Why is there no pics of stereos on here? Aftermarket or stock?

Hey PDX - Doesn't the sub rattle the door off? I like subs. I hate rattles worse. So much so that I'd rather not have the bass if it makes everything rattle.

I put a powered Bazooka tube in a car of mine 20 years ago. Not the best sounding, but it was relatively cheap, and VERY easy to install (just strap it down). Easy to remove if I needed the space too. Different times I've thought a Bazooka tube would be good for the boat (wouldn't take up the entire helm storage space, and could be removed if I needed the space, and it could do double duty for use in the truck with quick connectors), but I figured the helm door would rattle so much it wouldn't work for me. So, I kinda put the idea out of mind. But seeing those photos raised the question... What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
kaydano, I added a 10" powered sub under the helm and yes, it did rattle the door. Two small pieces of windlace,and no more rattles. (windlace fits over a narrow edge to act as a trim piece) Steve

Hey PDX - Doesn't the sub rattle the door off? I like subs. I hate rattles worse. So much so that I'd rather not have the bass if it makes everything rattle.

I put a powered Bazooka tube in a car of mine 20 years ago. Not the best sounding, but it was relatively cheap, and VERY easy to install (just strap it down). Easy to remove if I needed the space too. Different times I've thought a Bazooka tube would be good for the boat (wouldn't take up the entire helm storage space, and could be removed if I needed the space, and it could do double duty for use in the truck with quick connectors), but I figured the helm door would rattle so much it wouldn't work for me. So, I kinda put the idea out of mind. But seeing those photos raised the question... What do you think?
I does not rattle the door. I did have a little rattle behind the gauge plate, but all it took was pushing the dash in a little tighter. I might put a few strips of dynamat in just to prevent future rattles as things jar loose.

GeeWest- I hated losing the space under my helm too, so when I get time I am going to move the sub out of it's enclosure and cut a hole into the side of the lounge seat just forward of the helm. This is pretty much useless space since my power steering pump and hoses run in there and have a "WARNING, HOT" label so storage is out. The KM10 sub I bought can be used for free-air applications, and I suspect the rotocast seats will actually transfer sound very nicely.

I'll have to post pics later but I have about a 1x2x3 foot ported box with (1) 12 inch sub that fits perfectly right behind the captain's chair in between the rear lounger (it's a 2011 gcw) it's got a 1350 watt amp for the sub. Also have a 900 watt amp for the 6 kicker speakers and an extra (3rd) heavy duty marine battery running parallel with my stock #2 battery to run it all. The 2 amps and heavy duty battery are in the helm enclosure. Also upgraded the head unit to a really nice kenwood that has pandora radio which is great since radio reception sucks in the marina. I listen to all types of music (inluding dubstep/deadmau5) but you can easily hear me from several hundred yards away. I am respectful though and don't play it loud around other people unless everyone is partying on the slips or in a cove and ask me to turn it up. And with all the blue lights on the boat you can see me from several yards away too.

I'll have to post pics later but I have about a 1x2x3 foot ported box with (1) 12 inch sub that fits perfectly right behind the captain's chair in between the rear lounger (it's a 2011 gcw) it's got a 1350 watt amp for the sub. Also have a 900 watt amp for the 6 kicker speakers and an extra (3rd) heavy duty marine battery running parallel with my stock #2 battery to run it all. The 2 amps and heavy duty battery are in the helm enclosure. Also upgraded the head unit to a really nice kenwood that has pandora radio which is great since radio reception sucks in the marina. I listen to all types of music (inluding dubstep/deadmau5) but you can easily hear me from several hundred yards away. I am respectful though and don't play it loud around other people unless everyone is partying on the slips or in a cove and ask me to turn it up. And with all the blue lights on the boat you can see me from several yards away too.
So Matthew, still waiting to see some pics of it all.!!!

I was thinking if I swapped out the 6inch speakers for some new Wet Sounds 8inch speakers I just might be able to get away with out running a sub. My hopes are not high but I think I just might be able to pull it off. I have had good luck with other 7 inch speakers as far as getting lots of low end out of them so I’m thinking if I run the 8's and tune it correctly I can make it work.
Hey Gee, not sure if you've done anything with your stereo, my cousin just added 4 of the 808's into his system, he's still doing all the wiring, but hooked them up just to hear and he said they were amazing! I'll try to get some pics of his setup once he gets done redoing it all.

Great topic.  Does anyone have any updates on the custom audio systems they've installed?  I forgot to think about the side panels rattling.  Any suggestions for minimizing that and installing a great sound system?

I'm a JL Audio fan and thinking of squeezing some 8.8's in if I can find the right space.  Since JL released them in that size, I've heard nothing but amazing things about them.  JL recently released some of their famous 12's in marine.  One of my friends who is an installer says they sound fantastic, but are so big they have a terrible time trying to find a spot on a boat to mount them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back