Who's been towed?!?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Check your insurance policies about your towing coverages. Our boats engine shut down earlier this week but we were able to return to our dock. Our mechanic was out of town and wouldn't be available until after Labor Day. Yesterday I called TowboatUS to arrange for a tow to a ramp about a mile or so away so I could put it back on the trailer and told them where our slip was. He said that our insurance policy says that if I wasn't broken down someplace and it wasn't an emergency I would have to wait for a week day for a tow from a slip or boathouse. What?!? Doesn't sound right to me. I told him if I went to the slip pushed my boat back into the cove anchored and called you back would you come?!? He said yes! I know it's a holiday weekend and know they're busy but............ I have BoatUS underwritten by Geico. I have $300 per tow. TowboatUS charge would have been $165 an hour and he said it would have been at least 2 hrs........Ill have to do some research.

Thanks again to Carl and Suzi for the tow to the ramp..../monthly_2016_09/large.image.jpeg.88cdb3efe8d9ed0a568b89dcf598c746.jpeg

You guys are more than welcome and thanks for dinner.  :)

Daril, thanks for sharing real world experiences with these services. I know I never want to read the fine print but somehow willingly write checks for all kinds of this stuff that is full of loopholes.

We've never been towed (knock on wood) but we have towed enough people in that we have quite a few "pay it forwards" in the bank.  Last weekend we towed a bass boat that wouldn't start back across the lake to the ramp where they had put in.   

Yesterday we came across a pontoon that had run out of gas about 100 yards from the fuel docks.  Worst part a jet ski came up on them first and was going to tow them in until the tow rope they threw to them got sucked into the intake and stalled the ski....now 2 vessels dead in the water.  The pontoon called the marina (that owns the fuel dock) before we and the ski arrived and they were on the way......bet that 100 yard tow cost them close to $100.  Not to mention the now dead in the water ski.

For the most part on our lake if you see a boat having problems there normally isn't a problem finding another boater to give you a tow.

In 40 years, Ive been towed one time. But for the life of me, why doesn't the boaters of today take care of each other! I know that I've towed  more distressed boats into safe harbor than I can remember. You just should not leave a fellow boater behind! But then again,there seems to be no looking out for each other anymore. And it even has effected the boating world. What a shame.Really happy to hear a story like this!

We've never been towed (knock on wood) but we have towed enough people in that we have quite a few "pay it forwards" in the bank.  Last weekend we towed a bass boat that wouldn't start back across the lake to the ramp where they had put in.   

Yesterday we came across a pontoon that had run out of gas about 100 yards from the fuel docks.  Worst part a jet ski came up on them first and was going to tow them in until the tow rope they threw to them got sucked into the intake and stalled the ski....now 2 vessels dead in the water.  The pontoon called the marina (that owns the fuel dock) before we and the ski arrived and they were on the way......bet that 100 yard tow cost them close to $100.  Not to mention the now dead in the water ski.

For the most part on our lake if you see a boat having problems there normally isn't a problem finding another boater to give you a tow.

But for the life of me, why doesn't the boaters of today take care of each other! I know that I've towed  more distressed boats into safe harbor than I can remember. You just should not leave a fellow boater behind! But then again,there seems to be no looking out for each other anymore.

I know what you mean by people not being very helpful to fellow boaters in distress.  I get the feeling at our lake has been taken over by a bunch of visitors that one don't know the lake and two have no idea of the boating etiquette.  AKA "no wake" zones aren't the place to practice wake surfing or to motor through at 25mph.   Who has the right of way when there is boat crossing traffic?  Had a wakeboard boat cut across the bow of our boat at a distance of 15 feet and WFO to boot.....thanks for the rough water moron!   The poor 20 foot pontoon coming out the channel in front of us yesterday just about got swamped by a large cruiser as he thought the no wake zone didn't apply to him as he cut through a pair of boats coming into the channel "at no wake speed". I really need to mount the camera and shoot some video of these stupid people.

The worst part of the whole pontoon that ran out of gas is the fact that probably 10-12 boats went right by and didn't even stop to check on them.  It was a full boat with family and kids on board.   We never leave a boat stranded out on the lake (especially if there are kids on board) because next time it could be you with an issue.  

