Bennington tri toon

harse

Reaction score
We are going to get a new tri toon this spring. We are looking a 2 different boat a 2250 GSR ESP with a 250hp yamaha and a South Bay 522 RS TT with a 250hp mercury verado Pro. The boats would be set up with about the same option. I like the mercury motor better because that is all I ever have had. Also the South Bay toons are 3 25" toons with lifting stacks on the middle toon and lifting stacks on the inside of the outside toons.

Here's the question is the yamaha 250 a good motor?

Is the yamaha SHO 4 stroke better motor more power?

Is the elliptical center toon that much better then just a 25" center toon with lifting stacks?

Anything else we should be looking for in the boats?

The boats are prices are close only about 2,000 different between the two.

We are looking at ordering a boat by the begging of February. Any help would be good Thanks.

I also prefer the Mercury .

Benningtons Warranty is 7 years South Bay is 5 

Here is a Bennington video detailing construction points .

Heard nothing but good things about the yamaha from several of my friends that are bass fisherman, they think the SHO four stroke is the best low maintenance and most are offering a 5 year warranty.

I spent 7 years looking finally settled on a 2013 2574 GCW with the 200 SHO yamaha led lighting package 32 elliptical center tube and power assisted steering (a must). We were looking for the rear loungers and it came down to Bennington and Berkshire. We felt the workmanship in the Bennington far exceeded the Berkshire, felt like Berkshire was attracting us on the bigger motor and bells and whistle, dealer was trying to upgrade the stereo and such to make the deal. The cushions on the rear loungers were much better.

I think it comes down to several things as a new owner. What you want and what you can live with, there are things I would change now that I own one, larger center tube gas tank and sport arch that wasn't available at the time. I think the motors are both great, it comes down to the boat and how the dealer, builder warranties it, I have already had my tac break waiting on better weather to fix it, and have had good response from the dealer so far.

Good luck in your search will be glad to have you aboard when you decide

I would also investigate resale value, I've heard. Bennington resale is quite remarkable. I set my boat up to keep forever, but, you never know when you might need to sell it. I love my 250 SHO, but I would not have any issues with Verado hanging off the back. I went with the SHO based on the mass bass boat usage and the wear and tear they put on them.

To answer your specific questions:

Here's the question is the yamaha 250 a good motor? Many bass fishermen that switched from 2 strokes wouldn't have anything else.

Is the yamaha SHO 4 stroke better motor more power? They're probably comparable. The SHO is supposedly really strong in mid range power--where pontoons are run.

Is the elliptical center toon that much better then just a 25" center toon with lifting stacks? The elliptical center toon goes into a tight turn leaning to the inside, and they corner substantially better.

Anything else we should be looking for in the boats? Resale value and strength in the retail market. Out of all the pontoon brands, there are just two manufacturers experiencing great increases in sales, and one is not South Bay. You don't see used Benningtons sitting on dealer lots for very long, as they're in very high demand.

The boat shows in big cities are going on in the next 8 weeks. Do yourself and go see all the brands of boats. The chances are you'll see the difference in boats, quality of upholstery and in general construction. There is a difference between the brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the resale value .I am only loosing about $2500 trading in my 2013  22'  SLX .Getting roughly 31% off list on a 2014 2375 RCW Sport Arch .

They do hold their value .

Bennington bolts their decks to the crossmembers. South Bay screws theirs. Where else are they cutting corners? The warranty difference tells all.

We were able to order the 2014 as the 2013 held it's value quite well. Buyer paid what I did for it before sales tax. I'd say that's pretty good! Not to mention I had a million calls on it when it was listed.

We were able to order the 2014 as the 2013 held it's value quite well. Buyer paid what I did for it before sales tax. I'd say that's pretty good! Not to mention I had a million calls on it when it was listed.
I have mine listed the same place you did ,not one call .( only a solicitor ) I know I am not over priced ,only $1500 over what the dealer is giving on a trade .Got to be the time of year .

after watching the 19 min video, its makes me really proud to be a benny owner. nothing wrong with mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Johnson/Evinrude, any of the engines are great engines.

Bennington bolts their decks to the crossmembers. South Bay screws theirs. Where else are they cutting corners? The warranty difference tells all.
Well I don't see any decks flying off those South Bays at over 100 mph with 3 big Mercs hanging off the transom.  :rolleyes:   But, for the few grand difference there is no question in my mind that I'd choose the Bennington.  The Bennington G series offers higher quality everything as opposed to the SB 500 series.  Performance wise, both great engines.  But.......the Verado 250 Pro is a STOUT powerplant and IS quieter than the Yamaha.  You can't go wrong with either though.

Well I don't see any decks flying off those South Bays at over 100 mph with 3 big Mercs hanging off the transom.  :rolleyes:   But, for the few grand difference there is no question in my mind that I'd choose the Bennington.  The Bennington G series offers higher quality everything as opposed to the SB 500 series.  Performance wise, both great engines.  But.......the Verado 250 Pro is a STOUT powerplant and IS quieter than the Yamaha.  You can't go wrong with either though.
My mother used to say you roll your eyes like that and they'll stay that way. But whatever. Would you care to explain why you think a screwed deck and a bolted deck are comparable?

Thanks everyone for your input about the tritoon. We had a 188L Benington for 11 years and really like the boat. We sold the bennington and our malibu ski boat last fall to get a tri toon this spring. Then we only have one boat to deal with. I know benningtons quality and how well they hold up but the South Bay looks pretty good too. My biggest this is the boats performance. I want to be able to put a tuber or skier with 7-8 people on the boat and not have to worry about not being able to do give the person a good pull behind the boat. So is the ESP that much better? Have been on a South Bay tri toon but not a bennington dealer did not have a tri toon in stock. with winter here we wanted to order the boat before spring to have it here for the summer.

If you can find used  comparable South Bay and Bennington . See which one holds their value more .

I don't know if there is a place similar to Kelly Blue Book for boats ,if there is you may want to look at that .

If you're going to be pulling skiers, I'd definitely go ESP, mainly for turns and pickup. I had 2 Malibu's as well, did the same thing as you, downsizing from too many boats, and the Bennington does it all now. Our RCW/Verado pulls big slalom skiers from deep water starts, no sweat.

Here is a great video of a Benny pulling 4 generations of skiers by someone on the board here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isQ4BhxdtvI

If you want to use the boat for skiing and tubing, get the ESP center tube and the biggest engine it can hold and you can afford.  We use ours for skiing and the turn to pick up a fallen skier is close to a runabout.  The slow speed turning around a skier to start a run will take getting use too.  At idle speeds the boats don't turn well.  You have to goose the throttle to kick the back end around.  The kids have tubed with 10 friends on board.

Have the 250 Yamaha with ESP package and heve no trouble pulling tubes or skiers with 7 or 8 people with no problem.  Great boat!

Jack

I'll have the sps package with the Yamaha 200 and am excited about the performance of that set up. it is probably closer to the south bay in which all three toons are 25". Doesn't bank in turns but still turned on a dime. Good luck with the purchase and keep us updated.

What kind of speed are you getting with the ESP? We are thinking 2250 GSR ESP with a 250 yamaha SHO with stainless prop

Back