2006 2250GL Rebuild

Sunset Marine

Reaction score
Here is a project I have been working on for the past few weeks. First let me start by introducing myself, my name is Josh Aukes and I work for Sunset Marine, the former David Fritts Outdoors. We are a Bennington dealership located in Lexington NC. I have had multiple pontoons first an older 20' Lowe with a 30HP Evinrude that worked good for our needs in the beginning but my family quickly out grew. Then found a deal on a 25' Crest Savannah that needed a lot of work, but was a solid platform. I didn’t keep it long after getting it up and running I decided it just needed too much work.

Now to the start of this project. An opportunity presented it self to basically rebuild a very neglected 2006 2250GL Bennington. Here is my chance at owning a Bennington! I was very excited, but also a little nervous at the same time, this is going to be a lot of work. The boat was involved in an accident on the highway where basically put, it came off the trailer and rolled over multiple times.

Here is the beginning picture and how it was received here at the dealership:

DSCN6724.jpg

DSCN6733.jpg

DSCN6731.jpg

After dropping it off at the welders shop to get the pontoons repaired, and the two spray shields that were torn off. I quickly removed basically...... everything, the rails, the seats, the console, the carpet, and 4 pieces of the plywood floor.

DSCN6866.jpg

DSCN6869.jpg

DSCN6961.jpg

DSCN6963.jpg

I am happy to say, it is now going in the right direction. Hell, I don’t think I could have taken much more off of it! Having a house on High Rock lake, and week after week watching everyone else enjoying there boat, im ready to be back on the water. I have been very fortunate to have a great group of friends, which first started as customers, they have picked me up on the dock for an occasional pontoon ride, but it’s just not the same.

Here is how it sits today, more pics as the project evolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Nice job and welcome to the forum.

Wow! That is quite a project to take on! look forward to seeing the pics as it progresses.

Derrick

You will have her back ship shape in no time at all. You will be the proud owner of a new Bennington and you will be able to tell everyone I built her myself.

I am envious, I love to tackle projects like that. Wish you were closer, I would sure help.

Welcome, you will find a lot of helpful guys. Keep us posted on the progress and we like lots of pictures.

Wow Josh, thanks for posting the pix. I am not handy but love seeing your work. Can't wait to see the finished product but please be sure to update as work progresses every now and then.

Great job Josh. Keep us posted on the updates.

I'm excited to see what cool modifications you make to it. Keep us updated on your progress!

You should put the RCW loungers at the front of the boat! The wife thinks that would be nice to be able to look out the front!

Derrick

Attached the floor, installed deck skirting, and laid the carpet. It was a tough choice but ended up with the Mocha Matrix carpet.

DSCN6970.jpg

DSCN6973.jpg

I’m now done under the boat and next is the console.

DSCN6974.jpg

I chose the silver "super sport" gauge trim with new black gauges, new console has no holes in it so the radio, the binnacle control, key switch, windshield mount all needed to be cut out. If you see something that looks crooked.... I don’t want to know about it! ;)

New helm, new radio trim, new switches, and a SS cup holder!

Very nice indeed. Cool that you have a "clean canvas" to lay out the boat you want. Forward recliner sounds neat though. Derrick is always thinking "outside the box". Must be that cool clean Canadian air. :rolleyes: Gerry

Cool project!!! Best part is you get to pick the best components, ideas, and layout to make your own "custom" Bennington. I love my Mocha Matrix carpet, and it is holding up well. Thanks for all the pics!!! I am always swimming under my boat trying to figure out how things went together and how well it is put together. Your pics are just the thing for us to satisfy that curiosity!!

Very nice indeed. Cool that you have a "clean canvas" to lay out the boat you want. Forward recliner sounds neat though. Derrick is always thinking "outside the box". Must be that cool clean Canadian air. :rolleyes: Gerry
I figure throw those big loungers out front, have the normal lounger beside the helm, with that big ole super lounger in back, maybe even have room for a stand alone chair like on the port side of the rlcp. Oh and Gerry, we're Bennington owners, we are already "outside the box", more like "on top of the deck!"

Derrick

You know what? We actually had a model with two loungers in front. (2008 or so?) We sold exactly TWO of them, having to discount the dickens out of the second one just to get it out of the dealership and into a customer's hands! Fortunately, he liked this set-up.

Anyway, once burned, we hesitate to step on the hot coals again! On the other hand, we developed a tower back in 1999 and couldn't get it off the ground. Re-introduced it 12 years later and it's a hot ticket! Go figure... TB

I really enjoy learning things from other businesses that have tried different ideas. We all learn from successes and failures. Thanks for the information. Was your old tower as stylist as the new one? At what point did you start designing for the 30 year old buyer. Our Community Dock is a great example of the new reality. Of the 40+ slips, there are 5 runabouts, everything else docked is a pontoon.

Josh,What a great project! i am a car guy and have been involved in car restorations but never a boat. i will be very interested in following your progress.Jackj

It's coming along nicely. At a stop for a few days waiting on a few parts to arrive. That will give me some time to clean up the old interior that I am going to have to use. It would be nice to install new seating but the budget wont allow that at this time.

Here is how it looks this morning.

DSCN6989.jpg

It was a tough choice between Regatta blue and Smokey granite, I hope I made the right choice.

I have said it once and I will say it again, you really never know how well something is built until you have to take it apart. There is no doubt a Bennington is the best built pontoon you can buy. I have not seen one thing that could have been done any better.

Man that thing is looking GOOD! Very interesting project. Must take a lot of patience.

Super job so far! When do you anticipate completion???????? Will it get wet this season??????

Back