The best broke down boat story was last year on the 4th of july another full boat with family and kids (pontoon with dead motor stranded out on a busy channel) and people were actually tubing and skiing past them on both sides.  Yes we towed them into the marina to get the boat checked out and to see if they were going to need a ride back to their house or dock if the boat wasn't going to be a quick fix.   They thanked us a bunch of times for coming along and towing them in. Then kept asking how much they owed us for the tow once they were tied off at the docks.  We told them we believe in the "pay it forward" program so the next time you see someone stranded out on the lake take a few minutes out of your boating day and help them out just like we did for you.

If I correctly recall, in NC it is illegal to not offer aid to a stranded vessel.  Even if that's not true, I find it discouraging that so many people would leave a fellow boater stranded.  I've already towed three people in my short time owning the Benni.  It's great having the power to do so at a decent safe speed. 

We have helped many boaters over the years. Unfortunately in this day and age people are too busy or from a safety standpoint just don't want to get involved. They don't know who they are stopping help. 

At Lake Anna we had a couple people stop to ask if we needed help when Diane was using the changing enclosure. It sits right on top of the motor pod and they thought our engine hatch was open.....

I'm happy to report that from all appearances, boaters helping boaters is alive and well on our lake. Although I have not had the opportunity to do so yet this year, I have seen a number of tows taking place. And like many on this board, I've done my share over the years. Given the size of our lake, it could easily turn into a several hour adventure.

One time it was getting late on a Sunday night with the wind picking up and very few people out. We were headed home and came across a boater dead in the water. Of course, they needed to go the opposite direction, so by the time we got them back to their marina, it was dark.

All this time I was running low on fuel so I was concerned about having enough to get back myself. As such, I stayed close to shore and sure enough, we ran out of gas still several miles away. So I had to jump into the water and pull the boat close to shore. Having no one to call to help us, I started walking down the shore hoping to find someone still at their cottage, which I eventually did. They were kind enough to give me a gas can full of gas so back I went to fill the boat, then back again to return the can. All the while, my wife was back on a rocking boat (windy night) with three kids, one about a month old, and everyone getting cold. 

I knew from the beginning that stopping might put me at peril at some point due to the fuel issue, but I couldn't imagine leaving the other boat stranded in the middle of the lake. 

I'm in the Coast Guard Auxiliary on Lake Norman and just last week received some in depth (hmmm, saying in depth seems wrong in this context, oh well) training on stern and side towing.  I even learned how to transition from a stern tow to a side tow (for docking, etc.).  We're trained to first ask the stranded boat if they've called someone or would like us to call someone on their behalf.  If not then we offer to call the commercial operators for them if it's not an emergency because we're not supposed to interfere with commerce on the lake.  If the people say they don't want them or if their situation can deteriorate, we are allowed to tow them to the "nearest safe harbor" which might not be where they want to go.  "Deteriorate" is a judgement call.  Will it be dark soon?  Do they have safety gear?  Do they have drinking water?  Are they in an area where they could get into trouble (middle of the channel, floating near a bridge, etc.)?  Truth is we enjoy it for many reasons not the least of which is helping someone out.  Having a bridle for BOTH boats really helps and I will eventually get one set up for my own boat.  With a bridle (harness) made up you can attach to both your rear cleats and safely straddle your prop, and you can attach to both their front cleats (one guy even made up clips for the eyelets on most pontoons) to make for a nice, STRAIGHT tow.

Well, we pulled another "swimmer" from one of the rental pontoons on our lake yesterday. She jumped in out in the middle and I guess got scared. At first we thought she was playing around but we swung around and I yelled "do you need help?" She yelled "I need a thing" (vest) I threw the throwable, but did not even come close. Hammered the throttle and spun around for her to grab the front of the toon and pulled her up in. We returned her to the rental toon and I then proceeded to explain to them how three people have died over last couple years, two of them from accidental drownings, one from drinking and knocking is head on the dock when he slipped. I warned them, this lake is not a swimming hole, especially in the 60' deep channel. Stay on the sides to play around in the water. THE WORST THING WAS 2 others jumped in to try to help. I told them NEVER JUMP IN to help without a life jacket on. A drowning person will pull you down with them...... Just another day on the lake .....  :blink:

Oh, and we've towed a couple that ran out of gas. All we asked was "pay it forward" but they insisted on at least a $20 bill. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have towed a couple boats with our toon. The first is when we only had about 4 hours on the clock. They lived down a tight canal and there was no way I was going down there. I got them to the mouth of it and called it good. About a month ago another family we talk to every once in a while flagged us down and they ran out of gas. In lieu of towing I just ran home and brought out 2 gallons for them.

