Yamaha 250SHO numbers

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Well I thought I would start a new topic so I didn't hijack the 150-200 debate. So was out yesterday, water was a little choppy, not too bad, the wife and I, 50 gallons of fuel top speed was only around 43.4 mph, 5700rpm's. I was/am a little disappointed in that. A little surprised too since with 9 on board (1 was a kid) we hit 39.3 (I forgot to look at rpm's). I figured for sure with an empty boat we'd be hitting better numbers. I was pleased with the loaded number, that's not too shabby. Then I see Loon Lake Wixom's numbers and he says about 44 at 6300 and we have the same prop. My motor is in the lowest hole, trim about 3/4 up. Now I realize I have a lot of extra weight (300lbs in batteries, at least 100lbs in subs and wire, not sure what the tower weighs probably a couple hundred) so it's like I always have an extra 3 adults on board. Guess I just figured since I was hitting 42 with my 200SHO, that I'd be quite a bit higher with the 250. I suppose I never did factor in all the extras though. Although Rockie69 had some better numbers with a different prop, but no tower, so does the tower just eat up that extra few mph? I understand it has to play some negative role on the numbers, but baffled that it wasn't noticed more with a "boatload" of people.

I'm not sure how much extra weight I have. When I get her out of the shop maybe I'll swing by the scale. I did go with the .10 vs .08 toons, and I have a 23', which should add a little weight. I assume the Bimini on the tower might drag a bit, but as you said your numbers were good loaded. Once I get mine back, if you want me to look or try anything, let me know.

I did see where Tom went with a 14 1/2 x 18 with his Merc, and it seemed to improve his metrics. I might try it if I can find a good place to prop test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit 51 yesterday with the V-rod.

I hit 51 yesterday with the V-rod.
Rub it in Tom!! But Derrick this mirrors on my 150 200 debate. At what point do you hit the wall and adding more hp isn't really worth it (performance wise) (Not trying to hijack your thread) Sounds like there is a lot of weight on that boat. How much beer, or should I say lager was on the boat??? Probably another couple hundred pounds there too!

That really wasn't my intent, just a reference to say the 2275 can do it when prop'd right and a light load like I had yesterday. The SHO and Verado 250 Pro are putting out the same power real world. I had plenty of midrange punch so I don't think a moderate load would have impacted much. That's the big difference from 150 or 200.

I know you weren't rubbing it in. I would but I know you wouldn't! Do you have a place to weigh your boat Derrick and figure out how much weight you have? Maybe it is more than you think.

I tested a 22' ESP with a 250 SHO. A new 19p Yamaha SS had just been installed. We had 5 people on board and the boat was able to run 48 mph @ 5800. I think it had another 1 or 2 mph left in it. The 250 SHO had plenty of torque to pull that larger pitch.

A little off topic here, but with these last couple of threads about 150 vs the bigger hp engines........I think some of you may appreciate the reference.

TomS posted an excellent example as to why to prop your engine toward the peak rpm range @ WOT. The engine works less in all rpm ranges and is more economical to run. The increased diameter makes an impact also. The same reason I prefer to run 16 inchers.

Check out the cruising range rpm's and the 5000-5500 numbers. I'll gladly sacrifice the minimal speed loss for the economy gain.

Try to equal those speeds and GPH numbers with a 150 powered ESP. The 150 will turn significantly more rpm's to run those speeds. Possibly 1000 + rpm's in most cases. More rpms=more fuel. Especially with a loaded boat.

14 x 19 Enertia results

RPM Speed GPH

1000 4.3 1.1

1500 6.3 1.9

2000 8.5 3.2

2500 14.8 4.3

3000 19.7 6.1

3500 25.1 8.1

4000 30.4 10.8

4500 35.7 13.4

5000 39.8 19.1

5500 44.7 25.9

5800 49.4 27.3

0-30 mph ~6.5 sec

---------------------------------------------------

14.5 x 18 Enertia results

RPM Speed GPH

1000 4.1 1.1

1500 6.0 1.7

2000 8.2 2.7

2500 13.1 4.0

3000 19.2 5.5

3500 24.1 7.4

4000 29.4 9.6

4500 33.6 13.0

5000 38.3 16.6

5500 44.2 20.9

6000 49.3 26.3

6060 49.8 27.0 (WOT)

0-30 mph ~6.0 sec

I would have to say the tower and the weight are major drags on the top speed runs. I know when I had good smooth conditions with my 150 it would make a solid 3mph difference from full 59 gallons of fuel with bimini in upright position not opened to 25-30 gallons of fuel with bimini in transport position.

