Yamaha Motor

Linker

Reaction score
Ordered a new Bennington (22 LFB with 175HP Yamaha VMAX) last September for delivery this May. Boat will be delivered in June but Bennington cannot supply my dealer with a date for the 175 Motor or even a 150 Yamaha VMAX. They can however get me a Yamaha 200 HP VMAX for $1500 more. Question...Is this motor too big for a 22' Tritoon? I will be using the boat on a small lake (primarily puttering around) but will also be using it from time to time on the St. Lawrence River (moderate waves and need to go faster).

Welcome ! I have a 24' with a 150 h.p. on a big lake which is plenty. Personally I would not go to the 200. Your looking to get on the water though. What about Mercury? More members will respond sit tight. Good Luck!

Go with the 200 vmax. It is also a v6 vs the 4 cylinder for the 150 or 175. That is a major difference in load handling capacity as well as resale.

Rarely (maybe never?) do you see people posting regrets about having more HP, but I've often seen people who wished they had more. I'd go for it, especially for only $1,500.

I completely agree with all those above saying “go for the 200”. A 150, 175 or 200 VMAX is going to be great on your boat. I suspect you’d be happy with any of them really.

However for ONLY $1500 more to get the 200, with its top end potential if ever needed/wanted, as well as some of its v6 advantages…that’s an easy decision in my mind. Ummm Yes Please! :cool:

However, like someone else mentioned, you could inquire about other motor manufacturers if you wish. Honestly, so long as you were in the 150-200 range, I‘d probalby be looking at WHATEVER got me on the water fastest because likely every motor in that HP range be every manufacturer is going to be nice. Only caveat is I would only get a brand of motor that I can get services locally. That would be my only hard rule in considering something else in your shoes.

Side note: We have a 200HP Mercury Verado Pro (the Mercury high performance 200 for 2017). We LOVE it! Love our Mercury! Love our supercharged v6 200HP motor! That said, it’s pushing our 24’ Benny.

I think IF you decide to go for that 200HP VMAX, you’ll be thrilled for those times you want to play around with its potential. AND again, only $1500 more!?! Again…yes please! :D

Would the 200 require different steering / or an upgrade?

I am late chiming in, but go with the 200. I have a 150 on a 22ft. The 150 does a great job, but could always use a few more horses. In the boat motor world, bigger is always better. ‍

Good choice on going with the 200hp. Said no one ever, I have to much HP on my transom.

Thanks to all for your responses. Many great points made. I made the decision to go with the 200.
You wont be disappointed. :cool:

Would the 200 require different steering / or an upgrade?
I believe Bennington recommends power assist for 150 HP and up. I just saw a FB group thread where someone was complaining how hard it was to steer their Benny with a 150 and no power assist.

I believe Bennington recommends power assist for 150 HP and up. I just saw a FB group thread where someone was complaining how hard it was to steer their Benny with a 150 and no power assist.
Along these lines, for me, it would be my preference at 150 HP and up.

Part of it is the fact it is such a nice difference maker. Always easy driving!

Secondly, at 150 and above I personally am going to always be getting that HP with water sports and the occasional high speed run in mind. With those two things, I absolutely would want the power assist steering so it is enjoyable for me at the helm.

Those teens and young adults can go a loooooooong time doing twists and turns on tubes and my back, neck, and arms are not getting any younger. I highly recommend it if it was not already a part of the build.

Ordered a new Bennington (22 LFB with 175HP Yamaha VMAX) last September for delivery this May. Boat will be delivered in June but Bennington cannot supply my dealer with a date for the 175 Motor or even a 150 Yamaha VMAX. They can however get me a Yamaha 200 HP VMAX for $1500 more. Question...Is this motor too big for a 22' Tritoon? I will be using the boat on a small lake (primarily puttering around) but will also be using it from time to time on the St. Lawrence River (moderate waves and need to go faster).
My aunt has a 22' with a 200hp on it. I personally have a 22' with a 150. she motors along at 45ish and im at 38ish MPH.
they went larger due to using in inter coastal in florida in the winter. in the summer, they are at our lake in upstate NY and dont NEED it but its nice for tubing.

also i do NOT have hydraulic assist and i can tell at higher speeds. tough to turn. i am saving up in the next few years to add that and sea legs. just out of my budget for now... haha

her 200 has it and its VERY easy to turn.

OK going to throw something else out there. See what it would cost and lead time on an F225. Benefit would be slightly more HP, using 87 instead of 89 octane and the new F series comes with integrated electric steering (built into the engine). It might end up cheaper than the VF200 plus adding/rigging the electric assist steering under your helm. Lead time might be ridiculous however.

OK going to throw something else out there. See what it would cost and lead time on an F225. Benefit would be slightly more HP, using 87 instead of 89 octane and the new F series comes with integrated electric steering (built into the engine). It might end up cheaper than the VF200 plus adding/rigging the electric assist steering under your helm. Lead time might be ridiculous however.
Boy...from a 150 to a 225... we are good at spending peoples money :)

Back