Yamaha Y.E.S. program...worth it?

Corkboy54

Reaction score
I just received a notice from Yamaha for their Y.E.S. (Yamaha Extended Service) program.  It does not detail exactly what is covered but looks like most manufacturer repairs outside of normal wear and tear.

1 year is only $240.  I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.  Can you Yamaha outboard owners tell me of your repair experiences (good and bad) and let me know if this is money worth spending.  I had heard that Yamaha's were extremely reliable so I'm wondering if this is worth it or not.  

My 1st year was great with my 2250RCL and a 90h Yamaha.

Looking forward to your feedback.  Thanks.

Tom (Corkboy)

I don't have a Yammy but my 150 Honda which will be 8 years old in June has only had regular maintenance. I have never purchased an extended warranty for anything.

Some dealers will throw it in , to close a deal .Doesn't hurt to ask .

His boat is already a year old. No more negotiation power there.

Thats a good thing ,that you can still purchase a year later  .Out of curiosity ,is the price the same a year later vs at delivery  ?

Corkboy, I also received the offer in the mail and put it up here for discussion.  I am not going to purchase the extended warranty

It's a gamble. Only worth it if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, its a waste of money. Just like playing balckjack. You see an ace, do you go for the insurance or not? 

My offer from them was 750$ on my F300..... this would take me from my current 5 year coverage (3+2 promotion at time of purchase) and extend it to a 6 year..... thoughts?  I doubt I will have the boat that long but when i flip it for a new model or other it could be very value + and would see the $ back and some... thoughts?

250$ as above sounds like a deal, guess more for the F300 and the fact its a 6 year...but this also from YES mailer i just got... thoughts?

After being in the car business for so many years, I've never been a fan of ESP's--especially with long basic warranties.  They're big dealer profit makers.  I feel the same about outboard ESP's.

Some models of motors seem to cause more problems than others.  I'd suggest anyone getting a SHO Yamaha to get as long a warranty as possible.  I'd tell someone with a high hours usage 75 mph bassboat to purchase all the ESP they can get.  I'd tell someone to get ESP on a Verado, as the supercharger is a $5K part to replace.  

But my F150 Yamaha has a reputation for being a bulletproof and trouble free motor and we don't put that many hours on it per year.  It's all a balance of value and risk.

I also talked to a Yammy dealer and they told me this engine is tremendous as long as you do the normal routine annual maintenance.  Thanks for all your comments.  I think I'll pass on the YES program.  There is 6' of ice on my lake so I think it will be sometime in May before the ice goes out and i can even think of putting the pier, lifts and boats in the water.

Tom

Back