2017 SSRX 21' Yamaha 90 VS 115

If the budget allows now don't settle for the 90 or even the 115.....go straight for the 150 and sps hull.  You can thank me later and your wallet won't hurt as much as buying the second new boat before the start of the next boating season.  We call that PAD's around here and it tends to get expensive rather quickly.

The wife wouldn't drive our old boat (had a 50 and cable steering) but doesn't mind the new boat even with the 150 and hydraulic steering (the power assist can be added later if need be).

Docking with the hydraulic steering is a but different than cable but it can be done easily with practice.

We have a 2014 24 SCWX with a 90 h.p. thought that would be sufficient for our needs. Well looking back wish we would have gone bigger in the back. 115 would probably be perfect. So now we are looking to upgrade to a Tritoon with at least a 150 h.p.. So my advice would be if you divide your $1500 by the length of your loan (unless your a cash guy ) for the extra little amount of $$$  "ching ching" I would just go for it. Easy to spend someone else's money. Welcome aboard!

Good Luck !

Also your budget will swing based on your financing option. Of ALL the places we looked, based off apr, money down, etc... we ended up with State Farm Bank. Beat our credit unions best rate (lower than advertised) and we came in probably $30-$40 under our original budgeted payment. They also did everything over phone, and met us at our dealer to close. Not saying others would do the same, but I give S.F. an A++++. 

BulldogsCadillac,

I appreciate your experience and candor.  I get the picture, I am getting a realistic perspective about what 90-115 hp would yield in water sports performance.  What was your speed for straight line pulling of the tube?  

For regular cruising 90-115 hp apprears to be more than adequate for speeds 22-26mph.   Tubing and water sports will encompass 1/3 of the service time.

At this point I have changed significantly (budget wise) since my starting point of 20' SLM with a 50hp (a sweet pontoon).   The deal thrown at me for the 21' SSRX 90hp to hard to pass up.  Thank you again.

mnlakeboy

Straight line was I believe between 24-26mph. Which is more than fast enough, in a straight line. The problem you run into is when you load the boat up with family friends and you start doing hard s turns. It really just bogs the power out and can't accelerate. 

I'm really surprised to hear a 115 doing 34, I wonder if that was with twin ellipticals, which could be possible .

As was stated, please don't think we are all trying to be negative on the good deal, totally not the case. We all just want to make sure that you have the real world information to make the best decision. I may know a little something about this PAD's infection people have mentioned! :D

99 times out of a hundred I could get by driving a GMC Terrain, but for the ONE time I need to tow the boat, I needed that 6.2L Escalade!!  Hehe

But once again, if you go into the purchase knowing the limitations, than at least you make the right decision based on your situation. I loved being out on our 90hp Bennington, still turned a ton of heads and it made me know for a fact that when I upgraded, it would be another Bennington! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,

I am new to the Bennington Family and the pontoon world.  Previously I had a 19' runabout, life has changed and we want to share our time on the water with more of our friends and family.  Also my kids are adults (young) and want to have their friends on the pontoon for swimming and tubing.   I have a 21' SSRX on hold priced out with a Yamaha 90.  We would love to pull a water skier however realistically (budget wise) our requirements will usually fall into pulling adults and children on tubes with 6-8 passengers on board.

We have an option to switch to a Yamaha 115 for $800 however after asking the dealer (Says it won't make much of a difference) and reading the posts on this forum I need some additional input on this option is really worth the investment (performance - resale).  The SSRX is not equipped with lifting strakes.  I have been told that I might need to add Sea Star to control the torque of the 115 as I will have operators of various ages and physical capacity. Would this $1500 expense be mandatory for the 115?

I have read an article in the forum that maintaining 22 mph is the "Magic" speed for most water sports would the 90 suffice or will I need the 115?  

Any experienced comments about the power upgrade or the 21' SSRX would be appreciated.   

mnlakeboy

(new Bennington owner)

There's a lot of suggestions going on here! Why don't you give the group here a run down of the included options on the boat you have on hold. As stated several times,everyone here is only trying to help with your final decision.

