24ssl and 115hp merc

portdeposit

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received a new 24ssl a few months ago (never had a pontoon before) and need some real world numbers.

What range of performance figures should i expect with a 115 on the 24ssl, two tube, with strakes? I have two anchors, some fishing stuff, jackets etc. nothing crazy in terms of gear. Usually with two people and what i would call normal gear on board I am hitting about 27 mph max. cruising about 4200 rpm it is usually around 15 mph.

I am not complaining just trying to gauge it.

Also, has anyone experienced issues with fuel gauges? I usually make a trip that round trip takes about 11 gallons. I've made the same trip and had to fill up right at 11 gallons many times. Then all of a sudden recently coming in from a short 5 mile trip which i started with almost half a tank, the gauge read dead empty when i hit the dock. Turned out there was almost 4 gallons in there still. The gauge is obviously off a bit but it also means I burned an abnormal amount on that trip.

thanks

Hi portdeposit, welcome to the club!

Look in the props and power section for some comparative numbers, and post your numbers there as well ;)

As for the fuel gauge, in general, boat fuel gauges just aren't as accurate as your cars fuel gauge, and the attitude of the boat makes a difference as well. When the bow is up, fuel is displaced to the rear of the tank away from the float. But with 4 gals. left, you won't run out :D

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Usually with two people and what i would call normal gear on board I am hitting about 27 mph max. cruising about 4200 rpm it is usually around 15 mph.
My two 'toon 22 footer with the same motor is pulling the same numbers.

So....

Having the same boat (24SSL with 115 hp), if your numbers are correct, that means the express package adds 8 mph? I hit 35 pretty easily (full gear, 3-4 people) and the only difference appears to be the center tube...

I never had the feeling that it would add that much, so maybe there's room for more speed with a different prop on your boat?

I also have 2 anchors, 2 batteries, tools, 2 tubes, and all the normal stuff. I also appear to hit the rev limiter with a light boat, so I may get more speed from a different prop too.

I have a 2275RL, perhaps heavier than yours, and I'm getting 24 MPH via GPS. I do get an extra 4 - 5 MPH when I go down stream like Kaydano. :lol:

It's down hill, not down stream. Can't go down stream on a lake. But, since our lake sits on a slope, I do go much faster down hill.

Seriously though, I can get an extra 1 mph with the front gate open... But that doesn't count. :p

I have a 2275RL, perhaps heavier than yours, and I'm getting 24 MPH via GPS. I do get an extra 4 - 5 MPH when I go down stream like Kaydano. :lol:
Jim, I also am a 2275RL, 2 toons no strakes. The day after I broke my boat in I was getting 27mph on GPS, now that my boat has been in the water for about 5 weeks I am now getting 25mph. I am seriuosly considering having my dealer put the third full length center toon on it over the winter. Not doing this for speed, I am more of a 15mph cruiser but like to party with 8-10 friends on board especially on sunset cruises. I have to admit I will be curious [and happy] if it also adds a little more speed

Back