150 vrs 200

The F150 hp motor will be slightly better on fuel than the F200, but not enough for an operator to tell the difference.  The F200 is essentially the same motor with a higher compression ratio and a larger throttle body (in diameter.)  With a higher gear ratio, the F200 will run at slightly lower rpms at the same cruising speed.

Bama, he's talkin about a Merc.

Mileage is what I get in the truck on the way to the boat!

Yup if it needs gas.......Fill it up!

whats the difference in mileage between the 150 merc and the 200 merc
50 hp. I'm really the first to write that?

50 hp. I'm really the first to write that? 
He was asking for MPG not HP... easily mistaken I know.  From what I have read the milage and performance differences are minimal between 150 and 200 regardless manufacturer.

The F150 hp motor will be slightly better on fuel than the F200, but not enough for an operator to tell the difference.  The F200 is essentially the same motor with a higher compression ratio and a larger throttle body (in diameter.)  With a higher gear ratio, the F200 will run at slightly lower rpms at the same cruising speed.
And as Gilda Radner once said:  "Never mind."

I just looked at the merc site . don't see a naturally aspirated 200 4 stroke. was just wondering if upgrading would be worth it or a waste of money .

He was asking for MPG not HP... easily mistaken I know.  From what I have read the milage and performance differences are minimal between 150 and 200 regardless manufacturer.
. I read it too fast. Didn't see the mileage word. Oops.

IF you already have a 150 and want to upgrade go to the biggest motor you boat will take.  Changing from 150 - 200 isn't worth the money in my opinion. If your buying new then put the biggest one you can afford  :D

. I read it too fast. Didn't see the mileage word. Oops.

:p  Not to many on here worry about economy.  its more like footage really. I will say though I am very impressed with the all around performance of the 150 Yamaha. My buddy has a 250 on his and Im not sure I would spend the extra 10k if I was buying new.  

The merc 150 is a clean sheet new design.  Overbuilt for reliability.  Simon Motorsport is working on a reflash for it.  If you have the new 150, I would wait to see what HP increase Simon comes up with. 

The merc 150 is a clean sheet new design.  Overbuilt for reliability.  Simon Motorsport is working on a reflash for it.  If you have the new 150, I would wait to see what HP increase Simon comes up with.
that sounds good to me. its a new motor. boats rated for 200 hp

You send the ECM to them.  They are in CA..  Or you can get a new ECM (pay core charge) and then send your old ECM back to get core charge refunded. This is if you don't want to lose your boat for a week (shipping ECM, getting it flashed, and then shipped back to you)

They do flywheel modifications as well. 

Not sure if the original poster was asking about 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines?  The 2 stroke Optimax 150hp vs 200hp is a 2.5L block vs 3.0L block with a bunch of other changes in induction systems and gearcase ratio changes.  I can't comment too much on the 4 strokes as I don't run one and have never had any interest in running one (not bashing anyone who runs them, I just don't personally want to own one).

Probably minimal performance gains, but it might get some midrange mpg increase being the engine (Might) have to work a little less hard in the cruising RPM range.

I had illusions of grandeur at one time when Bennington came out with the mega pod transom that allowed the increase of HP on my RCW2275 and other boats with the twin elliptical package increased the max HP from 150 to 200.  That quickly faded when I priced the difference in my trade in (150hp Pro XS) with the cost of a new 200 Pro XS and the cost of the mega pod transom ( a bolt on retrofit and modifications to my waveshield) with the minimal gains I would see in performance.

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Our merc 150 is the 4 stroke.  Mercury posted that the 3.0L block can handle 250 hp but they detuned to 150 hp for reliability.  Leaves lots of room for Simon to do their magic. 

If I got a new ECM from Simon for our Merc 150 fourstroke, then I'd have to get a new prop too, and I don't think Todd has any left.

If I got a new ECM from Simon for our Merc 150 fourstroke, then I'd have to get a new prop too, and I don't think Todd has any left.
Ok, I can get you a 17" prop for you if you do the Simon upgrade.  Free of charge. On the house Dan.  Cause I'd go with a new one if I go with Simon as well. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH.

Back