A poll to support Rob's question - What outboard?

What outboard are you running?

• Mercury

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • other

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • n/a (have an I/O)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

goldnrod24

Reaction score
Vote now!

Voted.

if i have to repower anytime, i think ive decided to go with the evinrude etec!

Yamaha outboards seem to be dominant around our area. Love my 250hp SHO. I imagine they are all pretty good.

I've noticed that Yamaha is the most common FOUR-stroke around here, while the two-strokes are so far and few between that it's hard to say who sells the most.

In a way it's a shame, 'cause these modern 2-strokes are a whole breed apart from what was available even a decade ago.

I'm really interested in your opinion of the 250 SHO.
I know you asked him and not me, but there are a LOT of 200, 225 & 250hp Yams here at Buckeye lake. There are ever starting to be quite a few 350hp Yams.

I've piloted all of those at one time or another, except the 350; which I've only had a ride in. (In a Q)

They are all every bit as quiet as they are reputed to be; as well as being just as smooth running and easy starting as a 4-stroke SHOULD be.

If you have a sensitive ear, you can tell the difference between a 200 and a 250 the same way you can tell the difference between two motorcycle engines of similar design but different displacement and power levels. If the comparison is between a 200 & 225, or a 225 & 250, then good luck telling them apart by sound.

The 350 sounds like a well muffled 454 chevy vs a well muffled 350 chevy. More "presence" but very little extra noise.

As for power, or perhaps better said; performance...

Well, you know better than I do how dependent that is on circumstances.

Still, the Marina owner's son took me for a ride on the first 350hp ESP equipped Q that they received from Bennington and demonstrated an ability to run literal and actual circles around the kids on jet-skis ANY time he wanted to.

Both, really...

Your question does remind me that this is a fairly subjective thing and I shouldn't minimize that fact.

The high output 250 is fairly popular on triple 'toon around here, ESP or not; and it sounds pleasantly quiet to me. Ultimately though, it may have tonal qualities (Like the drone you mentioned) that may be subjectively different for you.

The only thing I can say with a certainty is that Yamaha has clearly made an effort to make their engines quiet; especially in the last few years when two-strokes got so good.

I'm really interested in your opinion of the 250 SHO. I haven't had the opportunity to hear one run in person (just videos) and wonder if it is as quiet as the std. Yamaha 4 stroke 225 and 250 for pontoon use? I've also been considering putting an SHO on a tunnel boat. Just have to wait for one of the hi-perf shops to start working with the SHO's to get a couple thousand more rpm's up top and then I think I'd have something special. I used to race a Yamaha outboard 10+ years ago before I made the change to Mercury, but I'm still a Yamaha guy at heart. Love my Suzukis too.
Wolverine,

I am very impressed with the quietness of the 250 SHO. While I don't have a lot of experience with outboards since I have come from 3 straight Malibu ski boat inboards, I do remember how loud the old 2 strokes were and that would not have been acceptable. I was able to compare it to a yamaha 150 4s and it seems at least as quiet. With our Bennington RCW with the two super lounges so close to the engine, I am delighted to say that you can sit back there and carry on a conversation. It also helps that I can cruise at a lower RPM range due to the size. The rich black metalflake color is gorgeous too. If you havn't figured already, I love this engine.

Hey, maybe it's the Tim Allen in me, but why the 250 instead of the 350?

Is it a size/weight consideration? I know 300 pounds is no trivial thing in many applications. So does my office chair, but that's another story. ;)

As for size/weight, I chose the largest, lightest engine the RCW 2275 could handle and that is the Yamaha 250hp SHO. No noticeable drone that I recall but it has been a week since I fired her up. If I do notice a drone, I will have you guys to thank for putting that in my head (Lil). The next boat series up can handle the larger engine if optioned correctly. Many pontoon owners may find these larger engines overkill but it's all about personal choice.

Many pontoon owners may find these larger engines overkill but it's all about personal choice.
More HP = overkill?

You blaspheme sir! :angry:

Pray to Gods of Horsepower and perhaps Smokey Yunik will have pity on your soul!! ;)

My apologies sir. There is no such thing as too much hp. Not sure what I what thinking.

My apologies sir. There is no such thing as too much hp. Not sure what I what thinking.
Smokie forgives you my son. Read a Summit Racing catalogue and watch two NHRA Top Fuel races. :D

Back