Americas Cup

StevL

Reaction score
Congrats to Team USA! What a come back, after being down 8 to 1 (first to 9 wins) Team USA wins 10 straight (two races didn't count for rules violations), USA retains the cup winning the series 9 to 8.

Americas Cup

Steve

Was quite the comeback, good for the sport

Yes that was an amazing comeback! Quick America's Cup story............I was in my last year of college in Rhode Island in 1983 when the U.S. lost the Cup for the first time ever to the Aussies. Remember that was when they had the controversial "winged keel" on their boat which made the boat so much faster than ours.  The boats back then were so much smaller than they are now.............We were all in Newport for a soccer game at another school when word broke that we had lost the Cup. The Americans took it hard...............the first time they had lost in 120 something years............

I don't think most people know how big this years catamarans were (86' length, 46' beam, 131' mast) .   My catamaran is 14' long with a 20' mast and I think it's fun.   I can't even imagine going that fast.  Wish I could get a ride on one but I'm not a billionaire.  

I'm thinking that keeping with the "Cat" style boat, like pontoons, I think Team Bennington should be on the sail in 2016... Hummm ?? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How about foils we could extend into the water.  70 mph with the 8.2L

Back