1st time Winterization at Lake Norman......

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Called the local Bennington dealership on the lake to get a ball park figure for having my Benny winterized for the 1st time here in NC. Since buying it in 2008 we had it winterized at a our marina in Virginia.

Winterization includes running antifreeze through the engine block. Adding Stabil to the gas tank. Changing engine oil and filter. Changing fuel/water separator. Changing lower unit grease/fluid. Removing SS prop, cleaning and greasing the splines and reinstalling prop. Greasing all fittings to include the gimbal bearing. All parts and labor and tax cost us about $320-$340.

I told the service department at Lake Norman marina that I wanted the same work performed here and they quoted me a price of $617. Shocked........ I asked for the breakdown........$199 for the antifreeze running through the block and Stabil. $317 for the oil change/filter/fuel/water separator. $60 to change the lower unit fluid and $40 to remove and clean the splines of the prop and replace and grease all fittings...........Wow! $317 for an oil change!

Already found another boat mechanic that will perform the work that was recommended by another Bennington forum member THaigler...........

Just had a 29 ft Baja with twin 454's winterized for $235.10. $175 for labor and the rest for antifreeze and sales tax.

Just had a 29 ft Baja with twin 454's winterized for $235.10. $175 for labor and the rest for antifreeze and sales tax.
What does it cost to change the oil?!?

I've got a guy that does it who used to work at the old Benny dealer. Give me a call.

Wow BigKahuna that is some expensive winterization.  Part of the payment must be the warm weather tax

I've got a guy that does it who used to work at the old Benny dealer. Give me a call.
Everything's done Carl......Took it to a guy on your side of the lake on Rt. 16. He did the full winterization, replaced the serpentine belt, welded the interior port side splashguard that was partially unattached, and rewired part of my trailer lighting that had a short in it...........$408. Very happy![

quote name=guardrail22" post="74479" timestamp="1446869382]PITA to get oil out of those I/Os.

FWIW lake Norman doesn't usually freeze. We use our boat year round

My I/O has a drain tube plug from the oil pan that fits through the hole where the bilge drain plug is. It's actually not hard to do but pretty easy when somebody else does it. Ha!

Not sure. I can have him quote it.
Just curious.....

We paid a little more this year 

Due to the inactivity of Benny 

We needed to get the pontoons power washed and cleaned properly due to the algae growth 

The new dealer who winterized, stored and cleaned boat claims it looks brand new.

Time will tell (lol)

What can I say ,,,,, I heard that before 

Laughing+Goofy.gif

Called the local Bennington dealership on the lake to get a ball park figure for having my Benny winterized for the 1st time here in NC. Since buying it in 2008 we had it winterized at a our marina in Virginia.

Winterization includes running antifreeze through the engine block. Adding Stabil to the gas tank. Changing engine oil and filter. Changing fuel/water separator. Changing lower unit grease/fluid. Removing SS prop, cleaning and greasing the splines and reinstalling prop. Greasing all fittings to include the gimbal bearing. All parts and labor and tax cost us about $320-$340.

I told the service department at Lake Norman marina that I wanted the same work performed here and they quoted me a price of $617. Shocked........ I asked for the breakdown........$199 for the antifreeze running through the block and Stabil. $317 for the oil change/filter/fuel/water separator. $60 to change the lower unit fluid and $40 to remove and clean the splines of the prop and replace and grease all fittings...........Wow! $317 for an oil change!

Already found another boat mechanic that will perform the work that was recommended by another Bennington forum member THaigler...........

That's why I change my own oils. You can't tell me that's a fair price on $60.00 worth of product. That would put their labor at about $280/hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just had our boat winterized before it was sent back to bennington for some warranty work and it cost us $250.  That was an oil and filter change - lower unit change - fuel/water filter change - fuel conditioned (stabil of some sort) - battery dis-connect.  Our marina will either come to you on your own dock via the "polar express" or you can bring it over to them.  Actually it's cheaper for us if they come to our dock since we don't have a trailer and there would be a pull and launch fee of $45 on top of the $250.  If we had a trailer so I could pull it out I think I could do all of it for roughly $100....till then it's going to be 250 a year.

12196349_10153291185687810_1025972716695804070_n_zpsc9gtzboc.jpg

12239997_10153291185667810_2832543045253025829_n_zpslpool1sb.jpg

12227802_10153291185752810_1319850006786161392_n_zpsdsjbxz0f.jpg

Back