Why is there no pics of stereos on here? Aftermarket or stock?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
I am just baffled that with ALL the pics we post on here, I have yet to see any with the factory upgraded sub and amp, or any aftermarket installs on them? Heck I've even asked numerous times to see pics of it. I've seen countless pics of led rings, which is great too because I might be adding those too if I do jump into the stereo stuff. I'm just wondering where I could put a couple subs. I know a lot are under the helm, but that is where we keep the beverage cooler so I don't want to lose all that room, I was thinking about mounting one on each side of the loungers. We have the RCW, and I think one could be mounted basically where the garbage can is, that would be crazy to cut that big of a hole in the side of the seat, but don't know where else. My problem is that I don't really want a sealed box mounted in there since then I lose the garbage can. But I don't really know a whole lot about stereos, and wonder if a free air setup would be worth it or not. I know sealed can give some really nice tight bass, I don't want to have a techno concert on my boat, but do enjoy nice clean bass to fill in the music. I also thought about under the starboard lounger, either in the back wall facing the back of the drivers seat, which might actually allow me to build a custom box to give good sound, or on the side of lounger facing the walkway and the other possible mounted sub. Any thoughts from you stereo guru's that are on here? And I know you are on here!!! Haha

Derrick

I looked at the boat I'm getting 20slm and see the the stock radio has line out jacks, so I will add a subwoofer soon. Most likely a selfpowered 8 inch tube. It adds just enough to the system. Speaker upgrade maybe next year. I also noticed the antenna is a simply bipole. It's coiled up under the helm, so I'm sure it could be improved for reception. Plus it does have a mp3 connection.

I looked at the boat I'm getting 20slm and see the the stock radio has line out jacks, so I will add a subwoofer soon. Most likely a selfpowered 8 inch tube. It adds just enough to the system. Speaker upgrade maybe next year. I also noticed the antenna is a simply bipole. It's coiled up under the helm, so I'm sure it could be improved for reception. Plus it does have a mp3 connection.
Take the antenna wire and unroll it. Stretch it out like a clothesline.

BC, my sub is mounted underneath the forward lounger on the starboard side. My understanding is this is where the factory system is installed. Both of my amps are wired and bolted inside the helm compartment.

Be careful what you ask for though. My 10" Rockford sub hits so hard that it rattles the helm and side aluminum panels. I have the gains turned all the way down on the sub's amp but when a song with serious bass (little big town pontoon) comes on, it still will rattle your teeth.

BC, my sub is mounted underneath the forward lounger on the starboard side. My understanding is this is where the factory system is installed. Both of my amps are wired and bolted inside the helm compartment.

Be careful what you ask for though. My 10" Rockford sub hits so hard that it rattles the helm and side aluminum panels. I have the gains turned all the way down on the sub's amp but when a song with serious bass (little big town pontoon) comes on, it still will rattle your teeth.
Love it! Got any pics? The wife is pretty interested in this idea at the moment, and I want to jump on it before she finds some shoes or a purse that seem more important!! Haha she'd kill me if she read this forum!! You should try Raise Your Weapon by Deadmau5, really hits all aspects of sound I think.

When I was younger I had an awesome stereo in my GMC Jimmy, man that thing used to pound! No point in having side or rear view mirrors, you couldn't see with all the shaking! Maybe that's why I'm mostly deaf in one ear now. I used to by these cd's that were strictly for bass, actually one was called Strictly Bass, a good one was Beat Dominator. There was this one 'song' called Bass Excursion Test, man that thing is amazing! The subs are hammering to full excursion and back, yet you can't hear a thing! You try to talk and it was like talking into a fan. CRAZY younger years!

Derrick

I don't have any pics right now. Today is moving day for us. I'll snap some when I get the boat to its new home later in the week.

I enjoy music with full sound which includes bass. The issue I've found with music on boats is that they don't have the same sound deadening characteristics of a car. So when your sub hits hard, it rattles everything onboard these mostly metal boats. If I play Deadmau5, I need to open the lounger hatch to keep the side panels from vibrating so badly and I open the helm storage door as that little metal handle will make a horrible sound too.

On a side note, I had the privilege of touring the Benny plant last week. Thank you Team Bennington, Mike, and Trent!

As I was admiring the '13 QCW, I noticed they were installing all WetSounds components to replace the Kickers we have in our R series. I was informed this was an available sound system upgrade option and I could share with the forum.

The mids and highs on that boat are going to sound AMAZING.

On the lake, you can hear a fisherman talking in a normal voice from 200 yards away.

Enemy #1 on our lake is a 37' Donzi boat with twin Mercruisers and no mufflers. He is considered a noise nuisance.

Remember that a sound system in a boat doesn't require 1000 watts and a couple of 12" subwoofers. You can have an adequate sound system without subwoofers that raise the barometric pressure from 3 miles away. (I not exaggerating.)

Please don't be a sound nuisance on the lake. We like to sleep late on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

On the lake, you can hear a fisherman talking in a normal voice from 200 yards away.

Enemy #1 on our lake is a 37' Donzi boat with twin Mercruisers and no mufflers. He is considered a noise nuisance.

