7000+ lbs trailer for triple-tube 25QCWAAIO with 350hp DTS engine ?

New boat arrived yesterday.  2017 21 SLXP  pictures to follow.  Issue with trailer began with a single axle LoadRite with a weight capacity of 2380 lbs.  Problem being that my boat weighs 2600 lbs add F150 450 lbs and were at approx 3100 lbs.  It pays to know your boat and the specs of your trailer.  Dealer finally came around to my understanding that you cannot operate a trailer over its specs and capacity.   I now have a tandem trailer with a 4100 lbs capacity and brakes.   

Unfortunately this is all too common with dealers and pontoons, so all buyers need to be aware. Quite often they'll tell you "single axle is fine for what you're doing" and "doesn't require brakes". Pontoons are offering many more features, so they are becoming much heavier, factoring in fuel, gear, coolers, etc it adds up fast.

It's great you were able to work it out with them, though I'm sure it took some work. Enjoy the new boat (and trailer)!

TomS

Funny question they continued to ask me,  How far are you planning to drive the boat ?.  like that matters if your in an accident or much worse.  

After I pulled that specs from the Bennington catalog and the load rite trailer web site, they bit and ate the $1500.00 difference.  Goes without saying the operator needs to be more responsible then the passengers or Dealer in this case.

TomS

Funny question they continued to ask me,  How far are you planning to drive the boat ?.  like that matters if your in an accident or much worse.  

After I pulled that specs from the Bennington catalog and the load rite trailer web site, they bit and ate the $1500.00 difference.  Goes without saying the operator needs to be more responsible then the passengers or Dealer in this case.

Maybe a bit anecdotal, but it seems most people who have weighed their boat/trailers on a CAT scale or similar at a truck stop found the boat weighed quite a bit more than the spec on the website. They explained this is because they can't actually weigh every model. They get a baseline weight for the first in a series, very basic layout and equipment, then the many floor plans continue to add weight without an update to the spec for every combination. There are just too many permutations to manage.

I weighed ours and used that information to decide to go up from 5000 to a 6000 lb lift. Even though you can estimate fluids, gear and such fairly closely, I was still surprised how much more it weighed than my estimate.

Funny question they continued to ask me,  How far are you planning to drive the boat ?. 

The old joke.  I read the statistic that most accidents happen within 5 miles of your house.  So I moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back