About to purchase a new 2250 GBR, any suggestions ?

Rickherman

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first boat , a Bennington 2250Gbr. Should I do the 200hp or 250hp? Any other suggestions would be great. I Plan on doing a full Seagrass floor, is it worth it?

I just purchased the 2250 GSR with a 150....

Fully loaded with 4 adults it can hold 37ish MPH...

I am very happy with the setup as I am on a small lake, that said I never hear anyone say that they have to much HP..

Welcome to the forum and go big or go home.   :D

I am about to buy my first boat , a Bennington 2250Gbr. Should I do the 200hp or 250hp? Any other suggestions would be great. I Plan on doing a full Seagrass floor, is it worth it?
What is the price difference between the 200 and the 250? Heard the seagrass flooring is slippery when wet. But it looks very nice!

What toon configuration are you doing? I had a 2275RCW with a 200SHO and it would do just over 42 fully loaded (56g fuel) 2 people on board. Oh, with ESP. My new 2275RCW with tower is only hitting 44.5, but I have more weight with the tower and stereo than some. Some without the tower and stuff we're hitting 49. Biggest thing I was impressed with the 250 was we were fully loaded, 9 on board and still hit a little over 39 (on the tower model). Do we run it at 44mph all the time? Heck no, but it sure is nice to surprise the people on board and the people watching this big pontoon boat clipping along!! Haha and yes you can pull a skier. Man I laugh at how often people ask that when you tell them you have a pontoon boat!

If budget allows, go 250. Check out how many posts people wishing they had gone bigger and now are swapping motors or even going to newer models with bigger motors.

Ditto on what Carl said !!!!

I am doing a 2250 GBR tritoon with ESP. I figure the two captain chairs in the back can double as fishing chairs somewhat and with a little kid the counter tops will come in handy. I have never owned a boat so this forum has been helpful with some ideas. What kind of fuel mileage should I expect with the 250hp? I am in the northeast so the boating season is short, but have always wanted a boat. What's the skinny on resale on the benningtons? Do they hold any value ?

What's the skinny on resale on the benningtons? Do they hold any value ?

I am still waiting for my house to sell to buy my first boat but from my shopping experience I can tell you there ARE no late model pontoons on the used market ANYWHERE.  They last a DAY, if that and I'm sure they get top dollar.  I bet, just like with some cars, you can buy a NEW one cheaper than a 1 to 3 year old used one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say, researching used Benningtons, if and when they show up, seem to hold their value pretty good. Bear in mind, like a Harley or John Deere, they ain't exactly the "cheapest" thing out there, but you are getting a quality product with a strong resale value. Andy (lakeliving) can probably comment on resale potential, as he just sold his model he got in the spring.

I would make sure and get the in floor storage and the Leds (bimini top under deck underwater cup holders) everyone is adding them on after anyway. I would put linoleum on the back if you live anywhere you will be getting in the sand. I wish I would have got the elevated helm. and  Put our 2nd live well in the front left seat.No question go with the F250 4-stroke. I am so glad that we got a solid colored boat and seats I look at photos of seats with the color accent and I think man that is ugly just my thinking..The full cabin is Awesome so glad we use it more that we ever thought.and then everything else I have on mine, thats if I did not have a $$$$ amount. As far as re-sale we looked all over for a used one there were a few out there but most had 90 hp and less and were 2 toons, and they still wanted a bucket of money. I would not been able to upgrade much buying used either but instead of 2 years of warranty left I have a full 7 years. 

In regards to the seagrass it is not slippery but it does get very hot in the sun. We have a full vinyl floor with snap out carpet and seagrass in the back. We wet the seagrass to cool it down when going on and off the boat. ie: when swimming.

Heck, in the mid summer sun, our CARPET gets almost too hot to walk on. Other than the footprints on the vinyl I kind of wish we had an all vinyl floor. We are very particular about our carpet (shoes come off at door), but it still looks new. I LOVE our elevated helm. The one thing I really wish we had was the extended rear deck. If and when we get another Benny, it MUST have the extended deck and elevated helm.

So if you guys your choice of any flooring what would you do? I was going to do full seagrass but now I am a bit skeptical. I thought that would have been a solid choice for the whole floor. I really appreciate all your input guys, extremely helpful and am very grateful for this forum.

We've had the full Seagrass all summer in Indiana and we love it. It's never been too hot for us. The coffee table and the bow seat slide a little bit. Other than that no problems. We've just hosed it off with a washdown pump when anything gets on it.

I just bought the 2250 GBR a week ago. Mine is not the tritoon version but it does have the strakes. I have the Yamaha F150 hp motor which is largest for this pontoon model. I love it! Plenty of speed for me.

After seeing and walking on it and the stain hiding look of it Seagrams is what I would get. From pics I saw I did not like it. Then I saw it at the dealer on a couple boats and loved it. Originally I wanted full vinyl till I saw how footprints showed so easily and thought I'd be scrubbing it all the time. Ended up with carpet (leftover model) but next one will be Seagrass with possible Teak rear.

Also, they have the new woven teak look for 2014, which is a Seagrass material from the same manufacturer, made to look like teak planks. Pretty nice stuff.

I have full aquateak... full vinyl floor. (Pics in my gallery). Not a floor option available at the time I bought it that I wish I would have purchased. Kids, sand, mud, smashed potato chips, squashed bugs, spilled wine, beer, pretty much anything you can think of. Grab the hose or even a water gun and wash it out the front or back. Good as new. I also have a clopasable broom to sweep out the dry stuff.

As for the heat debate... I have not had an issue.

Back