Adding Express Package

McZiggy

Reaction score
I'm picking up my brand new 2014 21SLX hopefully next week and have had tons of time to research a ton of different options. I'm having a F115B installed on the back of the boat which has to performance upgrades at all at the movement. All the research I've done has lead me to believe that adding the express package would gain me somewhere in the range of 5-7 mph plus added buoyancy, handing characteristics, and fuel economy. I can have the Express toon with lifting strakes added for $3,000 right at the dealership. The strakes would only be on the express toon and not on the other two 25" toons. Do those with experience in pontoons have any input on whether it would be worth the money, and if my expectations would be reasonable? I've grown up on v hull boats and have never been in or ridden in a pontoon.

Thanks for reading the essay typed on the iPad. Sorry for any errors :).

Chris

Totally worth the money, but I would put it on myself and save a grand. It's just a bolt on job. I would have one right now if they had been able to fit it on my dealers boat load. Probably won't happen now, unfortunately. 

About $750 for the dealer to install it. Worth it IMO. I can't imagine that toon being very easy to install. Also, would hate to screw up the excellent factory warranty.

I've got the Express Tube on my 24SSLX with a F150.  As long as the lifting strakes on the Express Tube gets all three nosecones out of the water, you're then running fast and efficient.  I think 7 mph would be conservative in speed increase.  I'm good for 40-41 mph with a Reliance 15 pitch prop.

As far as I can tell, the Express Tube runs about the same speed as the newer SPS hull.  The E/T will sit a little deeper on the rear end when at a dock and not running--the downside.  But it's no big deal.

The plus is that the Express Tube is relatively easily installed since no electrics, fuel tanks or the engine is touched.  Adding a full center tube after the fact would be cost prohibitive for all practical purposes.

A little surprised by the increase in speed numbers the two of you have posted but that is good news.  Would like to hear from others concerning the increased loft in the bow and how it effects driving and how it looks

Express Pack ordered with the center tube lifting strakes and wave shield.  12 weeks to get it in, so most likely a late September install.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it out on the water a couple times after it's installed! Dang Wisconsin weather!

Mcziggy, be sure to get some good speed numbers for a before and after comparison.  Please include the numbers with different total weight on board notes.  Thanks 

Mcziggy, be sure to get some good speed numbers for a before and after comparison.  Please include the numbers with different total weight on board notes.  Thanks 
Will do!

Looking forward to seeing your numbers. Sounds like a great setup!

Back