Remember that a sound system in a boat doesn't require 1000 watts and a couple of 12" subwoofers. You can have an adequate sound system without subwoofers that raise the barometric pressure from 3 miles away. (I not exaggerating.)

Please don't be a sound nuisance on the lake. We like to sleep late on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
My truck's speedo says 160mph, I don't drive that fast, but it's nice to punch it when your passing someone. Point being I rarely use all that power, but it sure is nice to open it up the odd time! :)

Derrick

Oh and don't worry, I was thinking of maybe just a couple of 10's due to space requirements! Hehe just bugging ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't great about taking pics as I went along, but here is what I have.

I started with wiring the house battery under the helm. I ran an 8ga cable up the port side as far as the helm, then crossed over to starboard and up the boot into the helm. Under the helm I attached this cable to a Yandina C-100 battery combiner, then to an Exide AGM battery.

Here is the thread on wiring through the under-deck wave shield:

photo2-3.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo5-2.jpg

In the main battery compartment I used the existing factory installed Blue Sea fuseblock to fuse the line with a 40 amp midi fuse.

photo1-3.jpg

I cleaned up the spaghetti under the dash to make room for my install. After that, my first step was to glue in (using liquid nails) two furring strips to the forward side to attach the board that carries the amps, fuses and distribution blocks. I spaced them at 24" finished dimensions.

BEFORE:
photo3-3.jpg

AFTER:
photo4-2.jpg

I got some plywood, and painted it with some cheap flat black aerosol.

photo3-1.jpg

Then I began laying out the amps etc, and screwed the board to the furring strips.

I used 4ga from the battery to the distribution block, and 8ga to the individual amps. I used 12 gauge wire for the amp to the subwoofer and to the factory wiring harness for the 4-channel connections.

photo4-1.jpg

You can see the C-100 bolted to the battery box

photo5-1.jpg

The subwoofer is a Kicker KM10 in a 1.5 cubic foot generic enclosure. I bought the kicker because I originally intended to install it in the seat just forward of the helm and wanted it to match the other kicker speakers, but got second thoughts about cutting a hole in the seat. I still might do it just to reclaim the space under the helm taken up by the subwoofer enclosure.

photo1-2.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

It's all done now, and it sounds amazing. :)

WooHoo! Thanks PDX for breaking the ice!! I went out with the cousin today and we were trying to figure out how and where, I think we have all that figured out, now just gotta talk to a fella a wetsounds and get his opinion and sweet talk the wife into making it happen, Damn I'm gonna be scared to cut a hole in it, especially one that big! Will keep you all informed IF any of it falls into place!

Derrick

There were a few reasons I chose the KM10. 1- price. I found one new on eBay for around $70. 2- it is designed for both sealed enclosures, and infinite baffle (such as a seat compartment free-air space).

There were a few reasons I chose the KM10. 1- price. I found one new on eBay for around $70. 2- it is designed for both sealed enclosures, and infinite baffle (such as a seat compartment free-air space).
Very clean install! Was that area of the helm behind the battery already cut out? Mine has nothing like that.

photo4-2.jpg

On a side note, I had the privilege of touring the Benny plant last week. Thank you Team Bennington, Mike, and Trent!

As I was admiring the '13 QCW, I noticed they were installing all WetSounds components to replace the Kickers we have in our R series. I was informed this was an available sound system upgrade option and I could share with the forum.

The mids and highs on that boat are going to sound AMAZING.
I know the setup that will be in the 2013 option, I assure you it will be awesome!!! The 6.5's are the same ones that are in my cousins MB Sports boat, and they are incredible! Crystal clear and can handle tons of power. Anybody looking at a 2013, GET THIS UPGRADE!! You will love it, of course assuming that you love to listen to music while cruising, if music isn't your thing, then thats cool too.

Derrick

I like throwing impromptu dance parties. And while I had no problem spending what I did on the boat, I saved a ton of money doing it myself, plus I really enjoy tinkering. :)

Thought I was going to wait until next season and do an amp, sub and speakers at the same time, but couldn't pass up a deal on some JL Audio speakers. The amp & sub will have to wait.

JL Audio MX-650s along side the stock speakers.

2012-09-14_13-35-49_628.jpg

Installed in the rear. (The fronts look much the same.)

2012-09-14_14-49-01_682.jpg

For now the 20W RMS per channel that the head unit puts out will have to do.

WOW: There are 2 words that I thought I would never see together on this site Dedmau5 & Pontoon Boat LOL. I will be adding a system to the boat this year. I was going to Try something dif. I do boat audio as a winter time hobby. I have always never been afraid to add sub's to a boat but on this boat I want to try and do a system with out a sub. I have grown quite used to the space under the helm and don't want that space to go away if I don't have to. I was thinking if I swapped out the 6inch speakers for some new Wet Sounds 8inch speakers I just might be able to get away with out running a sub. My hopes are not high but I think I just might be able to pull it off. I have had good luck with other 7 inch speakers as far as getting lots of low end out of them so I’m thinking if I run the 8's and tune it correctly I can make it work.

Here is a Pic of the system in my floating stereo.

412s.jpg

Back