YOUR pontoon ideas!

• Thread starter Retired Team Member1
  • Start date
Ok, I will play here,

I will try to describe this best I can. On our 24 SSLX we have the removable coffee table thingy, there is a igloo cooler that comes with and fits inside under the table top. When accessing the cooler underneath one must hold the table top with one hand and then open the cooler and then use the cooler top to hold the table top open so you can access the refreshments (probably doesn't make sense so far..lol) The underside of the table top needs a block or catch of some sort so when you have it lifted open and then open the cooler you can then lower the table top back down a little and the cooler lid will catch the block and then hold both open. I plan on doing this modification myself and will post some pictures to make up for my lack of explanation here.

Cheers

Brian
We use the table as a neccasary resort. For the most part, the table is not even on board, it was left in the storage warehouse. However, when the table is installed, it becomes a traffic obstacle. When the table is used as a typical table is used, the top is only large enough to hold a limited amount of snacks that are subject to falling off to the deck.

Any device that is user freindly has a degree of value. Starting with the present table top area, railing would contain contents, and be more user freindly. The risk of scatching and/or actually scratching the table top discouarges use. Storage is a problem some have discussed.

Possible Solutions:

1) Design an in floor table/top that folds to raise or telescopes to raise with expandable surface area. Subject to otherwise deck flooring used, the top may be covered in same material or Veclro removeable. The receiving cavity is a below deck chamber or a raised deck chamber. If raised deck, lights and other uses may be incorporated.

2) The Table Top, constructed from robust material, may be fitted into the back/bottom of such as the sun deck. The top can be handled without user concern for scratching or maring. The top will havie fold up edging to secure contents. The table top may also be designed to slide out or fold out, similar to a sliding household door or lazy susan.

3) The Helm enclosure may be designed to fold a portion of the enclosure for creating a table. Unfortuneatly, seating may be a problem with that scheme. Though that mini table, with railings, should find use.

As someone who is trying to decide which pontoon to purchase, I would suggest a major rework of your website. It is nearly impossible to tell what features come on what model and compare them w/o printing everything out. If it hadn't been for the recommendation of your pontoon by several neighbors I would have given up. How about a chart that lists length and model going across the top and feature down the side. Standard features could be starred one color and optional features for each model starred in a different color. If done correctly one should be able to find a colum with the length boat they want and scroll down to find appropriate feature level/ S/G/R/Q with options. As the website currently exists I'm sure it has cost you sales JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
pgiron,

You have a valid point as it can be somewhat confusing, but I feel the site is designed as a tool to give you ideas. The brochure really is what you want to look at as it pretty much shows what you are looking for. I would recommend to people to use the site to get ideas, order a brochure or go to a dealer to pick one up, and the dealer can get more in-depth with your request. I will say Bennington is not the only site that is designed this way, many car companies and such are the same way. With so many options, accessories, models, colors, etc... it is literally impossible to create the "perfect" site. I do hope you decided to go with a Benny, as you WILL NOT be sorry.

Smitty

There needs to be a Quality sound system that's well thought out. The Wet sounds system is a band-aid to not engaging a real well sorted out sound system. The Sony and kicker components are of some pretty "Ify" quality that i would not have expected from the "Top End" boat... As i have not bought one yet it makes me think what else was done and not thought out.. So recommending getting a "Real" Sound professional to work out a good sub box system and Audio system. Wet Sounds are great but way over priced. Polk Audio are much cheaper and compared to Wet Sounds. Think that Polk are EO in some of the "Top End" Ski Boats....

Also noticing the table holes in the rear and the table wont line up right when you have 4 people sitting at the rear seating of a GSR/RSR, Table is to far forward.

There needs to be a Quality sound system that's well thought out. The Wet sounds system is a band-aid to not engaging a real well sorted out sound system. The Sony and kicker components are of some pretty "Ify" quality that i would not have expected from the "Top End" boat... As i have not bought one yet it makes me think what else was done and not thought out.. So recommending getting a "Real" Sound professional to work out a good sub box system and Audio system. Wet Sounds are great but way over priced. Polk Audio are much cheaper and compared to Wet Sounds. Think that Polk are EO in some of the "Top End" Ski Boats....

Also noticing the table holes in the rear and the table wont line up right when you have 4 people sitting at the rear seating of a GSR/RSR, Table is to far forward.
Pontoon boat stereos are in a completely different setup than ski boats, having heard a completely ridiculously amazing setup with Wet Sounds, and also reading many other Web forums from ski manufacturers when the question about quality sound, Wet Sounds is almost always the answer. No other brand of amp can even come close to their new Sinister series. The biggest problem in pontoon boat setup is unlike ski boats where you sit "inside" the hull so have the ease of putting speakers higher up to increase the sound quality, pontoons are pretty much always down around your feet. There is no way around this. We all are desperately looking for more storage which also limits you. No one is willing to give up a full under seat storage to put in a sub box. That's why we put them under the helm. Another thing that makes Wet Sounds great is their customer service. I've had numerous contact with Tim, who even messaged me back on a Sunday morning! That means something to me. I know he was very helpful with my cousins MB Sport boat, and also gave me a couple ideas and shot down a couple ideas I had for putting in some subs in my RCW. The reason why they had to put the big speaker grill on the helm door was for air movement, when they originally hooked up the AS-10 sub in there, it blew the door open! Guess it's got some bass. Ski boats put cut outs in the seat backs and some cup holders and toss a couple speakers in there, would it work on a pontoon, sure, but since pontoons just have a straight panel they would have to move the backrest in a little to squeeze them in. not to mention that realistically a lot of pontooners don't care a whole lot about the massive amazing stereo, as long as it plays music louder than the motor and it sounds good, they're happy. The wake board and ski boat lifestyle has music entwined in the sport. I'm happy Bennington stepped it up and put the option of quality components in the build process. Look at other manufacturers, I assure you Bennington has one of the best looking and sounding setups. Just my thoughts.

