Anchor - Opinions

LakeRat1

Reaction score
Osage Beach Missouri - Lake of the Ozarks
I have purchased the 2575 RCW - Now it is time for an anchor ---- I have found forums to be the best place to get opinions, so here comes my questions:

Keep in mind I do my boating and anchoring at Lake of the Ozarks

What type of anchor - Size / Model would you recommend

What about electric motors, what would could I hang off the end

I would like opinions, for both electric and throw type.... I want something that will hold......

On my old boat I had a windless anchor and it held very well.....it was a 9000lb small 28' cruiser,

Your opinions are greatly appreciated

Thank You

Rich

I have a 24 SSL w/150 Yamaha for total weight of about 3,000 lbs and I use the Fortress FX-11. It's the best anchor I've found. It's lightweight (only 7 lbs), and sticks unlike anything else I've used. Man, does this thing stick. I've had to it power off the bottom a couple of times, but once it's free it's very easy to haul in. I was going to go with a Trac Power Winch before I got the Fortress, but don't feel that I need it anymore.

The anchor's a bit pricey, but I believe in "cry once and get it right" rather than "cry often and regret not doing it right the first time".

Interesting story: took my brother-in-law out fishing at Boca Grande Pass. Deep water (45' or so) and raging current from the tide (about 5 mph). Dropped the anchor (Fortress FX-11) and set it and started fishing. Nothing biting, so decide to move on. I ask him to bring in the anchor (it's tied off to the port cleat on the bow). He unties it from the cleat BEFORE I get a chance to maneuver the boat over the top of the anchor to bring it in (he didn't bother to tell me that)! Suddenly he yells to me "Jim, I need help getting the anchor in!" I look over and the rope is slipping through his hands as if he's hooked on a marlin. Long story short, there's an FX-11 at the bottom of Boca Grande Pass.

I bought another FX-11.

Also I always bring in the anchor myself now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for the link for box anchors. I bought 2 after reading the posts. I love them.

LakeRat1

You'll quickly learn that "Box" anchors are very popular on this forum. I've had the "Digger" (http://www.diggeranchor.com/) 15 lb. freshwater anchor for 5 years now and I've been very happy with it. I use it in the bow and use a regular fluke anchor in the rear to prevent the boat from "swinging"................

Check out this thread of my review/experiance with this type of anchor.

IMO if you only anchor at one specific lake and the lake bottom is pretty consistant there are anchors that are very effectieve and local wisdome on what works is key. Example The Fortres "Fluke style" that Tcpip95 posted works great on soft bottoms and bottoms that have things to snag on like logs and large rocks ect.( I used to have one) But I have found the Fluke Style anchors are very hard to set on hard smooth bottom lakes. Example Lake Shasta here in California its almost impossable to set a Fluke on the steep smooth hard dirt. if the bottom is muddy you can get away with a small mushroom style anchor that's sinks into the mud.

so long story Longer. if you know the bottom your going to be anchoring on all the time your can pick a specific style that will work great. I have found that the Box Style Anchors work in pretty much all conditions. The Grapple Anchor also works great.

tcpip95

I'm hearing a lot about box anchors, could someone post a picture of one. I have a fluke that works well, but is there something better?

Thanks,

Royo

http://www.slideanch...41-c5e749bb8688

A big difference is they work with a 2-1 angle. When you anchor in 50" water it makes a huge difference. We throw a box out the front and the small box out the back if we are rafting up or in a cove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, looks great, I think I will order one before time to put our boat back in the water..........Not as long as it has been.

Royo

The "Small" anchor is plenty big for our 25' toon. We use the baby anchor most of the time as the main anchor. We usually are not anchored in big winds or really rough water. If it is that bad we go back to the house. We did use the "small" riding out a thunderstorm and it held in the winds. Overton's will price match the slideanchors web site pricing and give free shipping. It saves a few dollars.

Lakerat... go to Lowe's and buy a 5/16ths stainless quick-link and put it between the rod and anchor and it will allow the rod to fold flat. It does not affect the anchor's operation but makes it easier to store. Steve

Back