1st Time Pontoon Owner - Ordering 24SSRXP -Thoughts?

I have the 21SL Basic 2 Toon Benny with a 4 Stroke 90 HP Yamaha 

80% of the time it is just me and my wife cruising the Lake

The 90 HP gives us all the performance we need :)

But the other 20% with friends and family as you said up to 10 

Well all I can say is the cruising speed drops like a lead balloon

10 kids not a problem BUT 10 Middle Aged American Adults (lol) 

Now that is 2000 lbs minimum or more

If I could do it over I would buy the 115 hp 

Just My Experience 

127180124.jpg
Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah having 10 overweight americans will just give us more time to eat and drink on the boat if i don't have enough power get back to the dock.    Looks like I will be upgrading.    

So how is there center storage without a toon there? Is this something new from Bennington?

Ya my curiosity is peaked as well. I thought a center toon was require for in-floor (under deck storage). We have under deck storage and use it for skis, boards, ect.

When we ordered our 13 SLX in December of 12 .I thought the dealer told me that it was tube storage .Didn't order so ,not sure .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it goes to show what happens when we assume things. Sorry Sparty! Still would recommend the 115. Motor won't need to work near as hard and be more efficient. You will love your boat no matter how you decide to spend your money.

Looks like a nice build Sparty if you just plan on cruising or fishing. Lots of cool bling. I would bump up the motor to a 115 hp. It will only add about $7 to your payment. Trust what everybody said.

Looks like a nice build Sparty if you just plan on cruising or fishing. Lots of cool bling. I would bump up the motor to a 115 hp. It will only add about $7 to your payment. Trust what everybody said.
Thanks for the info.   Will do so based on all the feedback.   

I agree with the above posters.  Not sure what motor you're going with, but the Yamaha VMAX 115 is only about a $1200 upgrade from the 90hp and will give you a pretty nice performance boost.
I have the 115 Vmax on my 2015 22SCWX. It is rated at 127 HP per Yamaha. Definitely worth the upgrade over a 90 HP. A 115 is max HP for my boat, if I were to do it again and money was no object, the 150 with SPS.

I agree with the above posters.  Not sure what motor you're going with, but the Yamaha VMAX 115 is only about a $1200 upgrade from the 90hp and will give you a pretty nice performance boost.
Do you currently have a 115hp vmax motor or a vmax motor?  Any issues with it.  My first call to the dealer to ask about they said they have a lot more issues with that motor vs. the standard 115hp 4 stroke.   Any insight would be great.   Thanks

Do you currently have a 115hp vmax motor or a vmax motor?  Any issues with it.  My first call to the dealer to ask about they said they have a lot more issues with that motor vs. the standard 115hp 4 stroke.   Any insight would be great.   Thanks
I have 50 hrs of use in year one on my 115 vmax. No mechanical issues whatsoever. I did notice a puff of blue smoke every time upon startup prior to my first oil change. After changing the oil for the first time at 12 hrs, I filled oil to 3/4 only as I read somewhere not to fill to top of dipstick. The blue smoke on start up was resolved instantly plus I store the motor in the full tilt position while in the boat slip. Not sure if the 3/4 full resolved it or storing motor up? Also, I have read that break in procedure is critical to this power plant as well. I followed it to a T as difficult as it was. Lots of funny looks in the river and lake!

Love love this motor.

In the Merc fourstroke brand, the 90 and 115 are the same motor.  At least it was a few years ago.  I assume it still is.  The 90 was just detuned in the programming to not put out as much power.  I think the 70 HP is the same motor too, just detuned even more.

I wonder what the cost would be to buy a 70, then have Simon Motorsports tune it back up to 115...  That might be cheaper than just getting a 115.

Food for thought.

I'm just a few posts from 3000.  I need to get a life.

Back