Bennington LED question

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
So here's a question, is it possible to have the LED's be red instead of blue? Or has Bennington thought about doing RGB lights? If you haven't noticed, I have a thing for red, and would much rather have red LED'S. Just wondering if it's possible, and if not, then why not?

Derrick

The wiring is there. It's up to the dealer installer on what color you want

Todd

The wiring is there. It's up to the dealer installer on what color you want

Todd
Well sure the wiring is there, but I would have to pay Bennington for the blue lights, then pull this off and scrap them and then pay to get red ones and install. I'm referring to when you order a NEW boat, there should be the choice of at least red or blue, heck even white should be an option. Just a thought. It could be cupholders and everything!

Derrick

Derrick, I thought the factory supplied the wiring and the dealer installed the lights. Might be wrong. Steve
Hmm, not sure, I believe that the dealer installs the lights, just like they install the raised helm, but it still comes from Bennington. I believe, otherwise everyone would have different lighting, and we all get blue.

Derrick

Dealer installs lights. Bennington only provides wiring and switch on the dash

You could ask for any color you want.

Todd

My dealer got the lights from a supplier that bennington recommend. I'm sure I could have got other colors but wanted underwater and cup holders lights to all match along with Bimini top lights

My dealer got the lights from a supplier that bennington recommend. I'm sure I could have got other colors but wanted underwater and cup holders lights to all match along with Bimini top lights

Okay, so you say you could have gotten any color but wanted it to match. I want it to match as well, but I would want red. For all. Bimini, cupholders, underwater and side. Bennington offers blue. Question remains, why only blue? I also still have a hard time believing that Bennington just wires the lighting and the dealer has to source the lights. How could Bennington put a price of $900+ dollars for side lighting and leave it up to the dealer to figure out. The company's available for the lighting in the USA might not be available in Canada. So it must be supplied with the boat by Bennington. In my opinion, which really doesn't count for anything!

Derrick

Maybe something changed since my 2011, as my invoice price from bennington was 167 dollars for the side wiring. I paid 600 to the dealer for the lights.

Todd

Hey Todd, you don't happen to have a pic showing your rub rail protectors on your boat do you? I thought about getting them, then didn't, I never drive my boat onto the trailer, just pull rope and winch it on, and the heavy duty rub rail is marked and kinda dented from the bunk stops, just wondered how they look when the boat is just cruising. Thanks.

Oh and yeah if you go into the building a boat its over $900 for side, $700 for underwater, so I figure it must include the lights. It also specifically says 'blue' Maybe TB could chime in and just let me/us know if there is any plan to offer or reasoning not to offer other colors. Albeit its simpler to offer one color, one option as it saves having multiples of cupholders in different colors, but if it's about simplicity, they wouldn't offer 52 floor plans with all the different options. I see LED color choice as the same type of option as panel color, personal preference.

Derrick

They told my dealer, "Panel Option" was ONLY available if buying an led option...........

Derrick, let me check on the bunk guards. I do have one in my gallery where I am holding them up to the ss rubrail to see how they looked.

I'd be curious to see if underwater and side leds were an option before the 2011 model year. Maybe they had some issues with their recommend suppliers and dealers didn't know how to install the properly so they decided to do it at the factory now? The dealer that did mine did a very nice job. Lots of mounts and tie straps to keep them level and protected.

Todd

Bulldog -

When you look at a bright light at night, you can't see in the dark again until after your eyes have had time to adjust... I saw a boating show on TV tonight that said red lights have the least impact on your night vision.

When I saw it on the show, I immediately thought of this thread. So, thought I'd post this as just one more reason for red LEDs.

Well done kaydano!! Now if only we can get Bennington to "see the light" and make'em in red!! Haha

Derrick

Does anyone have pics of the side lights in daylight ? Preferably closeups of where they mount under the deck. I have only seen the night pics, not the actual lights themselves. Thinking of having them added this winter. Haven't spoken to the dealer yet. Wondering how difficult to get the harness and wiring thru the solid underdeck waveshield. Thanks Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have red, green or white leds you are violating the navigation regulations. Blue can get you in trouble but not like the other colors. There are several threads about the lighting issue and the water patrol.

Actually if you have ANY other lights on your are violating the laws,

NIGHT OPERATION AND LIGHTS

All vessels must show required running lights between the hours of sunset and sunrise and during periods of restricted visibility, such as fog and heavy rain. A sailboat operating under power and sail must display the proper running lights for a powerboat. Navigation lights are restricted to the colors red, green and white. No lights of any type except for the required navigation lights may be displayed. Navigation lights are designed to identify the type of boat and its situation (underway, direction of travel, at anchor, etc.) on the water. Boats underway include drifting boats. Night boaters should carry spare bulbs, fuses, batteries and a flashlight.

The navigation lights required for boats are determined by the boat’s length and whether it is powered by machinery, sail, paddles or oars.

NEW REGULATION: It is illegal to use docking lights, while underway, except when docking and the boat is traveling at slow, no wake speed and is within 100 feet of approaching a dock, a mooring buoy or the shoreline. A docking light is a flood or spotlight type of light permanently installed or permanently mounted on a motorboat that is used to illuminate a boat’s forward course of travel

So if your already breaking the law, might as well go all the way!

Derrick

Found this on offshore only Site,

California Harbors and Navigation Code 650-674

652.5. (a) The use of a distinctive blue light as prescribed by the department is reserved for law enforcement vessels and may be displayed during the day or night whenever the vessel may be engaged in direct law enforcement activities, including, but not limited to, those activities specified in subdivision (a) of Section 663.7, where identification of a law enforcement vessel is desirable or where necessary for safety reasons.

( B) That light when used shall be in addition to prescribed lights and day signals required by law.

© The display of such blue lights on vessels for other purposes is prohibited.

(d) Any vessel approaching, overtaking, being approached, or being overtaken by a moving law enforcement vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated blue light, or any vessel approaching a stationary law enforcement vessel displaying an illuminated blue light, shall immediately slow to a speed sufficient to maintain steerage only, shall alter its course, within its ability, so as not to inhibit or interfere with the operation of the law enforcement vessel, and shall proceed, unless otherwise directed by the operator of the law enforcement vessel, at the reduced speed until beyond the area of operation of the law enforcement vessel.

(e) The operator of every cable ferry shall take whatever reasonable action is necessary to provide a clear course for any law enforcement vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated blue light, or both.

Back