Yamaha V-Max 200-250

David G

Reaction score
These are exactly the same motors. The only difference is a computer tune? Every single thing is the same. All 3 motors can be tuned to make 338 HP. The 200/225/250 HP can all make exactly the same power--What a scam Yamaha has on this!
The only thing different is that Yamaha recommends 90 Octane on the 250..
If i ordered another boat I would get the 200 and retune it and save 5k..

I'm thinking of doing the same. In fact, the ONLY difference I could find when going through the Yamaha parts catalog and exploded views is the ECM is different for each of the HP ratings, other than the color codes for standard vs VMax.

Makes me wonder if putting the F300XA ECM into the VF200XA is all it takes to essentially get a 300 HP with the VMax SHO paint job.

Meh, not scammy in my view, just what you get with a free market. Automobile manufacturers do this all the time - add an “S” line to the model by increasing boost 3psi and voila $5k premium. No other changes to internals. Guys like me like the idea of an intact warranty so we pony up the extra for the tuning. There’s arguably more wear and tear on the motor at higher HP levels so the increased cost also helps the manufacture offset more exposure to warranty claims.

But definitely understand your point - seems like the price increase isnt justified by the effort they put into achieving the extra HP (probably zero).

There is a company that send out a flash tune for $1050 abouts that will retune a 200 to 338, or a 250 to 338 HP. He said they are the same motor but it is in the tune only. But Boat companies get you there.

Back