Who has the new Mercury 150?

crvtt

Reaction score
My dealer services both Mercury and Yamaha.  Both are about the same price.  The dealer prefers the Yamaha 150 but I've read a lot of good things about the new Mercury 150.   Does anyone have the new Mercury 150 and if so, how do you like it?

I don't have one ,yet .

Barring any unforeseen circumstances  ,I will be ordering the Mercury 150 on Saturday on a 2014 RCW

Kaydano on here has one and loves it. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I have always heard Yamaha is bullet proof. The f150 is a proven motor.

Cannot go wrong with either one.

My dealer also says the F150 is bullet proof.  I have two Yamaha wave runners and they've been been excellent. If I order one I'll be ordering without test driving either motor so I have no first hand experience as to which I prefer.

We have had the new Mercury 4 stroke 150 for about one and half years now, It's on our 2012 Bennington 22SSI. I have 80 hrs on it, runs quite & smooth, great on fuel. No problems, lots of torque, pushes the tritoon to 41mph (GPS). It had a recall for the alternator mounting bracket. So Far so good!

RiverBill

Just so I am clear on this .Is it the 150 LDR ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just returned from the dealer ,he told me the LDR is the new model .Introduced for the 2013 model year .

I guess I should visit the Mercury site before I order Saturday .

Have the Merc 150 Fourstroke on my 18' Ranger. Works great, very quiet, lots of torque, lots of top end. 61mph gps.

The same question was asked today in bbcboards.net--the huge bass fisherman website.

All the answers of owners were very positive.  One of the premier Mercury engine dealer/mechanics in the country chimed in, and he is very, very impressed with the 150 FourStroke.  On 18' bass boats, the owners are getting about 58 mph out of them, and none of the owners will ever to go back to 2 stroke motors.  It was said that they're smooth, quiet and have good punch "out of the hole."

The best thing about the Merc. is that they can be purchased via internet for $10K, not including controls or installation.  That's maybe $3K less than a Yamaha F150.  As far as I can tell, they run exactly the same top speed as my F150 Yamaha.  You can keep the gauges and throttle simple and conventional, or you can make them SmartCraft and fly by wire (like Verados.)

I would not go with a 4 cylinder Verado for the 150, Go for the newer 150. Simple, torquey, easy to service, much less expensive. Great for toons.
I agree, that is what my plan is .Just waiting for Saturday now .

I've driven both. I'll take the Yamaha all day long. It's a smoother running engine with quicker throttle response. The Merc is a nice cookie cutter motor, but it lacks the finesse of the Yamaha. There's a reason the Merc is less money.......it's the sum of its parts. It'll get the job done, but it's a far cry from a Yamaha F150.

I just went to the Bennington build a boat site .

I priced out the Mercury and the  Yamaha 150 ,20 inch transom ,and built them identical .

The Yamaha is $300 less that the Mercury and that is adding in the water fuel separator ,for the Mercury .

Keep in mind that those are List Prices , there may some programs going on now .

Speak to your dealer .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat-Search.php?action=list

Nope been retired over 6 years ,still wake up early .

Plus I have this new order on my mind ,trying to make sure we get everything we want .

That build site is getting a lot of use this week .

Geez, I thought I was the only one up all night!

I just went to the Bennington build a boat site .

I priced out the Mercury and the  Yamaha 150 ,20 inch transom ,and built them identical .

The Yamaha is $300 less that the Mercury and that is adding in the water fuel separator ,for the Mercury .

Keep in mind that those are List Prices , there may some programs going on now .

Speak to your dealer .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat-Search.php?action=list
Given the choice and the price was about the same, I'd go with the tried and true Yamaha F150. My dealer says the only one he's had any problems with was used in salt water. And I understand the horsepower's very conservative--running 160+ horsepower.

I've completed my second Summer on mine, and it's been flawless.

Back