Yamaha F150 water pump time again

Wild and Free

Reaction score
Well headed out the door to try and replace my first water pump on my 07 f150 Yamaha. Last weekend I got a call from the warning buzzer for a hot engine one long solid alarm, well this water pump has approx. 250 hours on it anyways so it is due. I know I sucked some sand though it a couple times the day it let me know as they have the river level pretty low and I found a few shallow spots trying to find a deeper channel. This will be the second WP replacement on this engine as I had a learning curve when the engine was brand new and took the first one out within the 1st 40 hours by powering off sand bars in reverse, DUH! Didn't know how much sand it agitated up and sucked in, have not done that since now it gets pushed off by hand.

Some claim you should replace the rubber impeller yearly regardless and I have read where Yamaha recommends the WP be changed every 200 hours, so I am not feeling bad about having 250is hours on this one considering I run in a sandy shallow river a lot.

Update:

Well got it changed before going to work (Oh the Joys of shift work, on 2nd shift this week, 2:30 pm to 1:30 am)just need to bolt the lower unit back on, fought the collar that holds the pump impellar down and the key fought me for a bit also but all came around to my way of thinking and got it back together. Tomorrow morning will quick throw the lower unit on and put the muffs on and check if it pumps before heading to the river.

The impellar had some noticable wear and the lower pump plate had a pretty deep groove worn in it, the cup didn't look too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOO HOO back together and tested out and headed to the water!!!!

I found this video (10 minutes long) a while back and bookmarked it. It seemed appropriate to post it here for anyone curious about doing this work themselves...

Does his procedure sound good? Any flaws or bad advice in there? The video seems very well done to me.

Ran it all day and good as new, no issues so I must have done something right. 20 years as a Diesel tech is good enough for an outboard repair I guess. :p

Good job.

Yeah having mechanical background can save lots of money sometimes ...... I think I've only paid people to work on my vehicles a couple times.

Either I didn't have the tools (and didn't feel like buying them, which doesn't happen often) or it was a PITA and didn't want to deal with it (like lower ball joints on 4wd Ram) :)

We had ours done at 5 years. I would have done it but we don't have a trailer. And I didn't feel like doing it in the water.

Hehe, I read Carl's post totally different than intended I'm sure. :lol:

I knew you were going to read it wrong Derrick after I wrote it. B)

Back