Whitehall, MI

JaccFrost

Reaction score
Any one around the Whitehall, Mi area? I am just curious. My wife and I just bought a 21 SLX and planning on hitting the waters as soon as possible near home

Welcome and nice boat. Unfortunately I live where it's warmer.          :p

I'm in Michigan but down in Howell. Congrats on the new toon and welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just wish, now that I have a boat anways, that the weather was a little warmer to be out on the water. I still have got in wet yet, and I am eager and anxious! I suppose the wife is too, lol.

Not so warm here either, but we are also really close to Lake MI, so that plays a big part. Got a high of 65 (ish) here, Saturday looks like almost 70.  We finally got the boat out for the first time friday (May 22). We were only out for about an hour, but it was not-so-warm. First launch wasn't bad, and first retreival not so bad either. This was a first for my wife and I, we have never had a boat and have never launched one either. Need some practice getting used to it and backing a trailer, but I will get it eventually. Thankfully the ramp was not busy, which is good for a first timer like myself.

I pull mine with an Envoy too.  My boat and trailer weigh in just over 5000 lbs. on a truck scale.  How does yours pull?  I feel like mine is marginal, even with the air suspension and V8.

I pull mine with an Envoy too.  My boat and trailer weigh in just over 5000 lbs. on a truck scale.  How does yours pull?  I feel like mine is marginal, even with the air suspension and V8.
I am actually pulling with an '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi-fied). Not sure of the weight of the boat and trailer, but I am curious. Pulls really well I think. Having little to no experience, I was pleasantly surprised. We don't trailer far which is nice, once I get more comfortable with the launching and increase the speed at which I can launch we are going to hit other lakes. I don't live directly on the lake, but have a lake view and use a nice ramp maybe 5 min drive away. We thought about leasing a slip at one of the local marinas, but they are about $1500.

We just bought a 20SFX, and have rented a slip on Lake Cadillac. Towed it from Traverse City to Cadillac with an '05 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi - no problems on the hills, except watching the computer tell us "6.9 mpg". First time launching a boat this size, but no problems. Lovin' the boat!

I would agree, those Hemi's pull really well but the gas mileage is something to be desired. I imagine it is probably this way when pulling anything this size though.

My wife and I's first launch went well too and everyone thereafter. I have gotten much more confident trailering and launching which is nice.

You are going to love it. We have been out close to every weekend possible and consider them our mini vacations. If you don't mind me asking, what does a slip run on Lake Cadillac?

Last edited by a moderator:
We boat at Hardy Dam most of the time.  You should pull that toon on over here this summer.  It's 17 miles of waterway from the dam to US-131 with plenty of areas to stop and enjoy.  Give me a shout if you do.  I can show you the way LOL. :) .  Or head up to Crystal Lake (Benzie Co.) or Torch Lake for some of the most beautiful water in the state.

BTW, I pull with a Hemi too. 

I was suppose to be up at Hardy Dam today. My co-workers will be there today at 1 for a site visit. I work for Consumers.

Ben & Suzy, Hardy Dam is on our list of places to check out as well. I have also heard great things about Torch lake. I have kayaked Glen lake and that lake is quite awesome as well!

Being my first boat, my wife and I were building experience and confidence on our local lake (trailering to and from / launching) before venturing elsewhere.

Another near by lake we want to go to is Silver lake. I spent a lot of time out there as a kid, but lower Silver lake gets really busy and they have only one ramp and upper Silver lake is a private lake, which sucks. .

+1 on Glen Lake. My wifes family has a place on little glen accross from the dune climb and it is beautiful.

Lakeliving, jealous of your in-law's property, I hope to have a place there someday. My wife and I first came across that lake a couple years ago while doing a color tour and instantly fell in love with it. I have always wanted to spend more time up on that lake.

Ever since Good Morning America named it the most beautiful place in America (which it is :D  ) that whole area has changed. Now it is super busy. Hopefully your dream becomes a reality and you get on the water there full time. The fishing is good too.

394DFD4D-1247-43C9-936E-2A958E303264_zpsuexhcljs.jpg

Never knew GMA recognized Glen Lake. Cool that it had the recognition, but at the same time, keeping it a secret would have been nice too.

I do wish they had more parking space at the launch though. Having a 21' leaves me with a long trailer and if it is busy, not much room to park. I don't know if there are more than one launch or not, but I only know of one. (If heading north, cross the dividing lakes bridge and take a road shortly after to the west).

I have not had the pleasure of fishing the lake yet, but I wish I was closer, at least be able to stay a weekend on the lake with lake access so I could leave the boat in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or head up to Crystal Lake (Benzie Co.) or Torch Lake for some of the most beautiful water in the state.
Ben, let me know when you are next headed to Crystal (my home port)!

Back