where do you go boating mostly?

Bugsbunnyboater

Reaction score
Where do you spend most of you time boating?

River 

Lakes 

Open water IE offshore , the intracoastal, Salt water. 

My new to be boat lived in Port Bolivar that's close to Galveston, Tx 

My test ride was in the intracoastal. 

Now it lives in a wet slip,on the Neches River brackish water. 

Inland Waterway ,Northern Michigan /gallery/album_351/gallery_4015_351_10479.jpg

Lake St. Clair and St. Clair and Detroit Rivers.

I grew up fishing on Lake St.Clair . We used to ride our bikes to 9 mile & Jefferson fished on the point .

When I got older I started "fishing" at Brownies . :p

Lake Marburg, Hanover, Pa.

In spring, full water level, it's about 3.5 miles from southwest corner to the damn on NE corner and about 2.5 miles from the SE corner to the farthest cove in the middle of the map 

Lake-Marburg.jpg

This is before the lake was filled in early 70's. Thats the damn in the distance and a farm that's now on the bottom of the lake .... 

133837008.804uWzop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you SemperFi, I boat on a man made lake that was created to control flooding downstream in the Hudson River.  It was mainly paid for by the Capital District and is now overseen by the Hudson River - Black River Regulating District.  With 125 miles of shoreline it is 29 miles long and 6 miles wide at the widest part.  Tourism is obviously quite important to the local economy and surprisingly that includes the winter almost as much as the summer as it offers snowmobiling, ice fishing and motorcycle racing on the ice.  Love our lake and so glad our lakehouse is a short 55 minute drive door to door

Alum creek lake just north of Columbus mostly, we can be in the water in less than an hour.  Lots of other lakes within two hours of us.  Made one trip to the Ohio river in our old boat, it was neat, might try again.  Try to go out of state at least once or twice each season.  May have to try Erie sometime.

mattb, we always talk about going to another lake but have never done it and I don't know why we don't.  For ease we talked about just bringing the two seadoos to other close by lakes so we could explore but haven't even done that.  Next year I am going to make sure we do visit some of our neighboring lakes

We are on a 400 acre lake SE of Traverse City MI. Boat is in water in front of our place. Thought we would take it elsewhere occasionly (don't have a trailer, but have one easily available), but never have. 

We trailer to several different lakes.

1)  Bald Eagle State Park/Dam in Central PA, 1/2 hr travel time.

2)  Raystown Lake/Dam near Huntingdon, PA,  45 mins travel time.

3)  Finger Lakes in Upstate NY, 2.5 - 3 hrs travel time.

Houghton Lake, MI is where we keep our Benny. At over 22,000 acres, seven miles long and about five wide, it provides plenty of things to do and places to go. 

Gulf of Mexico, Caloosahatchee River, ICW from Ft. Myers to Sarasota, Charlotte Harbor, offshore to 15 miles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Coraville (mudhole) Reservoir, Lake Rathbun, Lake Red Rock, and LOTO.

I drive across Lake Macbride everyday at least twice sometimes 4 times and I have NEVER been on a boat on that lake. One day I will! It's a beautiful lake with a 9.9 restriction.

I drive across Lake Macbride everyday at least twice sometimes 4 times and I have NEVER been on a boat on that lake. One day I will! It's a beautiful lake with a 9.9 restriction.

Maybe you can peel off the 2's and 0's on the motor and call it a 5 SHO. Might get away with it. What ya think.

Hey, a lake with a suckier restriction then ours .... then again, years back ours was 9.9. Some boats still run them. 

We are on the St John River in Florida. From where we are we can boat upstream (going South) for over 25 miles, and downstream (river  flows north to Jacksonville, and into the Intracoastal) for over a 120 miles. Many more miles of "dead rivers", large lakes, and other channels. Our Benni is in a wet slip, inside of a boat house, just 9 miles from our home.

If we chose to, we could trailer east 15 miles to the Intracoastal at New Smyrna beach. GREAT place to own a boat!

Tooner, I think you are pretty close to us, we are in Merritt Island.  Going to be our first year as snowbirds

Lake Norman NC. 

32000+ acres of fun! There are so many little coves to hang out in and nooks and crannies to explore. Not to mention the many wonderful waterfront restaurants you can pull up to for a quick bite to eat or a special meal. 

There are a few other lakes in the chain that you can trailer to but this is the largest by far......

Back