Yamaha 250 or 300?

rwatts1205

Reaction score
Purchased a 2014 2575 RCWCP with ESP. What are your thoughts about the 3.3L or 4.2L Yamaha 250. Or what about the Yamaha 300? My dealer is pushing the 3.3L 250hp I think because of cost. Just don't want to be underpowered yet I don't want to waste money over a couple mph top speed difference.

Most on here say hang as much as you can afford.  I don't believe that you will find a great difference in top end speed, just a few mph

The Yamaha SHO's have had serious durability problems "making oil".  They run very cool, and have break in problems.  Gas gets past the pistons into the oil system.  They've had a bunch of blown powerheads too.  Yamaha's 'fix' is to run the stew out of the engines after warmup to get the rings to seat.   But many customers just love'em.

I'd just as soon have the old generation motor.  It's tried and true.

I can't speak to the merits of the motors, but I have never heard anyone

complain about having to much power..

I think it's a guy thing.....

We have a 28' with a 300 and it really is more than enough.  With a 25' boat a 250 seems like the right amount.  Even with 10 Adults and a weekend worth of food and gear (gaining on our max weight limit) we can cruise out to our cabin in the low 30's.  We have no trouble pulling a 3 person tube with the same 10 folks.  I don't think I would want less power but there are very few times when I truly think we could make use of more even with the boat all loaded up.

Enjoy your new boat!

I have the 4.2L Yamaha F250 and love it.  It is smooth and quiet and my QCW 2575 will easily cruise in the 30's with a load of people and gear.  I have plenty of power for tubing and boarding.  I have no experience with the 300 but as someone earlier said I have never heard anyone complain about having too much power.

Jack

We have a 225 yamaha on a 2013 2550 G.B.R. with E.S.P  6/7 on board run 35/37 hit 40/41 in the spring with clean toons. Would like more power but i am very happy with the 225 3.3 L so more sounds good but do I need it maybe a 250 

Just get a 350 and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the feedback - very helpful! Think I will go for the 300!

Post pics when you get it!!

The Yamaha SHO's have had serious durability problems "making oil".  They run very cool, and have break in problems.  Gas gets past the pistons into the oil system.  They've had a bunch of blown powerheads too.  Yamaha's 'fix' is to run the stew out of the engines after warmup to get the rings to seat.   But many customers just love'em.

I'd just as soon have the old generation motor.  It's tried and true.
Where have you read this Bamaman? I haven't heard anything on here about issues, other than the one top seal blowing, but there was a recall on it for a little plate to stop it.

I have just had to make the same decision.  I ordered a 2550RCB with the 300.  Check this site out for performance bulletins you can put either motor a 2550 bennington with ESP and it will give you fuel/power specs.  The 300 seemed to have better fuel economy.  Here are the links below same boat and weight with the 250SHO and F300 offshore

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_vmax-sho_sws2_bnt_2575rcw_vf250la_2011-10-03_pnt.pdf

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_v6-offshore_sws2-sds_bnt_2550rcl_f300xca_2011-05-04_pnt.pdf

Here is the site to build your own boat and motor combo

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Can see why you did order the 300 over the 250.  The 300 burns less fuel at cruising speeds of 20 and 30mph.  My only question is what is the difference in the model of LA and CA

Hey RReaume,

Thanks for the links! Feel better about my decision to go with the 300. My dealer is so against it though.....

I was just checking out the 300#'s I don't know how they came up with them. There isn't even a motor on the boat in the picture!! Haha, but looks like a fun bacheloret party!! Hehe

Where have you read this Bamaman? I haven't heard anything on here about issues, other than the one top seal blowing, but there was a recall on it for a little plate to stop it.
BBCBoards.net is the huge bass fisherman website.  Go far down the list (past the sections on each brand of boat) and there will be a talking section on each brand of outboard motor.  This is where the dialogue often is.

I'm a proud owner of a year old F150 on my Bennie, and my engine is fantastic. 

But Yamaha and their dealers are keeping their SHO problems very, very quiet.  There have been so many blown engines that it's ridiculous. 

One guy on the BBC today has blown his third engine.   The SHO's have been out there 3 years, and the original group of owners have often traded their engines.  There are quite a few motors out there without warranties now--bad move.

The public opinion is mixed.  Some have had severe problems, but would buy another.  Many have traded for other motors.  Some are still running them, but scared to death.  Some engines have been just fine, and the owners love'em.

I'm just saying that Yamaha has a serious problem, and it's just a wonder that someone's not dropped a class action lawsuit against them.  I don't know how many failures there have been, but it's simply too many.  I personally would prefer the new F200 or the old style 225 and 250 over the SHO.

And if I was buying any SHO, it'd have the longest Yamaha warranty I could purchase, which I assume is 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
After your first comment I did a quick search and mostly could only find problems reported back in 2011, I hope they have it all figured out, I think they must have something better since in this day and age of social media, if there were HUGE issues, it would be widespread news. The company can't keep people from talking and voicing their issues. whether they want it hush hush or not! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! Haha

I was referring to the F250 or F300 not the SHO. I hope there hasn't been problems with the 4.2l offshore V6......???

The problems seem to be with the 250 SHO that so many tournament fishermen use and are the biggest sellers.  I have not seen complaints on the 200 or 225, but I assume they're essentially the same basic motor.  It seems as if they blow due to crankshaft and bearing problems--internal issues.

I understand that Yamaha has some specialized service reps within the company that go out to dealerships to deal with SHO engine issues, and they often turn wrenches.  I've also read that they're now quick to drop complete new powerheads on engines.  Some customers complain about a lack of repair parts and back ordered parts.  Some dealers are reportedly slow to make the repairs and/or to coordinate the repairs with the manufacturer--typical of marine dealers. 

But the F series Yamaha motors appear great.

In my quest to research for consideration of selling my Yamaha 115 to upgrade to a 150 I searched Yamaha Outboard motors and found this http://www.boats.net/outboard_motor/Yamaha/150HP/parts.html not understanding all the letter designations I ended up searching Yamaha Outboard Motors & F Series.  This serch resulted in finding two law firms that have started class action lawsuits on the F series.  Now I believe that some lawyers will enact lawsuits simply if there is a buck to be made but I do have to admit that I have some concern.  http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11132145.htm  http://www.dugan-lawfirm.com/news/yamaha-motor-corp-defective-outboard-motor-investigation

Back