Anyone ever use Toon brite clear coat?

Straydog

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just ordered a 2275rcw and I wanted to protect the toons from getting watermarks. Anyone ever tried the Toon Brite clear coat? I wonder if it is really worth the effort.

Straydog, first, congrats on the new pontoon, you'll love it! Next, welcome to the forum, lots of good info on here, you'll love it as well!

Now, to your question, i have not tried the toonbrite products, perhaps others on here have and can chime in. I used sharkhide on our toons before they ever got wet, and after 1 summer of use, they still look great, and cleaning them is a breeze. That's my 2 cents, we'll see what others have to say :D

Straydog, first, congrats on the new pontoon, you'll love it! Next, welcome to the forum, lots of good info on here, you'll love it as well!

Now, to your question, i have not tried the toonbrite products, perhaps others on here have and can chime in. I used sharkhide on our toons before they ever got wet, and after 1 summer of use, they still look great, and cleaning them is a breeze. That's my 2 cents, we'll see what others have to say :D
Thanks for the info!

Straydog - Congratulations on your Bennington! I used "Toon-Brite" when I first purchased my Bennington in August 2010. Probably ought to call it "Toon-Clean" instead of "Brite". I bought the two part kit (cleaner and polisher). The cleaner worked as claimed with just applying and spray washing off but it was just clean, not brite. For that, one is supposed to use the polisher which after about 15 minutes I realized was going to be a big pain!

In truth, I should mention that I only wash my truck once or twice a year, so I am not the type who is going to put any amount of work into getting mirror-like, blinding brillance on pontoons.

By searching this and other pontoon website, I think you will find a lot of people use "sharkhide" like Geoffery & Brenda" and are very happy with the results.

For myself, I am happy with just keeping the Bennington clean in general and am a big fan of "LA Awesome" cleaner for the pontoons and side panels and use "303 Cleaner and Protect" for the furniture and canvas.

Anyway, hope you get your boat soon and good luck.

Straydog - Congratulations on your Bennington! I used "Toon-Brite" when I first purchased my Bennington in August 2010. Probably ought to call it "Toon-Clean" instead of "Brite". I bought the two part kit (cleaner and polisher). The cleaner worked as claimed with just applying and spray washing off but it was just clean, not brite. For that, one is supposed to use the polisher which after about 15 minutes I realized was going to be a big pain!

In truth, I should mention that I only wash my truck once or twice a year, so I am not the type who is going to put any amount of work into getting mirror-like, blinding brillance on pontoons.

By searching this and other pontoon website, I think you will find a lot of people use "sharkhide" like Geoffery & Brenda" and are very happy with the results.

For myself, I am happy with just keeping the Bennington clean in general and am a big fan of "LA Awesome" cleaner for the pontoons and side panels and use "303 Cleaner and Protect" for the furniture and canvas.

Anyway, hope you get your boat soon and good luck.
Thanks for the reply Friar.

I was actually referring to the clear coat they make. From what I can tell it is a lot like shark hide.

Thanks for the reply Friar.

I was actually referring to the clear coat they make. From what I can tell it is a lot like shark hide.
Straydog,- congrats on your new Bennington.  My wife and I took possession on our SLX on the 31st of July.  We had the shark hide treatment on the pontoons, but not sure what to clean them with when we pull the boat.  We have cleaned the pontoons at anchor at the beach using a soft brush and rag.  We are very happy with our investment and excited to be part of Club Bennington.

redsky  :)

I used sharkhide before my boat ever touched the water in 2012. Took it out at end of season and power washed it then used strong acid wash. Looked great, then in start of 2013 I applied sharkhide and into the water it went. Will do the same next weekend :(

My boat was tarnished 5 weeks after being built, and I polished it.  Tried to apply Sharkhide, but ended up with a bunch of black smudges from the leftover aluminum oxide.  Tried to remove the black with lacquer cleaner, but still had smudges.  I'm not willing to spend 2 days cleaning with hard elbow grease and a bunch of rags.

Finally realized it's easiest just to put the boat on the trailer, bring it home and polish it May of every year.  Fortunately, it's kept hanging in a boathouse all year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toon Brite is AMAZING. looks like glass when completed. make sure and use a sprayer vs a squeeze/ windex type sprayer. I got mine from ebay, and then found out the Bennington store had it a lot cheaper. Will take before and after pics and post next time. Im gonna use the clear coat stuff this year

To SFC J, (and to anyone else who wants to comment),

How does one go about getting onto the website for the Bennington Store to purchase the Toon Brite?  The Bennington Store on the Bennington Marine website (see website address below) only seems to have clothing.

http://costore.com/bennington/welcome.asp

Further, what is the "clear coat stuff" you refer to?

To Geoffrey & Brenda, (and to anyone else who wants to comment),

You mentioned you have SHARKHIDE.  I will be taking delivery of my future 2014 Bennington 2375 GCW some time in mid April of next year.  I have also ordered the Sharkhide to be applied at the factory.   Does one just clean the toons with soap and water?  (Since I cannot climb up into the dry dock storage to wash and clean the toons, will I have to clean them while the boat is on the forklift?  Do most marinas have hose water immediately available when the boat is pulled out of the water for dry docking to allow you to quickly hose down or even to wash the toons?  (I realize this question will be better posed to the marina manager who runs the dry dock, but I just now thought of this question as I was writing this blog.  I will contact them about this question later.)   What products are good to used that will not harm the factory application of the SHARKHIDE?   And how frequently should I reapply the SHARKHIDE?

To Friar, (and anyone else),

Will "LA Awesome" Cleaner harm the SHARKHIDE application?

To Redsky, (and anyone else),

What did you finally decide to clean your toons with that would not harm the SHARKHIDE?

To Link, (and anyone else who wants to comment), 

Doesn't the "strong acid wash" you refer to harm the SHARKHIDE, and how often must I reapply the SHARKHIDE?

David

Eagle1, I believe that the sharkhide can last for 3 years.  Since I don't clean my toons throughout the summer I go all out when I pill the boat in the fall and then reapply the sharkhide every year

Link is right........Sharkhide lasted about 3 seasons on my boat.........But you can reapply Sharkhide over the existing and it will "meld" into it to protect it further........But next season I am going to have my toons acid washed which will remove the existing Sharkhide. Then I guess I'll reapply it. Haven't decided yet..........CWAG911 says that the main guy to talk to at Sharkhide that will answer any of your questions is Clint Bland. His # is (618) 624-4091.............http://www.sharkhide.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
"Life is too short for shiny 'toons."

:)  New boat name Goldnrod?

Back