Winter over yet in Michigan...?

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
This is a picture of end of season ice on Houghton Lake in Michigan where our cottage is at.  We are lucky this is NOT our cottage. 

D749DA08-2CC8-4EE6-B29C-745D974F3C76.jpg

I was just up there tonight and saw this.  Guy at the hardware store told me that the wind had shifted and they were starting to get some pile up on Long Point.

Wow!! Many years ago our river (Susquehanna) ice jammed and it was crazy the damage it did. Amazing also how it crept up the banks, across a road, getting close to houses that you'd never think it could even come close to reaching. They ended up bringing in dozers and loaders to save the properties from damage. 

Amazing! The only time we get ice on our river is when someone dumps a cooler. Then it doesn't last long, and I don't think it causes damage to houses unless the one that dumped it, ran their boat into a riverfront home or boat dock from drinking too much of what the ice was there for in the first place. 

It looks to be pulliverizing the sheds, docks and lifts people have in their yards.  Also, I know a lot of these cottages are not very far from the lake itself, so it wouldn't need to get pushed very far inland to really destroy decks or potentiallly impact actual homes/cottages.

I heard about this earlier. A coworker of mine. her mom lives right across the street from the lake where this is happening. 

Our lake level rose about 6" over the weekend and I'm sure it will be up even more by the time I get home and scope it out. Won't be long now until the level is up and it's back on the lift. Yee haw!!

Ours still sucks at about 9-9-1/2' under full pool. I guess dealers not worried as he has 20+ new Benny's sitting there.  :blink:

Won't be long now Jack.

I just got my letter to make the arrangements .I might stop by today .Thinking about May 8th 

It will be here before you know it. We had boats out on our lake this weekend. The water level still needs to come up another 20" or so but with heavy rains forecasted tonight and some more this week it shouldn't be too long.

Sorry, not in the Midwest ........   ;)

/monthly_2017_04/large.IMG_0053.JPG.3c696f288d17ad8d135dfc6125d183cb.JPG

We had a fleet of bass boats out yesterday. I put all 150' of roll-a-dock in, took ~4 hours total, in waders of course. The lift should be here in the next couple weeks.

We had a fleet of bass boats out yesterday. I put all 150' of roll-a-dock in, took ~4 hours total, in waders of course. The lift should be here in the next couple weeks.

Do you store the lift off site in the winter?

Lake Norman was just about in full swing this past weekend. Even saw skiiers on the slalom course along I77. I'm waiting for the wrap people to give me the okay to bring Big Kahuna to his shop. Still in storage on the other side of the lake. Just have to hook up and go.........

Do you store the lift off site in the winter?

Yes, they pick it up and store ~10mi away near I69, bring it back and re-set it in the spring.

Crooked Lake is open 

17796115_1284351368327218_6047185336761217290_n.jpg

When will you launch?  I just looked at a couple of web cams and our lake in NY is not even close

Back