Audio Warning System

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
When we picked up our new-to-us used 2007 2575 I/O last November, the audio warning system worked correctly. In fact it warned us of low oil in the sterndrive.

However, since then, I have been cleaning out huge numbers of mud dauber clay nests from every nook and cranny, and I think I accidentally pulled the warning system wire out from underneath the dash. There is a picture of it attached.

I cannot figure out where it goes, despite spending quite a bit of time on my back with a flashlight looking for an obvious connection.

20180219_112432.jpg

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I can see where it comes out of the floor, most likely from the engine compartment, but cannot see where it must attach somewhere on the wiring harness. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what a purple wire represents but I’d think that end may be headed to the power source.

Is the wire broken?

No, its not broken. It's cut and has been stripped. Looks like it was intended to be crimped into a connector... maybe was inserted but not crimped?

It may have been piggy backed with another wire in a crimp connector. Look at the connectors to other dash switches and see if you can see a gap where this might have been.

If that's a buzzer, that wire may go to power or ground.

Did it do a test beep every time you start the motor? If yes, you could temporarily tie it to ground and see if it works by turning your key on. If not, then try 12v and turn the key on. When you find out which makes it work, then just find a new place to connect it under the dash.

It test beeped whwh I test drove the boat in November . But since then I was under the dash and suspect I pulled it out. It doesn't beep anymore

Perfect. Hook that loose end to ground, then see if it test beeps. If it doesn't, try 12V. I'm guessing one or the other will make it work. Then just hook it up to ground or 12V permanently, and you're good.

The loose end is either power, ground, or signal. If power or ground, kaydayno's solution above should work (if power, still need to connect to 'ignition on' power and not just an 'accessory on' power).

If the above power or ground makes it beep constant, the loose end is the signal wire and you will need to confirm where it came from which, if possible, is the best anyway if you can find out somewhat easily.

Thanks guys. I'll try ii this weekend

GNC is technically correct. But I assumed since it was a short lead that broke and everything was under the helm that the end that broke didn't connect to the motor (way too short). I assume the end that did NOT break off went to the motor. Let us know how it goes. Should be fixable.

The end in the picture did not come from the engine... I traced the other end wire through the bundle jumble of wires to where it goes down through the deck - presumably to the engine. I'm guessing this connects to the ignition somehow. Will get into it this weekend.

I think you are on the right track.

Had some time this weekend to resolve this problem. After looking all through the wiring, I decided to pull the small panel with the ignition switch (which really can't be accessed from laying on your back inside the console), because the alarm is ignition related.
Sure enough, on the back of the emergency cut-off switch there was a female spade connector that had been partially crimped, but now had no wire in it.
You can see it in the picture below. It's the blue one. I fixed the connection, put it all back together, and it works fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

20180318_124551.jpg 20180318_124615.jpg

Thanks for posting what happened. It will help someone else down the road.

Back