Adding an Express Tube to my 22 SSX

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Express Tube package for my 22 SSX. I've been reading through all the other posts and it sounds like a worthy investment since I'll frequently be using my boat in very rough, remote waters where I might be miles from a place to beach and seek shelter from the waves. I plan to install it myself and will post photos here as I do. I have two questions I still haven't figured out though. First, I don't plan on upgrading my motor (I have a Yamaha 90), at least not right away. I'm thinking the extra tube will still be great at that HP though, right? And maybe not have as much bow lift with the lighter engine? The extra lift doesn't bother me, but a more level boat means a more level grill! :) Second, I assume that I'll need to modify my trailer a bit so the middle tube doesn't hit the front bunk holder. They all line up, right? This is what the front of my trailer looks like now. I was thinking I could just add a little wood behind those two bunks and call it good. Thoughts? Anything else I need to consider? I'm probably going to place the order with my dealer this afternoon. 

IMG_0564.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Express Tube package for my 22 SSX. I've been reading through all the other posts and it sounds like a worthy investment since I'll frequently be using my boat in very rough, remote waters where I might be miles from a place to beach and seek shelter from the waves. I plan to install it myself and will post photos here as I do. I have two questions I still haven't figured out though. First, I don't plan on upgrading my motor (I have a Yamaha 90), at least not right away. I'm thinking the extra tube will still be great at that HP though, right? And maybe not have as much bow lift with the lighter engine? The extra lift doesn't bother me, but a more level boat means a more level grill! :) Second, I assume that I'll need to modify my trailer a bit so the middle tube doesn't hit the front bunk holder. They all line up, right? This is what the front of my trailer looks like now. I was thinking I could just add a little wood behind those two bunks and call it good. Thoughts? Anything else I need to consider? I'm probably going to place the order with my dealer this afternoon. 

IMG_0564.jpg
It is very important for you to make perfectly clear what you are expecting to receive. Your S series boat is built on 24" crossmembers. BE SURE the order is placed for the tube with risers spaced at 24". Yes, I know they have your HIN, but they had mine, too and the wrong tube was shipped. Also, there a 2 types of wave shields. A regular and a deluxe. The regular kit is called a wave tamer, I believe and it doesn't enclose the entire underside. Again, know what you want and communicate that to your dealer.

I know I am restating the obvious, but something wrong happened on my order and I'm still still sorting it out. This retrofitted Express Tube kit appears to be something just new enough or uncommon enough for BM that you can't ASSume anything.

Yes, the good folks at BM are working to make it right, but save yourself a ton of grief and be sure to confirm, confirm, confirm.

PM me if you have any questions.

PS: Yes, the eyelets in the front of the tubes all line up.

I will do my best to confirm everything. Unfortunately, my dealer so far has not been so good with details, so I'll just have to do my best with them. Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to the deluxe wave shield? Does anyone know how much longer the deluxe is vs. the 'tamer'?

I can almost guarantee your grill will be more crooked after you install the Express.  It really rides "bow high".

But given you made the bracket setup, I'm sure you can modify it so it tilts forward some to make it level on the water.

By the way, I think adding wood blocks to your stops would work...  You might check and see if the bunks under the pontoons are adjustible (probably not). 

Another thought is to flip your front bunk stop around 180 degrees (so flip it upside down, then put it back on).  Looks from the photo you would gain a couple inches there...  Then add some square steel tubing under your ladder stand where it connects to the tongue of your trailer.  You'd have to get longer "U" bolts, but you can probably find those somewhere.  Between the two adjustments, you might gain enough clearance.

That is, unless your ladder handle is welded to the bunk stop!

You might have to get a bunk stop with room for a center toon.  Guessing your wood block idea would work though, depending how thick you have to make it.  Maybe a pressure treated 4x4 would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
have you read about the other guy that's doing this?
Yep. goldnrod24's thread inspired me to do the same and document the install as well. :)

I can almost guarantee your grill will be more crooked after you install the Express.  It really rides "bow high".

But given you made the bracket setup, I'm sure you can modify it so it tilts forward some to make it level on the water.
That's good to be thinking of. It shouldn't be too hard to slip in some spacers on the right bracket and level it out. Hell, I probably should have done it anyway, this will just force me into it. 

My ladder handle is welded. I think it's either going to be adding depth to the bunks somehow or a new part. 

I went ahead and placed the order today. Dealer says I should have the new tube and shields by the first or second week of May. I'll be back to post lots of pictures of the install when it starts happening and I will also get some detailed stats for measuring performance improvement. 

There are a lot of people here interested in the before and after data you guys get after adding your express tubes.

After weeks of no answers, I finally heard back from my dealer today that I can't get my express tube package this year unless I want to pay nearly $2k in shipping for them to take a detour to Utah on another shipment heading west. They had an order coming that they thought it could ship with but apparently there wasn't anywhere to put it on the truck. No tri-toon for me. Bummer.  :(

That's a bummer, hard to believe that a dealer isn't taking any more deliveries in mid May

Pontoons haven't really caught on out here like they have in other parts of the country. The order he did have was a split load with 2 boats for him and 2 boats heading to California I think. For how much they seem to deal with Bennington, I'm actually surprised they had that many coming this year. 

Argh, since we have almost the same identical boat I was highly interested in following this thread through as I have mulled around the same decision numerous times for our boat. When and if you pull the trigger please update us with all the details and lots of pictures. If it works out well I may use your thread as a install manual for ours.  :)

I definitely will. If by some miracle they sell enough boats to do another order this year, I'll probably do it. Otherwise I'll probably just wait and get a new boat in a few years and get the third tube and a bigger motor. We'll see. I'm really bummed they couldn't pull it off.  

Bcpnick -They are testing you for PADS...

Another less expensive option would to put a set of lifting strakes on your twin tubes.  Getting your two nosecones out of the water would gain the speed and efficiency you're wanting--if carrying heavy loads is not your goal.  The 2 toon boats don't corner as well as three toons, but many people are just wanting more mph and mpg when running in a straight line.  The strakes would do that for you.

I definitely will. If by some miracle they sell enough boats to do another order this year, I'll probably do it. Otherwise I'll probably just wait and get a new boat in a few years and get the third tube and a bigger motor. We'll see. I'm really bummed they couldn't pull it off.  
That was what I decided after hearing the trials/tribulations others went through with ordering and installing etc. Not too mention the cost of the new motor vs the trade in cost of my existing one. I really don't need it however as I do 98% fishing and cruising more than anything.

Another less expensive option would to put a set of lifting strakes on your twin tubes.  Getting your two nosecones out of the water would gain the speed and efficiency you're wanting--if carrying heavy loads is not your goal.  The 2 toon boats don't corner as well as three toons, but many people are just wanting more mph and mpg when running in a straight line.  The strakes would do that for you.
Since most of my usage is for 5+ day camping trips, carrying heavy loads is high on my list. But perhaps I'll look into that. Worst case, if I did end up getting the express tube, I'd be happy to also have full strakes. I'm not nearly as concerned about tight turns as I am about getting high on the water. Is the idea with adding strakes that you buy them from Bennington and just find a local aluminum welder to put them on for you? I'm not sure my dealer really even knows what a pontoon is, much less a lifting strake, so there's no point in asking him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back