Winter has arrived at...

This is the same lake Jack showed. Pic taken at about 9 pm this evening, with the new snow now sittting around. But, we see some open water which is AWESOME!!!! I’m looking at at mid May drop date (I hope). Last year, I couldn’t get my dock in until very late May due to high water. Keeping my fingers crossed. 00D0E48E-26C7-4C47-81D3-012C11BEB177.png

Winter just keeps getting longer and longer in Mi.

This is the same lake Jack showed. Pic taken at about 9 pm this evening, with the new snow now sittting around. But, we see some open water which is AWESOME!!!! I’m looking at at mid May drop date (I hope). Last year, I couldn’t get my dock in until very late May due to high water. Keeping my fingers crossed. View attachment 24488

I currently have a May 9th launch date .( fingers crossed:cool: )

The east side of Houghton Lake can sometimes have issues with winter ice breaking up, and being pushed ashore in large mass this time of year. Here are some pictures of a spot on the east side of the lake. I cannot imagine having to be worried about this every year. Glad we are on the West Shore where very little is pushed ashore.
49ECAFE3-76BD-408F-92A1-F5201D07ABA9.jpeg

ACC2EA89-53C9-44D7-B155-14FE4C6BE3FC.jpeg

FE2BA0C9-0F5A-4841-92AA-15AEEBF1E069.jpeg

I don’t know if anyone remembers the picture I shared 2 years ago. It was even higher in the East Bay at about two stories tall pushed ashore into yards and a few homes.

Saw this online yesterday. Different pictures but same place. Incredible power. Thought of you and hoped wasn’t near your place.

The east side of Houghton Lake can sometimes have issues with winter ice breaking up, and being pushed ashore in large mass this time of year. Here are some pictures of a spot on the east side of the lake. I cannot imagine having to be worried about this every year. Glad we are on the West Shore where very little is pushed ashore.
View attachment 24492

View attachment 24494

View attachment 24493

I don’t know if anyone remembers the picture I shared 2 years ago. It was even higher in the East Bay at about two stories tall pushed ashore into yards and a few homes.
Ho Lee Cow!!! That would cause serious damage! That stuff takes no prisoners! Crushes everything!

Saw this online yesterday. Different pictures but same place. Incredible power. Thought of you and hoped wasn’t near your place.

I was “lightly warned” of this possibility by my realtor when we were looking at cottages. Most often these things happen on the east side of HL due to prevailing winds, and the enormous size of the lake. As a result of that, and just normal lake debris typically pushing eastward, I didn’t consider any cottages on that side of the lake. We are on the completely opposite west shore.

However, our side more often has flooding concerns due to it sitting a bit lower “land” wise, so there is always that to keep me on my toes. Grin!

However, our side more often has flooding concerns due to it sitting a bit lower “land” wise, so there is always that to keep me on my toes. Grin!

You want to talk flooding risk???????? I'm 8ft above sea level!!!!!! And that is considered high for the area!

We purposely looked for places on the east side of lakes to get the the sunset views. (Our last place also faced west on a lake near Mio) Of course where we ended up was a 400 acre lake, so not as far across the water as HL. We have about 35 steps down to the water so don’t have the flooding possibility, though there are places on our lake that do. We do get a nice offshore breeze up the hill that keeps all the bugs/mosquitoes ar bay.

Flood insurance(NFIP) limit is maxed at $250K for the structure and $100K for personal property. I guess that is a perk of a two story house. Move all the crap upstairs before the storm!

Just for some perspective on how much a couple feet makes a difference. We're at 8', annual premium is in the $600 range. Our neighbors are 5ft, $3k range.

Steve, my Ark is ready just in case!

We purposely looked for places on the east side of lakes to get the the sunset views. (Our last place also faced west on a lake near Mio) Of course where we ended up was a 400 acre lake, so not as far across the water as HL. We have about 35 steps down to the water so don’t have the flooding possibility, though there are places on our lake that do. We do get a nice offshore breeze up the hill that keeps all the bugs/mosquitoes ar bay.

We looked exclusively on west side. Depending on size of the lake, east side is great for sailing, west side for speed boats, pontoons and most water sports, all due to prevailing winds (90% of the time). The waves on the east side are a pain and only cause those boaters to head to the west side. Not to mention the ice flows in the spring (which I just did).

We looked exclusively on west side. Depending on size of the lake, east side is great for sailing, west side for speed boats, pontoons and most water sports, all due to prevailing winds (90% of the time). The waves on the east side are a pain and only cause those boaters to head to the west side. Not to mention the ice flows in the spring (which I just did).

Ditto for us.

Not fun! We are hoping to make our maiden voyage of 2019 tomorrow!

Back