All,

Sorry it has taken me a few hours to respond.  Thank you so much for you thoughtful advice.

As requested the specifics of my build are as follows:

2017 21' SSRX Midnight Black with Sandstone interior,  2 - standard tubes, Tilt Steering, Curved Boarding Ladder with swim platform, Factory Sharkhide protection, Custom Wheel, Sandstone Docking lights.

Based on the input I have received so far here are my thoughts and plans:

1.  I wish I had more money to work with!  I am cognizant of the cost of performance and the savings of doing it right the first time, however I am getting more boat than I originally was looking for.

2.  Club Bennington members are very very helpful.

3.  Will most likely upgrade to the 115hp on current build, with realistic expectations that I may only add 3-5mph top end improvement (no lifting strakes) with added resale appeal (maxed out power for the pontoon)

4.  I will suffer from PADs ( unfortunately I will need another $7-10k to get a awesome water sports setup). 

5.  My family and I will enjoy this Bennington pontoon and most likely upgrade in a few years.  

6.  70% probability I won't need some type of steering upgrade.  I am still concerned about this as I can't test drive.

7.  Already ordered upgraded Kicker 43KM654LCW LED speakers w/remote.  

I have not contacted the dealer yet so I appreciate additional comments.

The important thing is you have come to the right place and have researched BEFORE buying it and are better informed of what to expect. If you are comfortable with the expectations on power, that is what's important. You are going in understanding you won't have a speed demon, but IT will still provide plenty of fun. That's what matters!! "Miles of Smiles" !!  :)

Straight line was I believe between 24-26mph. Which is more than fast enough, in a straight line. The problem you run into is when you load the boat up with family friends and you start doing hard s turns. It really just bogs the power out and can't accelerate. 

I'm really surprised to hear a 115 doing 34, I wonder if that was with twin ellipticals, which could be possible .

As was stated, please don't think we are all trying to be negative on the good deal, totally not the case. We all just want to make sure that you have the real world information to make the best decision. I may know a little something about this PAD's infection people have mentioned! :D

99 times out of a hundred I could get by driving a GMC Terrain, but for the ONE time I need to tow the boat, I needed that 6.2L Escalade!!  Hehe

But once again, if you go into the purchase knowing the limitations, than at least you make the right decision based on your situation. I loved being out on our 90hp Bennington, still turned a ton of heads and it made me know for a fact that when I upgraded, it would be another Bennington! 

Here is a video from our last boat with it hitting 35 with regular toons with lifting strakes. I would recommend them for sure.

I would NOT buy a boat without lifting strakes, period. You will only plow the water. You should get strakes instead of speakers.

Rant over.

The 115 without strakes will probably not give you that much speed improvement.  It will help you not slow down as much when loaded.  I had a 22' non straked 2 toon.  Went from a 40hp to 90hp to 120hp.  Picked up 4 mph.  The boat would never get on plane. I just made a bigger wake. You will love your boat but you will end up not happy.  

Well I made my decision, I went with the F115LB Yamaha.  Delivery planned for Tuesday April, 25th.   Thank you fir your help.  When I take delivery I will post pictures.

You'll be glad you did, both when using it and it will also help after you get PADS :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video from our last boat with it hitting 35 with regular toons with lifting strakes. I would recommend them for sure.

