2574GCW - 200hp SHO - WOT 4700rpm?

tj shanahan

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions if I'm over propped or if my tach may be off.

2011 2574 GCW, Yamha 200 SHO, 15 1/2 x 17 Yamaha Saltwater Series II

WOT 4700rpm, 35mph..

1/2 tank gas, 2 guys, no wind, water was like glass, 50% trim

Considered moving to the 15 3/4 x 15 Saltwater series, but my local boat dealer says each degree pitch will only get me about 150rpms. That puts me about 1000rpms away from where I should be WOT.

Open to thoughts...

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta remember that's a biga$$ boat and I think you should try a 15p. I run a 15p on my 150 but my boat is only 22' long.

I have the same motor, it should be the 15, not the 17, the 17 is recommended for the 250. I hit about 42mph with 56 gallons of fuel, me, wife and 2 big dogs (total passenger weight = 520lbs) and all gear. Bimini up. 5700rpm.

I have the same motor, it should be the 15, not the 17, the 17 is recommended for the 250. I hit about 42mph with 56 gallons of fuel, me, wife and 2 big dogs (total passenger weight = 520lbs) and all gear. Bimini up. 5700rpm.
Derrick, thx for the response. Quick question, what size (dia.) prop are you running and do you have any mid-range number (speed @ 3500rpms)?

Does this prop have the SDS on it Shift dampening system?
JJMax....No, it is not the SDS prop.

I should have noted in the first post. My dealer is telling me that by running 17p and WOT at 4700 I'm actually hurting my engine. Does this make sense? This seems almost counter-intuitive to me, If I'm ok with the 35mph @ 4700 it seems like I would not be hurting the engine because I'm 1000rpms below the theoretical max. Am I wrong?

I don't have the mid range numbers, it's a 15 3/4 x 15. Your best bet is go to Yamaha's website, click on performance bulletins and look for something similar, they do have quite a few Bennington's tested.

If your manual states that 4700 is below the lowest wot rpm, then you are lugging your motor and damage can occur. Outboards have typically a 500 to 1000 rpm recommended range at wot that they must run in. You want to prop your boat with a light load as close to the top of the rpm range as possible. When you add weight etc, the rpms drop but still fall in the range.

What is the rpm range of your motor?

One more quick check is to look at the back of your tach and make sure the dip switch is in the correct position, usually a 3 position switch for 4/6/8 cylinder modes. I had mine do that when new and I found the switch was in the wrong position.

Lookeed at Yamaha website this morning. 200 SHO should be in the 5000-6000 WOT rpm range. So if your tach setting is correct and you're only pulling 4700rpm, then you need a smaller pitch.

Good luck

Todd

Lookeed at Yamaha website this morning. 200 SHO should be in the 5000-6000 WOT rpm range. So if your tach setting is correct and you're only pulling 4700rpm, then you need a smaller pitch.

Good luck

Todd
After reading the size of your boat and seeing the prop you have I would definitely say less prop as well. That is a huge boat for a 200, I can't believe a dealer would have even recommended a 200 for a barge that size.

Is it a 2754 or 2574?

Don't think there is any such model as a 2754, so it must be a 2574.

You're correct, 25 and 28, no 27.

Is it a 2754 or 2574?
Sorry about that, it is a 2574. Took it to the dealer this morning and confirmed the tach is dead-on accurate. Going to try the 15 3/4 by 15p (Yamaha Saltwater Series SDS). I'll report back my results in about a week. Assuming it works, I'll be selling my current 15 1/2 x 17p in case it fits anyone's application.

Thx

Tim

I have a 2550 gbr with the f200 Yamaha. Half tank of fuel and my wife on board I get 40 mph at 6000 rpm wot. I have a 15 1/2 17 pitch prop.

You guys are only talking props and engines, what about pontoons?

I think somebody needs to check the throttle linkage settings at the engine and binnacle to make sure the engine is reaching full throttle.

PDX.........Dang, that's hauling the mail for a 20 hp !! :eek:

If you use the SDS you will want to call Yamaha directly . There will be a difference in which model they suggest .Under the bulletin they do not use SDS on the Saltwater series. I just went through this battle because of the SDS I have a 2375 GCW with a 250 sho

Back