Derrick

I assure you Bennington has one of the best looking and sounding setups. Just my thoughts.

Derrick
So you like to Sony setup then? Wet Sounds are good stuff just pricey... My thought was Bennington needs to replace the Sony with something of a higher standard. Polk, Alpine are a lot higher quality FWIW..

Personally i dont like the Wet Sounds set up option with 1 amp powering it all.

I'm not positive on what they are running to the 6.5's, I hope it isn't just deck power like my Kickers, but the sub is a self powered unit. I had ordered the upgrade after I had placed my boat order and thought it was going to be in the boat, unfortunately there was a mix up and it didn't get put in, so now I will be switching it all out. Your right, they are pricey, but so are our boats! Haha so far I'm pleased with the Sony, it turns on! Haha I never even look at the deck since it is mounted under the helm, all I look at is the little remote pod. I don't think $599 for the amp is too outrageous, once I get it all in I will contemplate the deck, but I have 2 remote pods mounted and they are Sony so it would have to work with it.

I'm not positive on what they are running to the 6.5's, I hope it isn't just deck power like my Kickers, but the sub is a self powered unit. I had ordered the upgrade after I had placed my boat order and thought it was going to be in the boat, unfortunately there was a mix up and it didn't get put in, so now I will be switching it all out. Your right, they are pricey, but so are our boats! Haha so far I'm pleased with the Sony, it turns on! Haha I never even look at the deck since it is mounted under the helm, all I look at is the little remote pod. I don't think $599 for the amp is too outrageous, once I get it all in I will contemplate the deck, but I have 2 remote pods mounted and they are Sony so it would have to work with it.
I guess the important thing is it works for you and a guy can be happy with it all. and LOL on the expensive boats.... I love my Sony Brivia 3dtv LOL

Totally off topic, but I love my Samsung D7000! Haha all I was mainly saying was that I think the world of the Wet Sounds products, at least their better stuff, I've heard it and it blows me away. And as I said from the talks on many other forums, the consensus was Wet Sounds was the way to go. It isn't cheap, that's for sure. And the new xs-650 RGB is great too, I think that is what Bennington will be putting in soon, it has the LED's behind the tweeter instead of the speaker rings. They look great, not on their website yet, but is on their Facebook Page.

How about making an insert that will fit inside the rails on Q and R boats. It would be a solid piece of square stock that fit's the ID of the tube with a slot for a fold out hook for fenders. This "hide a hook" could be spaced in 3 or 4 spots on each side. It wouldnt interfere with the cover or anything else when folded in to the hideaway position. This would be very easy to make and only needs to be about 2.5" total. I can send my address later on where to mail the checks, lol. What do ya think TB?

Can do.

I'd like to be able to leave my Bimini top open and still be able to put the playpen cover on. The way the playpen cover is designed, it can only be put on when the Bimini top is in its folded position. There are no cut outs or flaps for the front legs of the Bimini top when it is in its open position. I always have to fold the Bimini top back to cover the boat
Oddly enough, my 2002 2275 RL playpen cover has this feature.

How's this for an idea? - an electric playpen cover. Maybe rig some tracks along the sides of the playpen, and deploy a full length cover bow to stern. What about the support poles you say? Incorporate self inflating/deflating bags to raise and support the cover to shed water. Perhaps incorporate a convertable top type space at the bow or stern to self store the canvas when not deployed. Snapping on the playpen cover is a chore!

Playpen cover NEEDS to come all the way down and cover the entire aft deck. It seems silly that it doesn't. Means I have to keep climbing up and cleaning off any leaves and debris when it rains while in my driveway. Please and Thank you! :)

At least on the models that have a large extended aft deck (GCW,RCW, etc)

This idea is put forth by my wife, so if you know what's good for ME listen up!! (hahaha :D ) she would love to see some light Grey upholstery offered. Almost silvery. You see it in a lot of wakeboard boats and it does look sharp with a simple black or darker Grey accent. Not sure what you would do with the helm color, but hey, I was just told to offer the suggestion and that's what I have done! I was also told that it would look good with most panel colors offered by Bennington , although probably not so much with the champagne. My work here is done. :)

This idea is put forth by my wife, so if you know what's good for ME listen up!! (hahaha :D ) she would love to see some light Grey upholstery offered. Almost silvery. You see it in a lot of wakeboard boats and it does look sharp with a simple black or darker Grey accent. Not sure what you would do with the helm color, but hey, I was just told to offer the suggestion and that's what I have done! I was also told that it would look good with most panel colors offered by Bennington , although probably not so much with the champagne. My work here is done. :)
Sandstone is close to grey. Take a look at the swatches in person as the pics don't really show the true tone.

I saw this concern expressed earlier today on the Forum and it is also a concern of mine. Can you guys design and manufacture an optional cover for the extended deck on the back of the tritoon? I have ordered the faux teak throughout the boat. The rear of my boat, although under a factory provided cover and a covered slip will be exposed to the western sun for several hours a day. I have bought an engine cowl cover to protect the engine but remain exposed. I suspect this would be a popular option. If you already have this option, please advise. Otherwise please consider and let us know where you land. Thanks

Scott Gower

Back