Lakeliving, do you recall what type, diameter & pitch prop you used on your 22-SSLX 115 to achieve 35mph? I have yet to choose a prop for my yet-to-be-delivered 2017 21SFX, 115 Vmax SHO (elliptical toons) no strakes. When the day finally arrives that the ice goes out on my lake and I can get my new Benny launched, I'll be sure to publish it's actual performance numbers.

mnlakeboy, have you chosen a prop for your 115 yet? I was going to go with a 90 on my new Benny but was convinced by my salesman to go with the 115. I'm not as interested in watersports as I am in fishing & cruising so I didn't order strakes & thought the 115 would be the best balance between straight-line performance (to get off the lake quickly if needed), fuel economy and the ability to troll when fishing. You did well to join this forum and consult the regulars here, their advice can save a lot of future regrets! If I'd joined a little sooner, I might not already be thinking I'd have gotten a different model! :rolleyes:

Lakeliving, do you recall what type, diameter & pitch prop you used on your 22-SSLX 115 to achieve 35mph? I have yet to choose a prop for my yet-to-be-delivered 2017 21SFX, 115 Vmax SHO (elliptical toons) no strakes. When the day finally arrives that the ice goes out on my lake and I can get my new Benny launched, I'll be sure to publish it's actual performance numbers.

mnlakeboy, have you chosen a prop for your 115 yet? I was going to go with a 90 on my new Benny but was convinced by my salesman to go with the 115. I'm not as interested in watersports as I am in fishing & cruising so I didn't order strakes & thought the 115 would be the best balance between straight-line performance (to get off the lake quickly if needed), fuel economy and the ability to troll when fishing. You did well to join this forum and consult the regulars here, their advice can save a lot of future regrets! If I'd joined a little sooner, I might not already be thinking I'd have gotten a different model! :rolleyes:

I think a 13.5 x15 but that doesn't seem right. Maybe it is though!!! I'm useless! 

I have a 22sslx with the Yamaha 90 and a 15 pitch prop. 3 adults on board pulling two 120 pound teenagers I run about 22-24 mph according to GPS. A friend has the 115 and there is not that much difference in speed but a little more corning power with the tube. There is however a big difference in the gas economy. I use far less than he does. The weight is quite a bit different. His boat sets a lot lower in the back. Mine stays almost level. The 15 pitch gives more consistent speed than the 13 that I also have. I don't loose much speed from 2 people to 5 or 6. If you are considering an upgrade do it on the new boat. The upgrade price will much higher later on. We are very satisfied with the 90.

. we ended up with State Farm Bank.

but I give S.F. an A++++. 

I have had SF all my insured life.  I also used their financing, remember, you can do a 20 yr. note. :wacko:

SPS/150 !  No regrets, had a 19' v6 glass, so much better now.  There may be disappointment with your 115 spec, there will not be any with a 150/sps.    

but for the ONE time I need to tow the boat, I needed that 6.2L Escalade!!  Hehe

I'd love to slip one of those in one of my 03'S 

My 22sf with a 115 mercury 2 tube with strakes and a solas 15.25 x15 prop with just me on board and a full tank of fuel will hit 35 mph, with me and the better half its 32 mph, add a couple of friends and your down to 27 - 28. 

The strakes make a big differents even with a pretty heavy load it will still get on plane. But if I had it to do over I would have got the salt water pkg. with sealed strakes. These make a lot of noise fishing with the movement of the boat and water and air exchange in the strakes.

Hello,

Well the much anticipated day arrived as I took delivery yesterday of my new Bennington.   A beautiful boat.  Spent 3.5 hrs at the lake in 45 degree windy conditions completing the first few hours of the engine break-in.  Today 39 cold windy and raining.  

Purchased the 115hp.  Thank all who participated in this thread.  We will see if that decision will pay off in the future.  Pictures to come later this week as it is forecasted to be in the 60's Wednesday.

mnlakeboy,

You are going to love you're Benny. The most important part of the build are the family and friends that you will add each time you venture out. ENJOY!!!

Hello,

Well the much anticipated day arrived as I took delivery yesterday of my new Bennington.   A beautiful boat.  Spent 3.5 hrs at the lake in 45 degree windy conditions completing the first few hours of the engine break-in.  Today 39 cold windy and raining.  

Purchased the 115hp.  Thank all who participated in this thread.  We will see if that decision will pay off in the future.  Pictures to come later this week as it is forecasted to be in the 60's Wednesday.

Enjoy the boat.You can take pictures after you stop shivering! Hope you do get that warm weather.

Back