32" Elliptical 'Toons among other things...

Chris Z

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a few questions about the elliptical pontoons and the associated Fresh Water Performance Package. I wasn't able to test a boat with this configuration and I'm wondering about the bow rise and cruising attitude that the boat will settle with once under way at half throttle and above. Also, at rest does the boat sit basically level like boats with the 25" 'toons? Does the wave shield that is part of this package do the job that it's intended to do? Quieter ride, etc.

I did not opt for the raised helm because I didn't think that the boat would need it due to bow-rise. I thought it was meant more for seeing over passengers in the seating directly in front of you. Hopefully this wasn't a mistake. 

Do you find that the gauge package is accurate? I'm not concerned about the GPS speedo but how about the tach, trim gauge and the fuel gauge?

Anyone opt for the Co-Captain Lounge? Is it as cool as it was at the boat show I ordered the boat at?

I know, a lot of questions but since winter seems destined to hang on forever up here in Central New York, I have to pass the time as I wait impatiently for the boats build to begin and then the delivery to happen. Ugh!

CZ

I feel my tach and fuel gauges are very accurate. I trim more by "seat of the pants" feel than by gauge

As far as seeing over passengers, a slight change in course solves the vision problem.

My opinion is all the hulls sit pretty level compared to the Express Package (which I have).

It makes the bow ride high, which is good or bad, depending on how you look at it.  I like the extra bouyancy up front where the passenger weight is, and I also like how quick it jumps up on plane without a lot of weight in the boat.  Turning performance is flat (not banked), but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure if someone takes the boat out, there are two trim speeds, fast up/down, and the slower moving when the motor gets near it's lowest position. My wife brought the boat back from the boat launch and drug the skeg in the sand as she trimmed it up to where the gauge showed it was up. She wasn't aware the gauge was for more fine tuning when down.

Other than that I never fully tested the fuel gauge, and the tach and gps speed always seemed accurate.

ChrisZ, I also went to the CNY.  I like the raised helm but primarily for the aesthetics of the look rather than the functionality, but I think I like the looks enough to add to an order if I had to.  I saw the co-captain lounge, it was not available in 2012 but if it were I would also have that as well because not only does it look sharp it was comfortable as hell!  I am just a good looking dumb guy so I am not smart about the gauge question but I have others say that no fuel gauge on any boat is exact, the one time I knew I was getting desperately low I just walked back and looked to see how much gas was in the tank

I should have said the fuel gauge is consistent. It is far from accurate, especially since my boat won't sit level with the Express tube. All the gas runs to the back of the tank where the fuel sender is, which makes it read full when it is not. But once you get used to it, it is very consistent. If you have a motor pod tank, you have been warned! It might read 1/4 tank when really only have two gallons in it.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the fact that he gauges appear to be reasonably accurate. It's a frustrating problem to deal with. From what I've seen in others boats the build quality is very high.

No elliptical owners? Since I didn't get a chance to take a ride on a boat equipped with these I'm very interested in handling characteristics. And, does the wave shield make a lot of difference. It's so difficult to take these purchase in the dead of winter.

CZ

My opinion of the Co-Captains Lounge is the same. I spent lots of time sitting in it, it's a great chair. As you can tell, I'm anxious for all of this to move along. Spring can happen any time at this point, I've had it with winter.

ChrisZ, I also went to the CNY. I like the raised helm but primarily for the aesthetics of the look rather than the functionality, but I think I like the looks enough to add to an order if I had to. I saw the co-captain lounge, it was not available in 2012 but if it were I would also have that as well because not only does it look sharp it was comfortable as hell! I am just a good looking dumb guy so I am not smart about the gauge question but I have others say that no fuel gauge on any boat is exact, the one time I knew I was getting desperately low I just walked back and looked to see how much gas was in the tank

Last edited by a moderator:
the wave shields make a big difference.  One of my toons doesn't have it and you can feel the water hitting the cross members.

I have the twin ellipticals on a 2012 GCW with a 150 and the waveshield.  I can't give much of a comparison because I haven't really been on anything different.  I think it does make for a smoother and less noisy ride, though.  I also have the elevated helm, which I'm glad I have.  As far as handling, I think it handles just fine. I have hydraulic steering, not power, and it's not an issue for me pulling all three kids on a three person tube and taking turns.  Maybe if I had power steering I would feel differently, but it does everything we need it to.  Our boat was at the dealers and we didn't order it.  I had read quite a bit here before purchasing and we got everything that we wanted for options.

CC,

Thanks for the input. Your base configuration is the same as mine and I was hoping to hear some real opinions about the elliptical pontoons. They review very well, but then again, so does everything else. I have no need to crank high speed turns, just some great extended cruising over no more than the occasional medium chop.

Did you get the lifting strikes on your ellipticals?

Also, do you find some decent bow rise? I equate bow rise with the ability to add freeboard in case you encounter a large head sea and don't want your feet washed.

Thanks for your comments.

I have the twin ellipticals on a 2012 GCW with a 150 and the waveshield.  I can't give much of a comparison because I haven't really been on anything different.  I think it does make for a smoother and less noisy ride, though.  I also have the elevated helm, which I'm glad I have.  As far as handling, I think it handles just fine. I have hydraulic steering, not power, and it's not an issue for me pulling all three kids on a three person tube and taking turns.  Maybe if I had power steering I would feel differently, but it does everything we need it to.  Our boat was at the dealers and we didn't order it.  I had read quite a bit here before purchasing and we got everything that we wanted for options.

Yes, I should have mentioned I do have the strakes.  I think the combo of the ellipticals and the strakes give a great ride.  There is bow rise when first starting out.  Once up on plane it plows through things pretty flawlessly.

I too have the 32" elip toons on a 2275 RCW.  Waveshield, sealed strakes, rough water package, and a 150 Optimax Pro XS.  Ride is great.   Are you gonna carve S turns.  No.  But it handles chop / rough water very well.  Its stable at rest when drift fishing.  No flex in the hull when crossing waves / wakes at a angle. Quiet and dry ride.  Again, its not made like a ESP for slalomn course racing.  LIttle bow rise but flattens out quickly as CC_PA stated.  Top end is fast. 

Good luck with your new rig

I also have the elliptical toons and I love them. On a test ride with the dealer there was a brisk wind and a pretty good chop. But it was the best ride I had ever had on a pontoon. SOLD ! I have never taken a wave over the bow and with 6 adults and three dogs it was still high and dry. Also top end is more than expected. I do not have the wave shield but wish I did.

David

Back