One thing I have not seen brought up in the performance discussions yet is water temperature, I can say from one body of water with warmer water my engine runs a lot more doggy and a lot less pep to it than in cooler water, also gas doesn't come into the discussions either 87 89 91 ect this will make or break someones numbers as well.

So from here on out all the comparisons are moot unless we have water temp and octane #'s to go with things. I belive these two things alone could potentially make 2-3 mpg difference if not more.

Also for Derrick, his engine is still pretty new and this will make a difference once he gets it broke in a bit more too.

Yesterday the water temps were about 75 and I run 91 octane ethanol free gas (Counteymark) all the time. The V definitely makes more HP with higher octane.

I can say I have never ran 91 octane until this weekend, I usually ran 89 ethanol but have been shying away from it and running 87 this year and I can say the 87 octane makes my 150 run like crap and really zaps the power overall, it always ran good on 89 ethanol but I just put 25 gallons of 91 in this weekend on top of about 20 gallons of 87 left and it made a huge difference in how the engine ran, was a lot smoother across the rpm range and was a lot peppier.

Elevation, Humidity and ambient temps are major factors as well.

Varying water temps? RE: Thermostats. Ya know, those little thingys that keep the engine running at a specific temp. regardless of water temperature. :rolleyes:

Air plays the largest role in engine performance on most days.

Wild and Free.......I have a little additive that'll make that 150 come out of hibernation. My friends call it "GORILLA". :eek:

Water temp plays a huge role, we have a lake that is heated by a power plant and has water temps in the mid 80,s and pretty much everyone including myself notice a huge difference in how our engines run while in that hot water versus the Missouri river where surface temps get to about 60 at most and 40's sub surface and engines run awesome.

Most will not even go to the heated lake as engines run like total crap in the summer when water temps are high.

For example I can put about 15-20 miles on my Dodge cummins with no load and winter fronts on before the coolant gets to a point to open the t-stats, all engines bypass a small amount coolant as do outboards via the pee hole, if conditions are right in cold water and light operating conditions it can bypass enough water to keep things well below t-stat opening temps.

The water temp of the river / lake is the cause, but not why your engine seems to run differently. It's not the temp of water circulating through the engine. The outboard's thermostats are quite capable of adjusting the water flow to that variation in water temp. Think about water level AIR conditions and you'll find your answer. ;)

Hey Lake Loon, here is some info for you. Read the above. I have the same property and boat, but mine with the tower and all the extra weight previously mentioned, I'm still getting her broken in right, but we were doing 44 at about 5700rpms maxed. I thinking should get more too, might have to look into the 19 alluded to. Not sure what the outcome may be with the tower, any educated guesses?

Derrick, thanks for the info, I'm running a Yamaha F250XA that's the 25 inch shaft. Not sure why I'm running that much higher in the RPM range. I called the dealer about a prop, $650 for a Yamaha SS. I looked at a Solars there only $350ish. It looks like you give up a 1/4 inch in diameter between the 17 pitch and the 19 pitch. I think I'm going to try one of those.

Not sure what the tower does to the top end but it sure is a nice option.

Rockie69's BOAT:

Boat Model --------- 2375 GCW

Model Year --------- 2013

Tube Option -------- Tri-toon w/ESP

Power Option ----- Yamaha 250 VMax SHO

Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Stainless Solas Lexor 15 1/2 X 17

Performance ------ 49mph @ 5800 rpm

Full tank of gas (50+ Gallons), just me on board with regular gear, trimmed darn near all the way up.

The larger Solas props are a bit more pitch than stamped.

If you have the 3.3L 250, you have a 2.00 gear ratio.

The new 4.2L SHO and Offshore 250 models have the 1.75 gear ratio.

Prop accordingly.

Weighed my boat, with me and everything on it she weighs 4680 lbs or 2122 kg.

Weighed my boat, with me and everything on it she weighs 4680 lbs or 2122 kg.
Jared - Is this with the trailer, fuel, etc.?

Just the boat, 1/4 tank of fuel, me, the cover, and all the other "schtuff" that goes with family boating. Tubes, 4 person lounger and enough life jackets for everyone on the lake.

Total weight of my truck, boat, and trailer was 11900. Truck and trailer was 7220.

Thanks, great information to have!

Back