Aluminum restoration

MrG

Reaction score
Well, I've the years the front rub rail of my 2575QCW has gotten a few scratches from bringing the Anchor in and out. Also the Trim ring of the Center Toon Storage has similar scratches. 

First step was to remove the Rub Rail and then the Anodized Aluminum rail. 
5675FB2B-0C65-4250-AE47-8D3FD02E37D6_zpsjzrquf1n.jpg

Then 220 grit and finish with 320 grit. 
37AAECEA-AE15-4531-AB66-8DA27383EF6A_zpstqneaviz.jpg

the light spots your seeing at the Orignal Anodized finish. No need to completely strip the original finish, when the rail will be re Anodized it will completely strip the Orignal finish and a new Fresh coating of Anodized clear will be applied.

Once the rail is re Anodized I'm gonna have a Clear Film  the same stuff you put on the hood of your car , applied to the rail to protect it for any future damage. Only the center portion of the rail needs protection

Nice job and thanks for the pictures! Please keep us updated with "after" photos.

Impressive work.  As someone with NO skills in these areas, I am always amazed at the work people can do.  Looking forward to pictures of it when its all done.

This is a close up of the Center Toon storage trim.

8126DB0B-3C97-4D65-BC91-6C7A9440EF35_zps8anwfng8.jpg

This dammaged piece bugged me the most just because I would have to  see it everyday on the boat. I'm happy to check this off my todo list
3515BFC4-98BB-4A8C-9000-3858B4130E98_zpsbihgozzj.jpg

Now that I'm all done with refinish all the pieces that had scratches I'm off the the Anodizer

AF302D91-EEB0-4D5E-9F00-C28846C87379_zpsz3fzs3sb.jpg

Cost to have it reanodized?!? Curious.

Very well done MrG

Nice work. Sounds like a great deal to look like new. 

They have tanks that can accommodate 50 foot parts they say they have the largest anodizing tanks this side of the Mississippi

Too bad they are not a larger in width so you could color your toons.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Very interesting!

Once the rail is re Anodized I'm gonna have a Clear Film  the same stuff you put on the hood of your car , applied to the rail to protect it for any future damage. Only the center portion of the rail needs protection

Instead of the 3M film, why don't you clear powdercoat?

Back