Bennington Pontoon motor, cover, trim issues

Railmonkey

Reaction score
I bought a new 2575QSR (with Evenrude G2)which is a fair amount of money.  Shortly after delivery last August it would suddenly cut out and stop. Warning lights would come on and I would be able to restart. I put the boat in this weekend and on the short trip from the loading area it cut out three times on me, each time I would have to turn off the ignition and restart. I didn't notice any warning lights this time. I had the boat looked at last year and they confirmed the error codes and the fact it kept on stopping. I was able to continue to use the boat and had to put up with the hassle of never knowing when it was going to happen again and if in fact it would restart everytime. The local dealer said he would look into it and get back but never did. He did check over the boat and confirmed there was a problem and made sure all software updates had been installed, which they had.  End of season came and I put it aside until this weekend. Now the dealer says he is busy with new sales and a backup of repair work.  I get that but it seems to me having spent close to 80k I should be top of the list. I will revert back to the dealer that sold me the machine but very disappointed. On another short note when I put the boat in the water I noticed the trim around the fridge had rusted over the winter and the damn cover ripped while I was taking it off. I know those covers aren't cheap but I thought I would get six months out of it.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Railmonkey I would definitely deal with the dealer you bought the boat from

Sorry to hear you're having problems. There is nothing worse than a motor that stops in the middle of the lake.

The cover and the fridge would be covered under the Bennington warranty, which you'll have to pursue with the dealer.

Since the dealer isn't successfully diagnosing the problem with the Evinrude, ask for it to be escalated to a Bombardier/Evinrude field rep or call them directly as this seems like it isn't a Bennington issue. I did this with a Johnson (Suzuki) 4-stroke EFI on my last pontoon and the Suzuki rep actually came to my house at the dock. At the time, they knew it was a common issue and beyond the dealer's ability with their computer. He was able to diagnose it and fix without much issue in that case.

Yours may be entirely different, but something's definitely not right and needs to be fixed. Feedback on the G2's in general is rock solid and owners love them, so hopefully this can be remedied without too much fuss, and you'll also enjoy it for years. Good luck!

Before this thread derails quickly, going forward, PLEASE refrain from posting further about "customer service" complaints in this thread.  

To keep everything on track, first, please contact your dealer again (and document) everything discussed. If your dealer refuses to help and or "blows you off", then please contact one of the mods (private message) on the forum with all your info and we will forward your info to the appropriate persons.

This may sound somewhat harsh, and it's not meant to be, but the forum is not where "customer service/warranty issues" are to be handled. Not that we won't direct you in the right direction, but usually these threads get out of hand quickly.

Thanks !!

Best place for info about Evinrude etec outboards is here   http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ 

Your Bennington dealer should be your "goto" place for issues but this Evinrude website has a lot of experts who can and will help you also.  I'd be surprised if you don't get some help from some of the guys who are very knowledgeable on both G1 and G2 versions.  

Back