24sl or 22sl

liljake83

Reaction score
looking to buy my first bennie i like the size of the 22sl with tripple pontoon package and lifting strakes with the 115hp motor it is supposed to do 37mph but was wondering how much more if any performance would there be in a tripple pontoon package and lifting stakes on a 24 sl with 150hp verado package? and would it be worth the extra coin to go for powersteering option?

I had a similar situation. We were convinced the 24 SSL was best for us over the 22 SSL (due to it holding 13 passengers vs 9, which meant a difference of three families instead of two) and we debated long on whether to get a 115 or the 150 w/hydraulic steering. After a test drive when the boat came in, we ended up going with the 115 HP and express package with 2 strakes on each of the 3 tubes (so 6 total), and we are able to hit 35 MPH with three adults and one child and a mostly full tank of gas. I've not run our boat alone yet (haven't had it long), but I'm guessing it would hit 36 MPH with one person and just fumes in the tank. So, if that's fast enough for you, save the bucks and get the 115. I can't say how much faster the 150 would go, but my guess would be around 2-4 MPH faster, based on things I've read. It's a pretty steep price jump for that few extra MPH due to the current 150 Verados having digital throttle and shift, which adds a lot to the cost. Plus the increase in HP. Plus the hydraulic steering. I'd have to look back in my notes, but I think retail was $4000 more. I'd say you'd have to go with hydraulic steering on a 150. Our 115 is like driving an old car from the 70s without power steering, but you only notice it if you have to turn sharp quickly. Its a bit easier to turn if its trimmed right. Adding power steering is a step up from hydraulic steering (just pointing out there is a difference, in case you weren't aware). I heard starting the Jan/Feb, new 150 Verados would be built without the digital throttle and shift, which would lower the price around $1500 if I remember right. Call your dealer on the price, but since it's winter, you might wait a few months if you decide to go with the 150.

Last edited by a moderator:
only 2-4 mph more with a 150 hp verado that doesnt sound worth it does anybody know for sure how much more mph to expect with a 150hp vs a 115hp?

I can't speak from experience but one of the 150 2stroke guys has had his 24' R series up around 45mph with 2 tubes. Also some of the Verdados come with power steering built in. Just some things to research and ask around about to know what you're buying.

Good luck with your choice. What i can tell u is i have a 2275 rcw with 32" elils and strakes. Merc 150 optimax pro xs and i am in low 40's with light load. The xs is about 160 to 165hp.

Be honest with yourself. Decide what is important to u and make your choice. Worst thing u can do is second guess yourself.

Good luck and enjoy that new Bennie

Todd

Back