Winter Storage

skipperbill

Reaction score
I know it's a depressing topic but I am a planner and can't help thinking about this. I will be storing my boat in my garage this Winter. I don't have a trailer and am planning on the marina dropping it off using a scissor-style trailer and setting it on something. It's gonna be a very tight fit but I'm hoping once the boat is in the garage (barely off of the floor), it can be raised to allow me to set it on some type of blocks. If not, does anyone have any experience with setting the pontoons directly on a concrete floor? Would this damage them in any way. If it is a concern, is it better to use some sort of notched out blocks or even something like the attached link? Thanks!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Pontoon-Caddy-Set-4&i=79657

It sure feels like fall out there!! I'll be storing ours in the garage as well but I'm hoping the rig fits on the trailer. When my boat was delivered to the dealer it was sitting on gravel so I don't see how it sitting on concrete would damage it. Probably wouldn't hurt to lay some 2x6 boards down along the keels though.

Or foam blocks.

A neighbor uses those carpeted furniture dollies from Lowes or HD under his and it's easy to roll around in the garage. I searched but couldn't find the ones specifically for pontoons but I know they're out there.

Make sure they are positioned under the pontoon bulkheads.

I would go to Harbor Freight and buy two pairs of car dollies. They'd allow you to roll your boat around slightly and even move it outside if you had an ATV to pull it. I would put some carpet on top of the dollies, however.

http://www.harborfre...lies-67338.html
These at first seemed like they would work perfect. However, I went to the sight and zoomed and right where the wheels connect, there is a cap that seems like it would gouge nicely into a pontoon. Hmmm, what a stupid design. I thought I saw some other ones somewhere that don't have those caps sticking up. Also, do you think these would interfere with lifting strakes?? I'm gonna have to go back and look at some diagrams of where the strakes come off.

The ones this guy had were actually made specifically for pontoons with some carpet on them, v shaped, with casters.

I also believe in planning ahead but..................You guys are killing me! Way too early to even "Talk" about putting the boat up for the winter...........

It may be early but high 30's are predicted for northern Michigan tonight .

40's here tonight. Jeez, just in time for my vacation next week.

What is this thing you talk about, putting the boat up? :D

I don't think I would just set it down on the concrete, maybe at least throw a couple car tires under each toon. No you can't wheel it around, but that's why I'm saying "at least"

I was on the golf course today and it felt like late October. This is crazy

Sorry guys.........didn't realize it's been that cold in the midwest in "August"! Still sweating like a pig here in Virginia. It was 85 and really humid today........

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for global warming...

Upstate NY does also feel like fall, especially the lows at night when sitting around campfire. Lately highs have only been in the low 70s and nights in the low 50's. 10 day forecast turning more seasonal with mid 80's and lows in mid 60's.

Got down to 38 this morning in Grayling ,which is about 60 miles south of me .

Back