Yamaha 250SHO numbers

Let me weigh in here. I've run at a very light load 44mph with my 150 Pro XS (factory upper limits of the 165hp allowed by the MMNA) on a 2275 RCW with twin elips and strakes on inside and outside of tubes. Typical load is upper 30's low 40's. However, load it down with 6 adults and pulling a tube, and that speed drops significantly. Like mid 30's at best depending on fuel load etc..

Although, the larger motors may not run away from my boat during a light load, the larger displacement, more torque, more HP and as soon as I load my boat with the weights these guys with larger motors have, and the differential between top end increases X. I fall to the back of pack in speed.

The more people and loads you carry / pull, the higher HP motors will do so much better then the smaller V6's. However, you won't see more then a 5-7 mph difference between a High Output 150 (Merc Pro XS, Yammie SHO, E-tec HO) over a 200 / 250 and possibly 300hp motor with light loads. The drag is just too much to overcome with another 50 or 100hp to make that big of a difference.

Just my $0.02 worth.

What really intrigues me is the new Yamaha 200hp being tested on a 2275 RCW (which today can only handle 150hp) which runs 49mph on twin elips.

If TB up's the limit on the 2275 with twin elips to 200hp, that maybe my next boat. I tow tubes a bit, but its not my #1 duty with my boat. We have a twin Yamaha 230 jet boat for those duties.

Todd

Bulldog, just a thought- fuel has a lot to do with.

Mine was a dog earlier this year and I couldn't figure out why. I talked to Tom and he had the same issue once at it was the gas. These high performance motors love high octane.

Went back to the other fuel dock and I was back up by over 5 mph more leaving.

I ordered 2 props to try per Tom as Bennington shipped mine with the 15p. I have to trim it over 3/4s to get enough slip to get RPM's up.

Can't wait for next summer.

I might give it a shot next year, see if it makes a difference in numbers or not. I think the 5 mph difference is probably do to extra weight of the tower and stereo, oh and apparently all the crap I have in the center storage! Hahaha but it's worth a shot! 

It's obvious that there's a certain speed where a pontoon/tritoon reaches a point of no return.  Any faster, and it's all horsepower.  On a twin pontoon boat, that point is 28-30 mph.  On a tritoon with lifting strakes, about 40 mph is that point.

I saw a UTube of a tach the other day where my same boat with a 115 hp Yamaha went from a start to full speed.  There was a big difference between acceleration and the speeds at certain rpm's vs. my F150.  The 150 is obviously much stronger and had much more effortless cruise speeds.  I assume that a boat with 250 hp would take effortless to another level.

But speed's not everything.  Everyone has different uses for their boats.  And everyone has different needs. 

The bigger motors may have 3-4 mph on me, but I seldom run over 30 mph anyway.  My lake is not that large where I have to carry 50 gallons gas, and we seldom have more than 4-5 people onboard.

Crazy or not, I told my wife that I want Bennington to do a custom twin 250 merc setup for my next boat. I'm sure that its possible, keeping the handling the same, that's the ?

Sounds like a great idea.  The other premier toon manufacturer does make twin setups.  The middle toon has  walkdown steps to the water.  I know they do it on the 10' beam boats.  I am not sure about the 8'6" boats.

Sounds like a great idea.  The other premier toon manufacturer does make twin setups.  The middle toon has  walkdown steps to the water.  I know they do it on the 10' beam boats.  I am not sure about the 8'6" boats.
We had a 10' wide Premier park next to us a few weeks ago.  It had twin V6 Etecs on transom jacks.  This boat was absolutely huge...........and gorgeous. Built to last too. Great boats. 

Harris showed a twin 300 V-Rod Grand Mariner model recently too. Custom black and white engine cowl paint jobs to match. Very nice.

I'll translate the prior two posts. Cha-Ching!!!!!!!! Sound like beautiful boats but I think they look weird they are so big. Plus it's awkward for the captain to be up in the air back there like that. Maybe I'll change my mind if I win that powerball jackpot tomorrow night. Who am I fooling, I'd get a Q!

Back