Another Sharkhide discussion......disappointed.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
At the end of last season I removed the old Sharkhide w/lacquer thinner and had my toons acid washed. While on the trailer I applied 3 coats of Sharkhide to the outer toons and strakes, all 3 nose cones, the rear of the outer toons to include the bracket holding the depth finder transducer and brackets holding the ladder, and of course the motor pod around where the outdrive is. This is the first time keeping the boat in the water in a slip. Yesterday while out we noticed discoloration/oxidation on and below the waterline in a few spots. Towards the rear of the outside of both outer toons, the rear of both outside toons (the center motor pod is fine) and below the waterline of the nose ones..........can't figure out why this is happening. I am disappointed.......

I know what you're thinking.......I must have missed those areas. That was the reasoning behind applying 3 coats. How can you miss the same area 3 times. Especially the water line!

Anyway, pictures to follow. We got in too late to take some last night and it's hard to take them below the water line in the slip.....

Did you clean them again after the acid wash? With thinner?

Yes I cleaned them again with lacquer thinner the day before applying the Sharkhide. I even waited between coats before applying the next one......there's no way I missed the areas that discolored.....

I wasn't thinking you missed, was just thinking maybe some of the chemical from the acid wash hadn't been completely removed. I wonder if there are any acid treatments that sharkhide doesn't get along nicely with? Shouldn't actually matter, but just a thought.

Sorry to hear Big Kahuna, Cant imagine what caused it, I have been satisfied with Sharkhide

Link......any discoloration at all anywhere?!?

Going out tomorrow. I'll get some pics.....

No discoloration, I will be anxious to see your pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KLM
I have some discoloration in spots. Almost black. I figured it was the fenders rubbing off the Sharkhide....

Back