Yamaha F350 vs F300

slyguy

Reaction score
Which one?  The F350 is hefty @ 800 lbs.  The F300 is no featherweight @ 570 lbs.  Does it lift the bow up more than the F300.  Is it worth the $4,500 price increase?  Are there problems with either of these engines?  Any thoughts?   Anyone know the cruising speeds of these engines?  Anyone wish they went bigger or smaller?  

Thoughts much appreciated. 

If money was no object, I would want a v8.

That is a lot of weight back there. I'd be curious to see how much of the 50 extra hp go towards moving the extra lbs. the 350 would look bad a$$ though!

The 350 would work fine on an offshore fishing boat, as that's what they're designed for.  Pontoons/Tritoons are much better when engine weight is minimized. 

The Mercury 300XS racing motor's 505 lbs and would be a complete beast on a high performance tritoon.

Seriously, the 300 Yammie should be just fine for most uses. 

My F250 pushes my boat just fine for cruising or sports and I would think the 300 would be more than enough.

Jack

I elected to go with the F350. I don't have my boat yet but after looking at the performance bulletins I liked the fact that you could run at lower RPM's to acquire the same speed. Also for the same fuel consumption. Your top end speed is about 5 mph more but I don't run WOT that often. Based on the bulletin's the extra weight is well compensated by the extra hp and displacement. I also worried that they take the same 4.2 liter engine and take it from 225hp to 300hp. It's got to be juiced to the max. I like the V-8 325ci in the F350 over the V-6 254ci in the F300 also. I wonder if they did the same things to the 350 that they do to get 300hp out of 4.2 L engine what the hp would be? As far as the weight I'm getting a 2550 so that big of boat should handle the weight. The boat might sit lower in the back and a bit higher in the front. I've never owned a pontoon boat before but been on a few. I don't ever remember when sitting on the back of my friends boats that it effected the performance of the boat at all and I'm 250lbs. I like what Andy said "the 350 would look bad a$$ though!"

I elected to go with the F350. I don't have my boat yet but after looking at the performance bulletins I liked the fact that you could run at lower RPM's to acquire the same speed. Also for the same fuel consumption. Your top end speed is about 5 mph more but I don't run WOT that often. Based on the bulletin's the extra weight is well compensated by the extra hp and displacement. I also worried that they take the same 4.2 liter engine and take it from 225hp to 300hp. It's got to be juiced to the max. I like the V-8 325ci in the F350 over the V-6 254ci in the F300 also. I wonder if they did the same things to the 350 that they do to get 300hp out of 4.2 L engine what the hp would be? As far as the weight I'm getting a 2550 so that big of boat should handle the weight. The boat might sit lower in the back and a bit higher in the front. I've never owned a pontoon boat before but been on a few. I don't ever remember when sitting on the back of my friends boats that it effected the performance of the boat at all and I'm 250lbs. I like what Andy said "the 350 would look bad a$$ though!"
Wow, I know a few people on this forum have the F350.  Bamaman makes a lot of sense. Agree it's huge and agree it's bad a$$, especially if the engine is painted to match the boat.   I would like to hear from people that have the F350 though.  Anyone out there?  Would like to know what they think.  Do they run in to issues with the F350?  

I purchased the 2550 CBR with the 300 this year I will keep everyone posted on how it performs for a comparison. I could not justify the extra cash and could not afford it anyway

I have the 350 and love it. Wouldn't do it any other way. Took her out this weekend after sitting all winter and she fired right up. Haven't had any problems whatsoever. I love having 12-15 people onboard and she still flys out of the hole.

Back