Back your pontoon into its slip?

jimmiefan48

Reaction score
We will be putting our pontoon at a marina this year. My recollection (from what I can remeber) is that ponttoons typically are docked facing forward into the slip, at marinas.

Is there a reason for this? Is there any reason we shouldn't keep our pontoon backed into our slip? We only have a gate on one side and its on the side that would be on the dock, if we backed it in.

Perhaps its my own limited experience parking our boat but after a season of practice I don't think i could manage backing in.  These boats have so much surface area for the wind to push around that it is always a bit of a dance to even pull in forward.  While I'm sure I could get the back of the boat to the dock I don't think I would have the same control over where the nose of the boat ended up.  Likely we would end up bumping the boat that parks next to us.

I've always pulled into my slip nose first.  And that allows me to walk directly onto and off the nose of my boat.

If I pulled tail first into my slip, I'd be chomping the propeller into the rocks on the lake bottom.  Backing out and maneuvering out is no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a single slip with double fingers and pull in nose first

It's much easier just pulling in.

Trust me I've seen new owners ram the dock PULLING in cause they dumb thumb the throttle. Imagine backing your motor into the dock. And yes, I've heard that too, and it ain't pretty.

Probably more of a marina "rules" issue.  I back in so the side door is on the dock assigned to us, even though you have access to both sides.  I haven't had any issues yet, however, my wife thinks she wants to get her boat license..... we may switch to pulling in forward!!!  The marina maint guys like it when it's backed in as it's easier to provide service when needed.

Do you have a lift? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd make sure.

I was planning to keep mine bow first, but it's a rather narrow entryway to a fixed dock with only a partial catwalk on one side. Getting the mooring cover on and then getting off the boat, since the cover goes over the whole bow, is extremely difficult.   Also, our motor sticks out from the rear pilings quite a bit, making it seem exposed to other boats.  The marina owner is suggesting we move to a nearby slip which is larger (in both length and width) and back in.  We backed in at the dealer's marina and my wife and I got pretty good at managing the cover and getting on/off from the aft deck.  

Any advice on why I shouldn't back in?

My preference would be to go in bow first to avoid the risk of damaging the motor, but getting that cover snapped after getting off is a huge limiting factor, especially when the water is down (we have 3 foot tides).  

I have a snap tool and taped it tight to a pole, but that was very difficult to use, especially since by that point I already had to put in the poles, which makes the cover tighter.  It sure would be nice to have a floating dock or a longer finger slip, but no marina around here has those.

Does anyone else have to disembark via the bow?  If so, how do you get the cover snapped?   

I park bow forwards and exit through the bow.  Have fingers on each side of the boat and when I put my mooring cover on I start at the back and work it towards the front, having fingers on the side does make it easy 

We have one finger slip on the port side only that is 5' shorter than the boat.  I start with the cover rolled up laying on the end of the loungers.  I step over the cover onto the aft deck and snap the back row.  I roll the cover forward to the first pole opening.  While stepping on the cover, i snap both sides.  I then get in-front of the cover and insert the pole.  Unrolling the cover, I snap both sides from inside the boat then place poles when i get to the hole.  When close to the front fence, I leave the side loose with the finger pier and snap the starboard side to the front of the boat.   I then throw the cover over the fence, step on it and onto the dock in-front of the bow.  I sit down and snap the front closed.  We finish snapping any loose snaps on the port side from the dock.  The poles are all pre-adjusted and numbered.  Less than 5 minutes to close the boat up.  

You could have a couple zippers put up front. Everything else could be snapped, then zip, zip, and do the remaining snaps. I had this done on the rear of my travel cover. Photos in my gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back