YOUR pontoon ideas!

• Thread starter Retired Team Member1
  • Start date
I went for a ride last fall on Mark649's Q.  You are correct slyguy that a sturdy piece of fabric snaps on the opening and it does a good job of stopping the wind.  The only downside that I could think of is that you would have to open and resnap to pass through.  However I would imagine that in cool weather boating there probably would be minimal movement to the aft because no one would want to sit in the cold

Our old bow rider had a canvas piece that snapped into the opening below the walk through windshield. We rarely used it but it did a good job when we did. As link said - when you needed it there wasn't much movement of people to the front.

Our Malibu had a thick piece of Lexan that slid into vertical right and left tracks on the consoles, and worked very well.

Barletta's ultra-lounge on their "L" line is the nicest and most versatile "sun deck" option on the market in my opinion. The fold-flat option is 2nd to none for sun worshipers. The SB on the Bennington SB models is good and I like the width. I'm 6'3" and I can lay flat width-wise. If it laid flat like the Barletta I'd be a lot happier with it. If you added the adjustable (and lay-flat) headrests on the foot end like Barletta - A++. The versatility in a Barletta LxxU is my dream layout. My pontoon use is sun bathing, swimming, cruising and sometimes partying.

I own a Bennington 23GSB with the SPS package and there are two things I would change on that boat.
1. The under-deck skin doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat. For some reason that feels ridiculous to me and I'm thinking about adding my own under-decking to finish it off. Even though it probably has zero impact on performance I find it annoying and cheap looking.
2. The mooring cover J-clips (is that what those are called?) aren't strong enough. It's a 2018 and 2 of those clips are already broken. They're impossible to find and the ones that I did find on ebay are $18/per. On top of that, I'd love some instructions showing me how to replace those.

Otherwise I love the boat. It's perfect for my family of 4. My 2 girls and wife couldn't care less about my 2 complaints and they would LOVE a lay-flat lounge area.

Barletta's ultra-lounge on their "L" line is the nicest and most versatile "sun deck" option on the market in my opinion. The fold-flat option is 2nd to none for sun worshipers. The SB on the Bennington SB models is good and I like the width. I'm 6'3" and I can lay flat width-wise. If it laid flat like the Barletta I'd be a lot happier with it. If you added the adjustable (and lay-flat) headrests on the foot end like Barletta - A++. The versatility in a Barletta LxxU is my dream layout. My pontoon use is sun bathing, swimming, cruising and sometimes partying.

I own a Bennington 23GSB with the SPS package and there are two things I would change on that boat.
1. The under-deck skin doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat. For some reason that feels ridiculous to me and I'm thinking about adding my own under-decking to finish it off. Even though it probably has zero impact on performance I find it annoying and cheap looking.
2. The mooring cover J-clips (is that what those are called?) aren't strong enough. It's a 2018 and 2 of those clips are already broken. They're impossible to find and the ones that I did find on ebay are $18/per. On top of that, I'd love some instructions showing me how to replace those.

Otherwise I love the boat. It's perfect for my family of 4. My 2 girls and wife couldn't care less about my 2 complaints and they would LOVE a lay-flat lounge area.
Your 2018 G is under warranty. Why don't you have those broken mooring cover clips replaced for free? Contact your dealer.

Your 2018 G is under warranty. Why don't you have those broken mooring cover clips replaced for free? Contact your dealer.

Honestly, I've had an old boat for so long that warranty hadn't even occurred to me! Thanks for mentioning that. I still think those clips need to be improved. :)

And I still think someone needs to sell them at a reasonable price.

Honestly, I've had an old boat for so long that warranty hadn't even occurred to me! Thanks for mentioning that. I still think those clips need to be improved. :)

And I still think someone needs to sell them at a reasonable price.

How did they break? If you have to use ANY pressure when removing cover, you are doing it wrong.I can remove my clips with very light tug with 2 fingers. If you are having issues easily popping them loose, see my video I made ...

How did they break? If you have to use ANY pressure when removing cover, you are doing it wrong.I can remove my clips with very light tug with 2 fingers. If you are having issues easily popping them loose, see my video I made ...

That's a very good question, SemperFi. I purchased this pontoon with 69 hours on it a couple of months ago and the clips were broken before I acquired it. I think I may have already watched your video on youtube as I suffer through the long, cold MN winter and dream about using my new boat!

I just looked at a 2020 RX sport and love the side panels wonder if those side panels will be available on the 2020 Q series. There a lot beefier and will not bend, flex and dent like the current corrugated panels. Looking at a 2020 10ft wide 30ft long twin engine Quad bench

QX is fiberglass panels? Maybe look at that option?

SemperFi8387, Correct the QX is fiberglass panels but the Q is corrugated aluminium panels not fiberglass which is why i am asking.

Wait... What? Panels that don't dent???

The new 2020 RX Sport has thicker panels and also double walled. Was just at a dealer today and they look nice, smooth not ribbed.They may dent but are much thicker and did not flex when I pushed on them, There was a ribbed R model next to the RX sport and when I used the same pressure the ribbed panel flexed where as the RX sport panel did not. take a look at the Bennington website and look at the RX Sport

A glove box for wallets and cell phones--Why does Bennington not put one in??
I AGREE!!!! I just took delivery of my new 2020 23 GFB yesterday and am finding NO PLACE to put my wallet, cell phone, tool kit, etc. The tiny little dash cubby is too small for these items. The fiberglass raised helm side panel has a great place to add a small storage bin, but they did not put one in this logical place? What were they thinking???

Has anyone submitted the idea of an electric bow thruster built into the center tube that is only submerged in water at very low speeds? Could be an aluminum tube heliarc welded through the width of center tube with sealed electric motor and impeller suspended in tube. It would be variable speed and reversible for docking. Sure would help docking in windy situations. Or..... a pump picks up water at rear and plumbed up to bow where it shoots out jets of water to act like side to side bow thruster.

Last edited:
I AGREE!!!! I just took delivery of my new 2020 23 GFB yesterday and am finding NO PLACE to put my wallet, cell phone, tool kit, etc. The tiny little dash cubby is too small for these items. The fiberglass raised helm side panel has a great place to add a small storage bin, but they did not put one in this logical place? What were they thinking???

Click on my post link regarding a solution I got from someone else:

Helm Storage Idea

Has anyone submitted the idea of an electric bow thruster built into the center tube that is only submerged in water at very low speeds? Could be an aluminum tube heliarc welded through the width of center tube with sealed electric motor and impeller suspended in tube. It would be variable speed and reversible for docking. Sure would help docking in windy situations. Or..... a pump picks up water at rear and plumbed up to bow where it shoots out jets of water to act like side to side bow thruster.

Those thrusters are a really neat idea. Would be better if it was on a rotating "pod", could use it as trolling motor that hides completely under the deck when not in use.

Its still definitely a cool bolt on addition. I can see the advantages if you have a tight slip or had more of a boating season then I do in ND.
The $$'s to put these on makes taking a second (or third, it happens don't judge :) ) run at the trailer at the end of the day not seem as bad.
I'll put these in my "when I win the lottery" folder and have them add em to a new Q with a 400 right from the dealership.

That's a very good question, SemperFi. I purchased this pontoon with 69 hours on it a couple of months ago and the clips were broken before I acquired it. I think I may have already watched your video on youtube as I suffer through the long, cold MN winter and dream about using my new boat!

I replace two on mine already. I asked the dealer about the snaps and she laughed and gave me a handful for free. Said they break all the time. I little tricky to get the new ones in but I have a friend that let me borrow his snap tool.

Back