4th of July in DC on the Potomac

djplourd

Reaction score
Does anyone know how far up river I need to go so we can see the fireworks from the river?  I really want to see the fireworks form the water but I don't want a 2+ hour boat ride in the dark to get back to the dock.  I'm docked at Hoffmaster's in Occoquan/Woodbridge and this weekend it took us well over an hour to get past Mount Vernon and the bend in the river between Fort Hunt Park and Fort Washington Park.  From there we could see National Harbor and The GW Bridge.  I don't really want to go much further North than that.

Be careful boating on the Fourth of July. And I'm not talking about the fireworks.

You can see the fireworks from the Woodrow Wilson bridge but you're still relatively far way from the Mall area and in my opinion not worth it if that's as far north as you're going to go........one year back in the 90's we took our old bowrider and launched it at Gravelly Point just north of the airport. We anchored by the Memorial Bridge with hundreds of other boats for the fireworks. The fireworks as always were fantastic but the nightmare was when everybody tried to rush back to Gravelly point to take their boats out all at the same time. Worse than 95 at rush hour! We never did it again!!!

I don't envy you at all

I love DC especially Georgetown 

But it can be insane in the summer 

Here it is always up in the air if we will take the boat out on The Fourth due to insanity from Guests on The Lake 

Public Waterways 

OMG 

Pittsburgh's Three Rivers will be Insane on The Fourth 

94687663.jpg

I was really hoping not to have to go all the way up to the WW bridge  :( .  I'm guessing that's at least another 6 miles further North than I really want to go. Really it's that extra 6 miles on the return trip.

Back