Oh, And Daril.....time for a new reliable boat!

Never been towed but have certainly towed many.  It's just the right thing to do because you never know when that person in distress may be you.  We pulled in an older gentleman several years ago who was in his really small pontoon boat on the other side of the lake.  It was very hot and very windy.  He was actually trying to paddle into the wind in order to get home and he was going nowhere fast.  He finally anchored it, jumped into the water and swam to shore and then walked past our house to go home.  I wasn't home but my wife was and saw all of this.  We didn't even know this guy at that point because he was pretty new to out neighborhood.  My wife walked out to the road as he walked past....soaking wet.....and offered to help.  So she took him on our boat and drove back out to his boat and then towed him back in.  Turned out some (insert swear word here) kid had poured something into his gas tank causing the engine to die.

The really positive ending to this story....other than the obvious helping of our neighbor....is that we are now very good friends with him....often picking him up and taking him on our boat while he brings the wine for an evening slow cruise around the lake.  I echo what others have said about how much of our society doesn't look out for each other anymore.

We have towed a couple boats with our toon. The first is when we only had about 4 hours on the clock. They lived down a tight canal and there was no way I was going down there. I got them to the mouth of it and called it good. About a month ago another family we talk to every once in a while flagged us down and they ran out of gas. In lieu of towing I just ran home and brought out 2 gallons for them.

Oh, And Daril.....time for a new reliable boat!

Ha! Believe me my wife's been looking! She fell in love with the R23 Switchback w/a300 on the back the other day at the dealer. It was the Bennington rep's Demo boat. Priced about $80000........Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Ha! Believe me my wife's been looking! She fell in love with the R23 Switchback w/a300 on the back the other day at the dealer. It was the Bennington rep's Demo boat. Priced about $80000........Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Congratulations

BIG Kahuna II !

To pull the trigger on that bad boy would definitly take a couple Big Kahunas!

We got towed shortly after we bought the boat - and I mean TOWED!  7 hours worth of towed.

We were living just north (about 40 miles) of where we are now in Ft. Myers (Punta Gorda, FL).  We had another couple with us and decided to make a nice day trip down to Ft. Myers.  Have lunch down here, hit the beaches, then take a nice leisurely trip home via the Gulf of Mexico.  We pulled in, had lunch at Doc Ford's restaurant, filled up both tanks, and went over to Sanibel Island for the afternoon.  Dropped anchor and had a great time.

It's getting on later in the afternoon - just before sunset - and we decide to haul anchor and head home.  We get about 2 miles and suddenly the alarm on my engine starts going off.  I pull the cowling, test the fuel filter - WATER!  A LOT OF IT.  Drop the anchor and proceed to try and wrestle with the Yamaha Fuel/Water separator filter.  Man, I swear it was welded on.  I didn't have a filter wrench with me.  I did everything I could short of destroying it before I gave up.  Called TowBoatUS (I'm a Gold member), they had to round up a boat, who proceeded to tow us all the way home - We were so far from home that they had to hand us off to another TowBoatUS boat from up in our area to bring us home. (they didn't have a filter wrench on board either).

Total trip home was just over 7 hours.  Got back to our dock at 3:00 am.

Gold membership was the best $150 I spent on the boat.

Got back home and next day cleaned the tank.  Had about 3 gallons of water in the bottom of each tank.  Talk about BAD GAS!

DON'T WORRY,I'll bet one off the options on the Big Kahuna II would be thick payment book. I'm sure wife would love the boat. Good luck!

Bought my first boat in 2005, every major summer holiday (memorial/7-4/labor) I used to go to upstate NY to boat. For the first 4 years I would end up towing someone back to the dock! It became a joke almongst my friends as I would disappear for while once they dumped me in at the ramp. Just hope if it's me someday someone stops and asks the question, can I be of any help!! 

Back