YOUR pontoon ideas!

• Thread starter Retired Team Member1
  • Start date
Another option would be a bag of some sort to store the table top in so it doesn't get scratched up. We always trailer our boat so have to put the table under the changeroom of our 2275RCW, but a lot of the time it stays under there the whole day sliding around and scratching the top. Right now I have a towel wrapped around it, might just take 2 towels and sew them together like a sleeve to slide it into. And I noticed still no embroidered Bennington logo on that cooler bag hey?

Derrick

Ok, I will play here,

I will try to describe this best I can. On our 24 SSLX we have the removable coffee table thingy, there is a igloo cooler that comes with and fits inside under the table top. When accessing the cooler underneath one must hold the table top with one hand and then open the cooler and then use the cooler top to hold the table top open so you can access the refreshments (probably doesn't make sense so far..lol) The underside of the table top needs a block or catch of some sort so when you have it lifted open and then open the cooler you can then lower the table top back down a little and the cooler lid will catch the block and then hold both open. I plan on doing this modification myself and will post some pictures to make up for my lack of explanation here.

Cheers

Brian

Another option would be a bag of some sort to store the table top in so it doesn't get scratched up. We always trailer our boat so have to put the table under the changeroom of our 2275RCW, but a lot of the time it stays under there the whole day sliding around and scratching the top. Right now I have a towel wrapped around it, might just take 2 towels and sew them together like a sleeve to slide it into. And I noticed still no embroidered Bennington logo on that cooler bag hey?

Derrick
Hey Derrick, I slid my table under my elevated helm under the console. It slides pretty far up and I leave the top finished side up covered with a towel. I put the leg under one of the seats with the playpen posts. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Derrick, I slid my table under my elevated helm under the console. It slides pretty far up and I leave the top finished side up covered with a towel. I put the leg under one of the seats with the playpen posts. Gerry
Ahh, good thought gerry! That is a huge storage area, especially since there was a 'mix up' and the sub and amp didn't get added onto my build. That's where we store the cup holders and 'gatorade' cooler, but pretty sure there is still room for table. Thanks!

You reminded me of something else! I sure miss the seat bases being open from let's say the port seat through the front port corner seat. Now that each seat base is closed off from the other, it's a pretty tight squeeze for the fishing rods!

Derrick

Derrick, I do the same thing as Gerry with my table. It fits perfectly under the helm along with my subs and amps.

I store my cooler in the space for the port gate as I almost always end up docking on the starboard side, we found we rarely use that gate.

Besides, who wants to open a door, drag a heavy cooler out, grab a drink, close lid, push a heavy cooler back banging everything along the way, and close a helm door while underway?

The helm needs more storage space. Not crazy over a fabric pocket but perhaps even something as simple as what is found on a car door; a small bin under the steering wheel to hold my IPod, sunglaases, regular glasses, cheater glasses etc :rolleyes: B)

Derrick, I do the same thing as Gerry with my table. It fits perfectly under the helm along with my subs and amps.

I store my cooler in the space for the port gate as I almost always end up docking on the starboard side, we found we rarely use that gate.

Besides, who wants to open a door, drag a heavy cooler out, grab a drink, close lid, push a heavy cooler back banging everything along the way, and close a helm door while underway?
Do you have any pics of your subs and amps? Still thinking about adding. wonder how tough it truly is to run power cable under helm with underskinning.

Derrick

Do you have any pics of your subs and amps? Still thinking about adding. wonder how tough it truly is to run power cable under helm with underskinning.

Derrick
You can fish it between the skin and deck. There's room for a fishtape in there. I found it was easy when I ran the wiring for my power steering. Looking under the deck from the side you can see in there.

The helm needs more storage space. Not crazy over a fabric pocket but perhaps even something as simple as what is found on a car door; a small bin under the steering wheel to hold my IPod, sunglaases, regular glasses, cheater glasses etc :rolleyes: B)
Don't you have the little compartment under the steering wheel by your feet? There's a pic of it in my garmin pics in the gallery. It's in the one showing the hole in the dash.

Don't you have the little compartment under the steering wheel by your feet? There's a pic of it in my garmin pics in the gallery. It's in the one showing the hole in the dash.

