YOUR pontoon ideas!

• Thread starter Retired Team Member1
  • Start date
I love my glovebox.

Carl, where/how'd you get a glovebox on the R model? Did they have that standard in 07, or did you install one?

Carl, where/how'd you get a glovebox on the R model? Did they have that standard in 07, or did you install one?
Came with the boat. It'not a raised helm though so i'm working on a new pedestal for the helm seat. BTW we were in your area on Wednesday close to Carlisle on our way to NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '04 R model had a nice little glove box on the lower right side of the helm. Tilted downward. Very handy. Gerry

I have brought this up before several times and now after seeing many other brand names of New Toons on the water around here this summer I realized Bennington is among a few that still use thin easily damaged aluminum as side panel material.

A vast majority are now all using what looks like fiberglass panels and they all look awesome I might add, some are smooth and some are a textured look. Hint Hint.

I saw an extremely cool looking pontoon online a few weeks ago that actually had bamboo shoots installed vertically as side panel material, kind of gave it a tropical tiki hut look to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, we love our boat. But since this thread asks, here are some ideas that we've come up with this year:

• We don't like the double hinge on the front seats. I appreciate the simplicity and cost effectiveness of them, but they are difficult to use and must be explained to anyone new to the boat. Also, the plastic inner structure that the "L" bracket sits under is starting to show signs of fatigue due to the bracket pushing down on it during multiple failed attempts to shut the seat correctly. If a single hinge using the seat cushion interferences to hold them down isn't enough when someone kneels on the front of the seat, maybe a gas shock would compliment it nicely?
  • The driver side cupholder in front of the throttle is in a bad spot, any bottle prevents the throttle from reaching it's full travel.
  • A protective/Soft storage area to keep my phone near the radio would be great. It does fit on the padded coves on the dash, but the sun is too harsh for it and my iphone overheats during the day without the bimini up.
  • My wife would like the bimini to be able to fold up 30 degrees of the section in the rear toward the bow. We have the rear lounge seats on our GCW and it shades her face during "optimal tanning time".
  • I would also like a lock-out on the throttle. This is my first Outboard, and I'm constantly checking to make sure that I'm in neutral. The motor is so quiet and will move so slow if we are engaged, that it would be nice to have that reassurance when tubers are entering and exiting near the motor.

Again, we love it, but these would be nice additions when we buy again on Round 2!!!!

With all due respect, the motor SHOULD NOT EVEN BE RUNNING with tubers or ANYONE in the water near the boat.

IT'S NOT IF IT WILL HAPPEN, IT'S WHEN IT WILL HAPPEN.

BREAK THAT HABIT NOW !!!!!!!!!

I have to agree, motor is ALWAYS off in that situation. As for the others, I totally agree with someplace to put your phone! I must also say I have been quite surprised at how HOT my ipod is when sitting inside the stereo, but the bluetooth works great, just wish it could still display the song name on the remote pod. As for the hinge, I know what you mean, but the benefit of that style of hinge is it allows a much tighter fitting seat cushion with much less gap, and it saves on marring up the seat back by having the seat rub up against it constantly. All that being said, I do still have to remind everyone, plus it's nice to not have the pull straps on every seat as they take away from "the look". Only problem with the 30 degree thing is the bimini needs to be tight when underway, and having that option is just begging for someone to forget its partially folded and rip the cover or wreck the framing, then say it was "faulty" in some way. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a way. Good ideas though, makes the brain start working!! :D

Plus 3 on the phone thing. I put mine in the net behind helm seat. It gets super hot on dash. I wish the R had the glovebox like I've seen on the G model. I'm looking for something that I can attach to side of helm to put my phone in. Just haven't found something worthy for a Benni yet.

I have only owned mine for a few weeks and am thoroughly happy, but

I think all decks should come with specific anchor storage, bow and stern and

3-4 fender attachment devises in the rails..Just seams silly that something that simply is overlooked.

The fact that the captains cup holder is so close to the throttle also demonstrates a lack of forethought.

Given the amount of detail in the construction of the rest of the boat, these minor black eyes are avoidable.

Just .02 that is worth less and less daily

Al

woohoo....TB sent an email today, gave me a build date of sep 24. maybe I can add to your list of things to do !!!

22 sfx/sffx, 115 Honda

I read through most of this post. I have a 2014 20' SLX

Some of the other posters ideas are great:

- latch for the doors

- A glovebox or small storage area at the helm (this would be VERY useful for my model)

also I'm thinking of:

- a flip up 12v solar charger (which I'm going to fabricate as soon as the weather gets cooler)

- factory installed scuba tank racks (I'm prob. the only one that cares)

a dual front gate door where you could remove the bottom section for when you wanted a trolling motor, or where you could have a full door if you took the trolling motor off. And it would be great if you would make an add on glovebox we could buy and install ourselves. 

For those that would like to leave there biniby top up and still install their tonno cover, here is what I do with my new SF20 Bennington, when I am at the cottage. First of all fold up the front support leg of the biniby top and tie a roap from the top frame to the front tie down cleat. Do the same for both sides.  You are now able to cover the pontoon boat with the tonno cover without  any restrictions.

For those that would like to leave there biniby top up and still install their tonno cover, here is what I do with my new SF20 Bennington, when I am at the cottage. First of all fold up the front support leg of the biniby top and tie a roap from the top frame to the front tie down cleat. Do the same for both sides.  You are now able to cover the pontoon boat with the tonno cover without  any restrictions.
please post a picture of that setup !!!!

He's basically using the rope tied to the frame going forward to the cleats to keep tension on the Bimini top. Being you don't have cut outs for the front legs on the mooring cover, he's figured out a way to keep tension on it so you don't have to fold it up every time you want to cover the boat. Great idea Benster.

- factory installed scuba tank racks (I'm prob. the only one that cares)
+1

Very nice idea, but for which size tanks? Single or doubles? Gets pretty complicated, I guess they could simply offer one standard size for aluminum 80s.

Steve

You could make a "spreader" bar between the front and rear upright, that way you wouldn't need lines running up front. Probably get some pieces from a damaged bimini and make it so it wuick connects and disconnects.

Back