25 hp Yamaha

Reaction score
I'm looking at a new 2018 Bennington 168 SL pontoon. It comes with a 25 hp motor. I have a 2003 Crest 18' with a 25 hp Yamaha. It is not fuel injected, hard to start and doesn't move my boat very fast. I don't need a lot of speed, but reliability is a must! I've asked the dealer for a quote with a 40 hp Yamaha. However, after doing some research, I've learned that the 25 hp that came on the boat is "high thrust" with a high thrust prop. It is also fuel injected which should solve my issues with reliability and easy starting. I can save 2 grand by going with the 25 instead of upgrading to the 40. Any opinions or experience with the new 25 hp motor on a small (16-17') pontoon?

Sorry can’t help you with that one. Perhaps someone with some experience will answer. You made the right decision looking at Benningtons.

All depends on how you use your boat. Of course any new engine will be reliable. Also depends on how long you keep the boat as resales of a small engine would be fairly slow unless you are at a lake with HP restrictions

I second what has been said in that both will be reliable and the only difference will be about 3 or so mph top end.
A two tube set up without lifting strakes will only go so fast and neither those engines will push hard enough to benefit from strakes. If you are happy at 10-12 mph then you should be fine either way..

Dealer I was working with said they don't swap motors, so they won't upgrade the 25hp to 40. Looks like I will have to inquire about ordering a 2019 168 SL from my local dealer. This prompts two more questions:
  1. I've been told that Bennington has a new program for cookie cutter pontoon boats at new lower pricing. Is this true?
  2. If I order a boat with a 40hp motor, would a Mercury Big Foot or High Thrust be a better choice?

Can not answer #1 but on #2, the big foot with higher thrust will have the ability to carry a larger prop and should give you more push which is important on a pontoon.
I am more of a Yamaha fan however, there is a lot of support for the Mercury and would expect some answers from folks that have the bigfoot. If you get no answers on the Big Foot question do another post with that question as the header and I am sure you will get answers...

I once had a Mercury 60hp Bigfoot on a 21' Suntracker and it was a great motor.

I think the Merc high thrust might be the best option for me. I did a "build and price" on the Bennington web-site and found that there is a $365.00 Tariff on the 40 hp version! :(

Hello from a fellow Sparty. Where in MI do you boat?

Hey Sparty,
We live in Lansing, have a cottage on the West Shore of Houghton Lake where we boat during the summer. We rent a place (Piney Point) at a 50+yrs old park in Palmetto, Florida in the winter.

Nice to meet you!

Gary

Hey Sparty,
We live in Lansing, have a cottage on the West Shore of Houghton Lake where we boat during the summer. We rent a place (Piney Point) at a 50+yrs old park in Palmetto, Florida in the winter.

Nice to meet you!

Gary
As a follow up to our chat in messages, in addition to being near each other’s cottages on the west shore of Houghton Lake, we actually live in Haslett. Michiman also lives in mid-Michigan, but has a place and boats up north on Houghton Lake. Small world Gary!!!

It’s a small world! I used to live in Howell!

Sounds like a plan Gary: MJ’s for breakfast come summer.

Yes Bennington has a new Join The Family Program with smaller length boats and low HP motors. You do not get hardly any choices of anything on the boat and it is no haggle pricing on these boats. The price is the price.

Room for one more?? Never been but might have to check it out this weekend...

I’d say yes, all of three of us should meet up there come summer for a breakfast. I’ve never stopped into MJ’s before either, so its a good excuse to get up there. On a related note, were you up the lake this weekend Steve? It was as perfect as perfect can be. Just gorgeous every moment of each day.

I’d say yes, all of three of us should meet up there come summer for a breakfast. I’ve never stopped into MJ’s before either, so its a good excuse to get up there. On a related note, were you up the lake this weekend Steve? It was as perfect as perfect can be. Just gorgeous every moment of each day.
We were and had two great days boating. Made it to MJ's Sunday morning and will give it a "thumbs up" for sure. Took the boat out of the water this afternoon. Apparently they're working on the dam and removed two boards a couple of weeks ago rather than in October as allegedly promised. As such, Spicer's states the only viable boat launch for bigger boats is the south DNR. Don't wait too long to pull you baby...

Back