[/quote

Not unless I overlooked it, this was my forst weekend so I will look again. I have the R series helm.

It's possible they changed it from 2007. I have a 2275rl. Look at my Garmin pics and it shows the compartment under the wheel and a shot inside of the helm.

Looked at your pix and I do think it changed, My Garmin sits in a nook above the dash switches as well

I like Kaydano's slide option idea. When shopping for our new Bennington we came across Premier's Funship ... a double-decker with a slide down the back. That's a really great idea but we didn't want the double-decker, just the slide. There is an after market inflatable slide available but it's not very tall. We'd like to find a detachable fiberglass slide that uses a water pump to trickle water down the slide. It wouldn't be something we want on the boat all the time but definitely when the kids are with us.
I agree... we also looked at the Funship - specifically for the slide - but it looked too much like a houseboat. But, if Bennington had an after-market detachable slide, we'd be in the market for it!

A small glove box would be nice. In Texas we have to have a boat registration card on the vessel. No card when stopped by Game Warden/PD = $$$ Ticket.

Double decker toon like Premier and Sylvan have.

Havn't read through all the responses in this thread so sorry if it has been brought up before.

How about designing a better bimini. We parked our Bennington next to our friends who have a Premier. Now that's a nice bimini top. It offers much more protection from the elements, has nice quick-connect fasteners and looks great! It belongs on a Benny. Bennington produces a Cadillac pontoon. Get rid of the Prius bimini and give us something better.

TB, here's a pic from I believe a Sun Tracker that I saw as a really nice option you could do, a fold up seat in privacy area. Can't cost much, but would be nice to have.

l_3787126_20111103131039_2_LARGE.jpg

I'm not sure how you could manage to accumulate enough CO to hurt yourself in a pontoon boat. :huh:

Not criticizing, just wondering how it could manage to be a factor.
It's not what the concentration is at any given moment that kills you, although it does factor in. It is a time-weighted figure that you should consider. While there may be only a 35ppm concentration in the air, you're still absorbing it. Your hemoglobin has a greater affinity for CO than it does O2, so as you continue to breathe more of the low dose, you continually become more and more CO laden in your blood, ultimately suffocating you.

I bought 6 of these: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Taylor-Made-Tidy-Ups-Fender-Adjuster-Kit&i=33751

They hang permanently on the rail 3 to a side. When I go out I choose which side I'm going to hang fenders on based on wind direction at the dock. I put the rope through and tie a clove hitch either around the top rail if accessible, or on mine I have the 1/2" vertical round stock post that I just throw a square knot around in case the compression lock fails. Easy money!

matt, go to my gallery and look at the eyes I mounted under the top rail. I have 4 spots on each side that I can hang fenders on. The anchor storage would be great, can't believe I haven't thought of that. The factory (or even the owner) could cut a hole in the floor, if you have the room outside of the fence, and recess a stainless or aluminum box flush with the floor and finish it with the appropriate size door available from the aftermarket. I'm on it just as soon as I get back to the lake this weekend. Thanks, Steve
Lakebum,

Great idea on the fender eyes...I had a similar thought but I have a 2012 and the panels come all the way up to the rail. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to drill the hole without rubbing the panel or that whatever I used to attach to the eye bolt would rub on the panel. I will give it a 2nd look for sure. Just a little frustrating that I spend this kinda dough on a boat and then you have to start drilling holes and spending allot of time doing research to figure out how to get fenders on it!

Can't wait to see what you come up with on the anchor box.

Benny -- just start adding the option of a power anchor winch on the front with the controls integrated into the help and I think you would have allot of takers!

PS, now I am going to be OCD about having shiny toons after seeing your pics -- awesome work.
Hello Matt. For now I use a product from Overtons. item 74625 that fits over a 1" or 1-1/4" square rail. They are plastic and come in packs of four for $19.99. My dealer sells them individually for $ 2.99. They are very flexible for quickly moving up and down the railing for whatever you may need to protect against. Gerry

I laid a 4" round piece of white PVC across the floor in back storage area, cut the top half off for 10 inches on one end, a 4" rubber "Fernco" cap on the other end, and a locating screw into the floor, and Voila: a cover pole storage area.

Back