Bargaining tips?

They did throw in the safety stuff (extinguisher, PFDs, cushion) and fenders, lines, an anchor and a full tank. I'm pretty happy, can't wait until May now!

The fire extinguisher comes with the boat, They didn't "throw it in".

I purchased our 2016 SSRX with 115 hp, express tube and tandem trailer for 31k in October of 2015. Went in to local dealer at the beginning to get prices first price quoted was 25% off Msrp at 34K. Then went shopping at other dealers a ways away prices were @15-20% off.
First local dealer called me back 2 weeks later and said if I was still interested I said yes, whats the best you can do? He came back with 30% off. I countered with dealer including jackets and ropes, and would be down in the morning with cash..
We have been very happy with the boat.

I would say wait for a boat show. Ours are in January and July. We placed a build order at the show. We had previously been to the same dealership and it saved us nearly $7k waiting for the show, which allowed us to get the trailer and still saving a couple grand from the cost of JUST the boat from the dealership. Oh, and its technically a 2018 boat, with new 2018 colors.

The fire extinguisher comes with the boat, They didn't "throw it in".
Ours is coming with that, the anchor, tie off ropes, life jackets, bumpers, throw life preserver, safety kit, and t-shirts.

If this were a couple of years ago I would tell you that 25% to 30% off should be your goal because that was almost common. Not anymore it seems. Bennington raising prices faster than the attention span of a fly isn't helping.

One thing you could try: the next time you talk to this dealer, and hopefully that will be when they contact you, is to TELL THEM thanks but no thanks and that you're going to wait for the boat show. The one thing a dealer hates most is to see a customer with other options walking away. It's like playing with a cat with a laser ... watch what happens to the cat when the laser goes around a blind corner.

I posted this on the related topic. It's appropriate here, too.
++++++++++
OK, a little moderator input here so that this discussion can continue in a positive way.

Please remember that discounts, preparation/delivery costs, etc. are all variable and are a business decision based on a specific deal, by a specific dealer, on a specific date in time. Factors that influence these decisions might include market trends (supply and demand), inventory (or lack thereof), number of prior model year boats in inventory, finance status of the dealer's inventory, time of year, boat show offers, incentives from the factory (or motor manufacturer) and a host of other factors which may or may not be apparent to a prospective buyer.

It would not be realistic to expect a deal that Dealer A has offered (or made in the past) can or should be expected to be made by Dealer B.

Let's proceed with caution and agree to understand that dealership pricing decisions are complicated and deal specific. If we can hold to that, this topic can stay here for continued conversation. Deal?

Also, Yamaha just announced a 6 year warranty on outboards until November 21, 2017.
We got the 3+3 warranty and are thrilled.

In the spirit of sharing how dealers may be able to share additive savings and discounts, I offer my recent experience. This isn't one-upmanship, but rather to illustrate some dealers are free sharing discounts, some of which we may not even be aware. My dealer knows he earned my future business for service, storage, fuel and supplies - all of which makes for a long term strategic partnership.

I bought a 2018 22SSRXP with SPS, 150HP Yamaha, power steering, Sharkskin and many upgrades and goodies. My starting discount was 25.5%. My dealer avoided the 2018 price increase (about 1.5% on this package) with his program purchases in 2017 - and passed that savings along to me, too. Add to that a boat show discount, Yamaha $750 discount and $500 Yamaha coupon (only good for 150 HP) and I wound up with a little over 30% total reduction compared to a fresh factory build (with 2018 prices). He also added a complete safety package and a full tank of fuel. All of this without stressful negotiation, pressure or regrets. I am a happy man.

With all of this in mind, my dealer is high volume; he may have earned other incentives that allow deeper discounts (though this is pure speculation on my part). I hope this is informative.

In the spirit of sharing how dealers may be able to share additive savings and discounts, I offer my recent experience. This isn't one-upmanship, but rather to illustrate some dealers are free sharing discounts, some of which we may not even be aware. My dealer knows he earned my future business for service, storage, fuel and supplies - all of which makes for a long term strategic partnership.

I bought a 2018 22SSRXP with SPS, 150HP Yamaha, power steering, Sharkskin and many upgrades and goodies. My starting discount was 25.5%. My dealer avoided the 2018 price increase (about 1.5% on this package) with his program purchases in 2017 - and passed that savings along to me, too. Add to that a boat show discount, Yamaha $750 discount and $500 Yamaha coupon (only good for 150 HP) and I wound up with a little over 30% total reduction compared to a fresh factory build (with 2018 prices). He also added a complete safety package and a full tank of fuel. All of this without stressful negotiation, pressure or regrets. I am a happy man.

With all of this in mind, my dealer is high volume; he may have earned other incentives that allow deeper discounts (though this is pure speculation on my part). I hope this is informative.
Nice going! That deal will make your new boat even sweeter.

Back